Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2015, 03:03 PM

64 posts, read 107,870 times

Advertisements

Montclair Center is a jewel - Church Street, the Montclair Art Museum, the library, Whole Foods on Bloomfield, etc. To me this area is why people move to Montclair.

I know there are the other "downtowns". Upper Montclair is charming, but I don't know that Watchung Plaza compares to MC.

According to Google Maps, it's about .75 miles from Church and Bloomfield to the Walnut Street Station.

I suppose if you're lucky to live in between the two, it would be ideal. But then, you're a little far from the parks.

Even at that, the Bloomfield Park is kind of far. I guess people in that part of town use Nishuane or Glenfield?

Are there people who truly live car free in Montclair? Or does walkable mean drive to some parts and *then* walk around.

Sorry if this seems kind of dumb. It just seems like Montclair is so spread out compared to other towns in NJ that are deemed walkable. At that, Montclair Center is amazing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 03:41 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,299,392 times
I think "walkable" and "car-free" are two different things. Walkable means there are things you can walk to, adequate sidewalks connecting them, it's safe to walk (you don't have to cross major highways or walk along highway shoulders, etc). And I believe most of Montclair is walkable. You can spend an afternoon strolling Montclair Center, walk up Valley by Edgemont Park and to Upper Montclair, walk to trains, etc. Compare it to Wayne, where all the businesses are along Route 23 and you really need a car to get anywhere.

Now whether Montclair has enough in its walkable areas to sustain a car-free lifestyle is a different question. I could probably live 7 days out of 10 in Montclair happy without a car. And then I'd want a car the other 3 to get around to other places.

Old 10-25-2015, 04:46 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,425,764 times
In NJ you need a car.

I was commuting to NYC and leasing a Nissan. Floods came my bran new Nissan was paid out by my Insurance company, so for the next year I did not have a car. All I had to do was go to the dealership and sign some papers.

I live in Bloomfield those apartment buildings by Watsessing park. There is a train station for NYC across the street. Montclair downtown is like 1 mile away.

I ended up spending 3k on a used car to go shopping and visit people on the weekends and I did not drive the car on week days at all.

Then I switched jobs, and now I work in Newark (12 min commute) so I had to get a car. There is 2 dealerships across the street from me BMW and Nissan, I always get Nissan Altima, I needed a reliable car for NJ commute).

Whole food markets is something people are making fun of, it's overpriced and does not have the stuff I eat. Pathmark on Bloomfiled.ave is really horrible as well. I like Shopright, and you have to drive there.

Old 10-25-2015, 06:31 PM

78 posts, read 128,423 times
As others have already said- Unless you want to be extremely restricted, New Jersey requires a car.

By the way, the Montclair Pathmark is closing or is already closed- so that's not an option anymore, and there is no specific plan for a new grocery to go in there. I thought I read that they are going to try to run a shuttle to ShopRite, but that's no different than just taking the bus.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:36 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,747,665 times
i dont know many towns other than say Jersey City and Hoboken that are more walkable. Jersey City and Hoboken are also probably the only places i would live in NJ without a car. Though with zipcars and the like you could probably get away with it in Montclair. Plenty people do.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:05 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,425,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillsided2012 View Post
As others have already said- Unless you want to be extremely restricted, New Jersey requires a car.

By the way, the Montclair Pathmark is closing or is already closed- so that's not an option anymore, and there is no specific plan for a new grocery to go in there. I thought I read that they are going to try to run a shuttle to ShopRite, but that's no different than just taking the bus.
Were are getting a new supermarket in the new constructions by the train station

Old 10-27-2015, 09:15 AM

510 posts, read 499,924 times
I agree with the others. You will at least need one car if your live in a walkable town in NJ, and this is assuming mass transit can get you to your job and back. That being said, I would say biking is the best way to enjoy Montclair rather than walking since the town can be quiet spread out (for instance if you live near Montclair State you probably will not want to walk to Church St every single time).

Now if you want sidewalks to safely walk around the neighborhood after dinner, the town is perfect for that type of walking.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:19 AM

64 posts, read 107,870 times
Thank you for all of your thoughtful answers. I am thinking of looking in Verona, as far east as I can. It may not be walkable to Church Street or the train station, but that far east in Verona can be just as close as some remote parts of Montclair.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:49 AM

166 posts, read 326,506 times
Agreed. I looked at Montclair but settled a little more west as well. I'm closer than certain parts of montclair to Church Street. My wife and I go to Montclailr at least 3 to 4 times a month out to eat and sometimes more if there are events or other activities going on. Plus in Verona you can take advantage of downtown Caldwell and Montclair. There are actually great places in Caldwell. Dough Pizza, Calandras, Cloverleaf, There is a great Greek restaurant and like a dozen italian places. Oh and check out Fresco Italian market. Super great for prepared foods.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:49 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,141,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillsided2012 View Post

Uggg. I hope that shuttle is not going to the West Orange Shop Rite. That store is already so overcrowded as it is. It is hard to believe the lack of grocery store options in this area given how large these towns are. West Orange has close to 50k residents and only one grocery store. I do not count Whole Foods as it is simply too expensive for everyday shopping. Anyway, that Pathmark was a dump so it's good they are closing. I believe the Pathmark in South Orange has reopened as a Stop and Shop recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey