Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 03:27 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times

Advertisements

Subways shouldnt be too bad, i remember bringing my kids when they where very young around the city..

Oh and BTW Staten Island is one of the 5 boroughs of NYC and they have those funky rules like no turn on red anywhere but with no signs posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 04:41 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,625,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Subways shouldnt be too bad, i remember bringing my kids when they where very young around the city..

Oh and BTW Staten Island is one of the 5 boroughs of NYC and they have those funky rules like no turn on red anywhere but with no signs posted.
Thanks!

Old 01-17-2016, 05:06 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,853,670 times
Quote:

Having grown up in Brooklyn when we moved to NJ I found being allowed to turn right on a red light rather disturbing. <g>

Old 01-17-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
That's why i'm heistant about taking the bus because the money would add up since we'll be in the area for 5 days and I know we will be going back and forth from NJ to NYC for 4 out of those 5 days. So you're basically saying our best bet would be to drive to the Staten Island Ferry, park there and take the Ferry to get in and out of the city. And while were in the city(mostly Manhattan and we might go to Brooklyn once) just buy a 7 day metrocard to get around in Manhattan till we're ready to go back to NJ and take the SI Ferry again?

And we won't drive in and around NYC only NJ. Everybody in my family agreed we don't want to take that drive in the Big Apple. But you've been a HUGE HELP! I was almost starting 2nd guess the idea of going to NYC. My only hesitation was the Subway experience once i'm in the city. We have 3 small kids and i'm just a little curious how "crazy" the subways get.

The kids will love the subway. Just be sure they don't go near the edge of the platform while awaiting a train. If they're young enough than hold their hands on the platform. You might want to avoid the worst crush of the a.m. / p.m. rush hours.

You can see MTA subway & bus maps at: MTA | Subway, Bus, Long Island Rail Road, Metro-North

The buses can get very crowded & don't be surprised to hear the bus driver yelling at people to move towards the back. LOL

Don't be afraid to ask directions from people, either in NJ or the City. I'm sure you'll find people helpful.

One tip - often when you swipe your MetroCard it doesn't read it the first time. Be sure to stay at the same turnstile & swipe it again. Don't move over to a different turnstile. The screen will tell you when it's read properly & you can go through.

You can use the MetroCard on the subway, MTA buses & on the PATH train.

If you're parking in Staten Island than you shouldn't have need of the PATH train.

I agree that with 13 people it might be better to drive to Staten Island & take the ferry.

On the Manhattan side the ferry will drop you at the southern tip of Manhattan. You can walk from there to the South Street Seaport, to the Museum of the American Indian, to the World Trade Center & other places.

New York, NY | National Museum of the American Indian
National September 11 Memorial & Museum | World Trade Center Memorial

Or, get on the subway or a bus that stops right near the ferry & head to the Village, midtown or uptown.

Five days won't be nearly enough time to see everything that can be seen in the city.

What ages are the kids traveling with you?

Old 01-17-2016, 10:59 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
I was going to mention Plan B and or Plan C,
You could drive to Harrison NJ and park in the parking garage and take the PATH train into the city, The PATH train is something like $2.75 each way but you might be able to buy multiple discounted passes which brings it down to $2.10, not certain what the parking rate is.

Plan C would be to drive to North Bergen Park and Ride, a big outdoor parking lot with a bus service to NYC not far from the Lincoln Tunnel where all the highways meet. Looks like one ticket with parking is $10 which includes a round trip in/out of NYC then others would pay $3.50 one way (double for round trip) and kids are either free or cheaper depending on age.

Depending on ages of kids some of the fares might be free.

The SI Ferry still looks like the cheapest way in with that many people going in together.

Some links on plan B and C:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ha...3a3fb2c9?hl=en

LAZ Parking - Harrison Parking Center

https://www.google.com/maps/place/No...9c25791ad77993
5:0xdfe5afff2c86ad8c

https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0320.pdf

Old 01-18-2016, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
The kids will love the subway. Just be sure they don't go near the edge of the platform while awaiting a train. If they're young enough than hold their hands on the platform. You might want to avoid the worst crush of the a.m. / p.m. rush hours.

You can see MTA subway & bus maps at: MTA | Subway, Bus, Long Island Rail Road, Metro-North

The buses can get very crowded & don't be surprised to hear the bus driver yelling at people to move towards the back. LOL

Don't be afraid to ask directions from people, either in NJ or the City. I'm sure you'll find people helpful.

One tip - often when you swipe your MetroCard it doesn't read it the first time. Be sure to stay at the same turnstile & swipe it again. Don't move over to a different turnstile. The screen will tell you when it's read properly & you can go through.

You can use the MetroCard on the subway, MTA buses & on the PATH train.

If you're parking in Staten Island than you shouldn't have need of the PATH train.

I agree that with 13 people it might be better to drive to Staten Island & take the ferry.

On the Manhattan side the ferry will drop you at the southern tip of Manhattan. You can walk from there to the South Street Seaport, to the Museum of the American Indian, to the World Trade Center & other places.

New York, NY | National Museum of the American Indian
National September 11 Memorial & Museum | World Trade Center Memorial

Or, get on the subway or a bus that stops right near the ferry & head to the Village, midtown or uptown.

Five days won't be nearly enough time to see everything that can be seen in the city.

What ages are the kids traveling with you?
Thanks for the suggestions and I have 2 nieces that are 8 and a nephew who is 9 years old.

Quote:
I was going to mention Plan B and or Plan C,
You could drive to Harrison NJ and park in the parking garage and take the PATH train into the city, The PATH train is something like $2.75 each way but you might be able to buy multiple discounted passes which brings it down to $2.10, not certain what the parking rate is.

Plan C would be to drive to North Bergen Park and Ride, a big outdoor parking lot with a bus service to NYC not far from the Lincoln Tunnel where all the highways meet. Looks like one ticket with parking is $10 which includes a round trip in/out of NYC then others would pay $3.50 one way (double for round trip) and kids are either free or cheaper depending on age.

Depending on ages of kids some of the fares might be free.

The SI Ferry still looks like the cheapest way in with that many people going in together.

Some links on plan B and C:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ha...3a3fb2c9?hl=en

LAZ Parking - Harrison Parking Center

https://www.google.com/maps/place/No...9c25791ad77993
5:0xdfe5afff2c86ad8c

https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0320.pdf

Thanks once again. I talked to my family about it and we like the option of going on the Ferry so we'll stick with that.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:23 PM

OK, 3 kids ages 8 to 9. Do the kids have cell phones? If not, it might be a good idea for someone to lend each child a phone. It's very easy to get separated from each other.

Check this out - best things to see with kids in NYC.
The 45 Best Things To Do with Kids in New York

Note that I just read that the Sony Wonder Technology Lab is closing at end of January. Very sad news. That place was the best. It's still listed at the above site.

Personal favorites:

Museum of Natural History & Hayden Planetarium is a must. American Museum of Natural History
The kids & the adults will have a great time.

From the Staten Island Ferry take the 1 train. 1 train stops at Broadway and West 79th Street.

Also, Metropolitan Museum of Art. Home | The Metropolitan Museum of Art The kids will like the displays of knight's armor (including Henry VIII's oversized one) & also the Egyptian displays.

At the Met you can split up. Have one or two of the adults take the kids to the displays that they'll enjoy & the other adults can see whatever other displays they may enjoy.
Directions: Getting Here | The Metropolitan Museum of Art

Old 01-18-2016, 12:55 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:

Just be smart and don't use the subways during rush hour.

Old 01-18-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Agree. It gets so crowded at those times & it would become easier for your group to get split-up if you can't all fit in the same subway car.

If all 13 people are traveling at one time than break up into assigned smaller groups. 13 people trying to get on the subway through one subway door is not going to end well. <g>

Disperse with each group a few feet apart on the platform so that when the train arrives you're not all trying to squeeze through the same door.

Make sure everyone knows which stop you're all getting off at.

It will all be simpler traveling during non-rush hours.

After the first day you'll all be pros at traveling underground throughout the City !

Old 01-19-2016, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
OK, 3 kids ages 8 to 9. Do the kids have cell phones? If not, it might be a good idea for someone to lend each child a phone. It's very easy to get separated from each other.

Check this out - best things to see with kids in NYC.
The 45 Best Things To Do with Kids in New York

Note that I just read that the Sony Wonder Technology Lab is closing at end of January. Very sad news. That place was the best. It's still listed at the above site.

Personal favorites:

Museum of Natural History & Hayden Planetarium is a must. American Museum of Natural History
The kids & the adults will have a great time.

From the Staten Island Ferry take the 1 train. 1 train stops at Broadway and West 79th Street.

Also, Metropolitan Museum of Art. Home | The Metropolitan Museum of Art The kids will like the displays of knight's armor (including Henry VIII's oversized one) & also the Egyptian displays.

At the Met you can split up. Have one or two of the adults take the kids to the displays that they'll enjoy & the other adults can see whatever other displays they may enjoy.
Directions: Getting Here | The Metropolitan Museum of Art
Thx for the list and directions, The Sony Wonder Technology Lab closing and I just found out about Toy's R Us in Times Square closed. I know the kids will be heartbroken but it's NYC plenty more to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Will do, so is rush hour in NY generally around 3:00-7:00 pm? In Houston it seems to be 3:00-8:35(never know with car rush hour)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey