Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 01:13 PM

527 posts, read 1,409,051 times

Advertisements

Assuming the gas has ethanol in it.
the shelf life of non-stabilized added ethanol is about 3 months, mainly because it absorbs water very easily.
If not ethanol, shelf life is much longer.

Easiest way to get rid for 6 month old ethanol is mix about half with full tank of fresh gas.
Then 2nd half in 2nd full tank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 06:33 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Even better solution. Again, even if the gas was bad (which it's not), it would be pretty diluted assuming the tank was at least half full.

In my honest opinion, probably. If you think about it, not knowing how (or bothering to learn how) to do basic maintenance on a machine that you pay thousands of dollars to purchase, operate, and insure, and that is essential to your everyday life, is pretty foolish.

You are out in left field on this.

Part of the problem with mechanically inclined people is that they think they can fix everything and half the time they wind up ****ing up the works.

Lots of us have made a good living fixing handyman mistakes.

It's great that you can fix stuff but many can't or don't want to.

Stop trying to tell people what they should do. You sound like my brother in law.

Old 10-19-2015, 06:44 AM

800 posts, read 1,297,603 times
ill be the first to say when it comes to engines i'm not well versed, I am really good at research though and can follow directions. To say i have no business owning a snowblower/mower/etc is ridiculous, i would just rather not screw up a new machine and then have to fix it due to a few dollar of bad gas; Im not tsayin i couldnt figure out how to fix it, i'd just rather not have to during the first snow storm

Old 10-19-2015, 08:28 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,980,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Stop trying to tell people what they should do. You sound like my brother in law.
Sorry, it's just my disdain for our culture "I'll-just-pay-someone-else-to-do-it" showing. I'm a white collar worker with a college education, etc...but I still see the value of mechanical skills. John Dewey, one of the founders of modern education strove for an education system that made "Every working man a scholar and every scholar a working man." In other words, it's beneficial for an auto mechanic to know a little Shakespeare, and for an accountant to know how to change his own oil.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:34 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Sorry, it's just my disdain for our culture "I'll-just-pay-someone-else-to-do-it" showing. I'm a white collar worker with a college education, etc...but I still see the value of mechanical skills. John Dewey, one of the founders of modern education strove for an education system that made "Every working man a scholar and every scholar a working man." In other words, it's beneficial for an auto mechanic to know a little Shakespeare, and for an accountant to know how to change his own oil.
Nothing more dangerous than a guy with a library full of "how to books".

Old 10-19-2015, 08:46 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,668,415 times
I love online discussion forums. Someone wants to get rid of $2 worth of gas(something a simple google search would answer) and it turns into a 2 page debate over the merits of hiring professional workers to handle maintenance on vehicles and gas powered outdoor care equipment.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:48 AM

800 posts, read 1,297,603 times
Quote:

different world we live in now, show me how many 30 year olds who can fulfill your quote. i wish i knew more mechanically but i dont, its not to say i dont know anything (I can change rotors and pads, oils, filters, etc) but yes, i work hard so i can pay someone to rebuild an engine for me because its not worth my time in many respects. i have alot of things but time is not one of them, its my scarcest commodity at the moment.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:36 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,401,706 times
Another vote for putting it in your car. I recently poured 5 gallons of 15 month old gas (no stabilizer) into my Lexus ES300h and got the same gas mileage I always get.

I also ran a few tanks of really old gas, at least 3 years old without stabilizer, through my generator during Sandy a couple years back and aside from a little more smoke in the exhaust (probably due to the water burning off), zero issues.

If you store your gas in a sealed gas can, there is no new moisture getting in and out of the system so after a couple of months, the gas has already absorbed as much moisture as it ever will. If you open the can a few times over a long period, you will have some more water in there but unless you live in an extremely humid environment you shouldn't really have any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penga25 View Post
different world we live in now, show me how many 30 year olds who can fulfill your quote. i wish i knew more mechanically but i dont, its not to say i dont know anything (I can change rotors and pads, oils, filters, etc) but yes, i work hard so i can pay someone to rebuild an engine for me because its not worth my time in many respects. i have alot of things but time is not one of them, its my scarcest commodity at the moment.
Truth. The cost to have an engine fixed is what, $30-$100 per hour? Why waste your valuable time spending hundreds of hours learning how to fix stuff just to avoid paying some piddly repair costs.

I say this as a person who is a white-collar worker who does know how to fix stuff, but I see no value in it. It's just how I overcame boredom in my teens and early twenties.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:49 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,980,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penga25 View Post
different world we live in now, show me how many 30 year olds who can fulfill your quote.
[Raises hand] OK fine, I turned 34 last week but still...

Old 10-21-2015, 03:08 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
Why don't you put it in your car?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey