Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2015, 04:26 PM

5,155 posts, read 3,762,104 times

Advertisements

I am moving out of state for good before the Christmas Holiday. I am driving my car to my new home in a different state. Obviously I cannot take the plates off to return them then drive without plates on my car.

I know that the plates are supposed to be returned to NJ DMV but if for some reason they are lost in the mail and used by someone else I would be responsible for whatever comes down from that. The State suggests I mail them with a SASE so they can send me a receipt which supposedly would protect me and be my proof that I made an attempt to return them. Certified mail doesn't prove what I mailed if push came to shove and to be honest I would much rather take the plates off the car and leave them in the garage knowing no one would ever use the plates again.

If I do not return the plates can my license be suspended in NJ therefore causing me problems down the road in my new home state in the future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 05:10 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,980,420 times
The plates of every vehicle I've ever owned (Ive been driving for nearly 20 years now) are nailed to the wall of my garage. Does that answer your question?

Old 11-11-2015, 05:30 PM

I am inclined to do that myself. Thanks.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:25 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
Yep technically you are supposed to turn in plates that don't have insurance on them, and SOMETIMES they (NJ MVC) write you about it if they for some reason find you not doing that but similarly, I just junked one of my cars after the tranny went and kept the plates because if I buy another spare car I would use those plates because they are a special series.

Similarly we have plates in basements and sheds that we didn't turn in. Some of them I have.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:57 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,428,453 times
I don't' know what to do with my plates in the closet. Usually when I return the lease to the dealership, they give me a new car and take care of the plates.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:32 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,573,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post

If I do not return the plates can my license be suspended in NJ therefore causing me problems down the road in my new home state in the future?
Your problem is not so much the fear of some one getting and using your plates. The problem is, that most people that stop using their Plates, also drop the insurance, which raises a red flag, with the DMV who assumes your still driving the car with no insurance, since you did not turn in your plates. In my State, a fine starts building as soon as the Insurance is dropped, and you still have the tags. It increases daily, and I have seen folks fined over a thousands, and their license was suspended.

If your new State has reciprocity with NJ, you may have your license suspended there too, which will show up if a Cop stops you, or when you go for a new license or renewal. You usually have to fix your first problem, before being given a new license.

The plates people say they keep, and have had problem with, likely had insurance until they expired.

Look at it this way. The DMV did not tell you to turn in your plates, "unless" you wanted to hang them in your Garage. If there where no "Consequences" they would not have told you to return them either. Not sure what part of that you don't understand?

If your worried about them not getting there by mail, take the loose tags to a UPS Store, and have them package and ship the tags to the NJ DMV. Ask UPS to include the Tag Numbers and description of what they packed and sent. Then your done. It becomes a UPS Problem if lost. You will have a receipt.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Your problem is not so much the fear of some one getting and using your plates. The problem is, that most people that stop using their Plates, also drop the insurance, which raises a red flag, with the DMV who assumes your still driving the car with no insurance, since you did not turn in your plates. In my State, a fine starts building as soon as the Insurance is dropped, and you still have the tags. It increases daily, and I have seen folks fined over a thousands, and their license was suspended.

If your new State has reciprocity with NJ, you may have your license suspended there too, which will show up if a Cop stops you, or when you go for a new license or renewal. You usually have to fix your first problem, before being given a new license.

The plates people say they keep, and have had problem with, likely had insurance until they expired.

Look at it this way. The DMV did not tell you to turn in your plates, "unless" you wanted to hang them in your Garage. If there where no "Consequences" they would not have told you to return them either. Not sure what part of that you don't understand?

If your worried about them not getting there by mail, take the loose tags to a UPS Store, and have them package and ship the tags to the NJ DMV. Ask UPS to include the Tag Numbers and description of what they packed and sent. Then your done. It becomes a UPS Problem if lost. You will have a receipt.

I have insurance and will continue to insure the car. However the car while still insured by the same carrier will be insured in NC. Thanks for your thoughtful response.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:17 PM

586 posts, read 314,625 times
OP, I've mailed mine in a couple of times with no problem. If you're concerned, send them certified or whatever to get a signature.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:18 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,869,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
The plates of every vehicle I've ever owned (Ive been driving for nearly 20 years now) are nailed to the wall of my garage. Does that answer your question?
I think it might be wise to either put the ones back on the car you're driving now or stop driving your garage wall around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey