Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 10:24 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,810,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppad23 View Post
Cedar grove is close to the great notch train station which goes straight to ny penn
There is talk that this station will be closing. There is inadequate parking there also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 05:58 AM

56 posts, read 290,781 times
Default Various towns, commute options

Montclair is probably the best for commute by train. As many have noted, the taxes and not easy. All the towns, options mentioned are correct. There's also Bloomfield - Brookdale and Oakview sections well regarded. There's the light rail in Bloomfield but unless you're in the downtown or historic area, it's not within walking distance. Nutley, Clifton offer easier bus service. Cedar Grove, Verona, Little Falls it's bus service or ride to neighboring town train stations. Of course, the easiest place to park for a midtown direct train may be the train station at Montclair State University (huge parking deck), which is really in Little Falls and easily gotten to from CG and Verona. I understand about Rutherford and Lyndhurst not having a certain vibe. The amenities of Montclair frankly is what keeps people in the towns surrounding it. Some towns, like Glen Ridge and West Orange (and the south end of Montclair) have jitneys that go to the train stations. NJ Transit website is pretty thorough and helpful. Good luck!

Old 02-06-2008, 02:50 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,365,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorsee View Post
Thanks everyone for all the great info and ideas. I really like certain areas of Rutherford and Nutley and the commute isn't bad from there either. However Rutherford taxes are high, houses are very expensive and they either have very old tiny houses(still expensive) or huge Victorians(which I love but can't afford).

I'm looking to spend around 400k to 550k, single family, atleast 3 bedrooms/1.5-2 bath. It would be nice to have a backyard and area must be safe and within 45-50mins to NY. West Orange to NY in 40 mins sounds really good...is the area safe?

Does anyone know how long it takes NJTransit(bus or train) from CG or Verona to NYC? Under an hour?

I will look around Little falls to see how the area is....not too familiar with North Jersey but learning a lot about them by reading on this forum

I'd say with proper research you could find a house for that price in a safe area.

West Orange has its parts. The western half of the town is nice. Some of the areas people talk about would be the Gregory and St. Cloud sections. However, again, taxes come into play. How much are you willing to spend? I have friends in/around West Orange who have spent anywhere from 10-13+k on taxes for a year.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:28 PM

19 posts, read 134,089 times
I agree that Montclair/Verona would be the best as far as commute goes. I'd like to spend as little as possible on taxes but it seems like in NJ you have two choices: Move further away from NYC and commute for 2.5 hours each way or pay the high taxes to live in safe areas that are closer to the city. I'd like to buy a single family house for under 500k with taxes no more than 10k. Is that possible in the areas I'm interested in? Can someone tell me how much tax I can expect to pay in Verona. I've driven around Montclair/Verona a couple times and there's not much I know about the town. It would be great if people can share more information on the town itself......

Old 02-15-2008, 03:56 PM

15 posts, read 32,205 times
Default safety and schooling in Montclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by frannyb View Post
Hi-

These towns do not have direct trains to NYC...you would likely have to take a bus into Manhattan. Montclair on the other hand does in fact have many train stations with direct train service into Penn Station. I am a Realtor and would be happy to give you any further information that you may need about the area...(no obligation...I was only on this site for personal reasons)

frannyb
Hi frannyb I am planning to move to Montclair in June 2008. I will be starting my Residency training at the Trinitas hospital in Elizabeth from July 2008 and we are seriously looking at Montclair to rent an apartment/2 BR house. Can anyone give me a realistic idea how safe is the town and regarding the schooling(7th grade) ? and how easy/difficult is it commuting to Elizabeth, NJ from Montclair ?

Old 02-26-2008, 04:52 PM

46 posts, read 166,635 times
I live in the Gregory Section of West Orange and my commute to Manhattan couldn't be an easier. I can walk 1/2 block and catch the Jitney to the train station or I can walk a 1/2 block in the other direction and catch the bus.

I usually get to the office early & take the 6:45 Jitney to the Orange train station (The other 2 times the Jitney comes by it takes you to the South Orange train station)......that train makes one stop and I'm in Penn Station before 7:30. As a bonus, I always get a seat on that train.

Taxes are over 10K for most our neighbors....ours is just over 12K

Old 03-02-2008, 04:50 AM

5 posts, read 25,115 times
have you considered Little Falls? I live literally next to Montclair State in a co op development and right outside my door are the midtown direct and buses to the city....one of the reasons I bought here. It is 30 minutes door to door

Old 03-02-2008, 04:52 AM

5 posts, read 25,115 times
There is inadequate parking there but I live next to it and in my development you can purchase parking for daily commuters (Inwood) and it is literally on the grounds; I did not know it may be closing/upsetting for me

Old 12-30-2009, 07:15 AM

13 posts, read 68,242 times
Does anyone know where in verona the midtown bus stops? Looking for homes in Montclair and Verona, preferbaly Montclair but there's not much out there this time of year in the $400-$600k range. Found a nice house in Verona but am unfamiliar with the midtown commute from there. This particular home is walking distance to Bloomfield ave which may help. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey