Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 01:47 PM

684 posts, read 713,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Ebates for turbotax coupon
thanks There is more to my tax story as well Going to get around to it next week. I should have all paperwork that I need by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 01:51 PM

323 posts, read 562,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's not that you're on the stand, but people here aren't idiots. When you tell a tale that doesn't make sense or add up, you should EXPECT people to ask questions.

Now I'm wondering what sort of "error" generates that level of scrutiny, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one, lol.
You can "wonder" all you want to. Why on earth would I lie about not receiving my NJ state income tax return? And no, I didn't tell a "tale" in my first post in this thread either way.

I do not have that much time on my hands to spin "tales" about the shady NJ tax system. The truth speaks for itself. I WISH I didn't have this problem. And interestingly enough, the 06 error was corrected. NJ is now just keeping our money because we cannot supply pay stubs and copies oF ORIGINAL W2s for the last 9 years of jobs my husband has worked.

And the "error" was an obvious one. If it wasn't, and we engaged in oh so sinister tax activities, i think the IRS would have audited us also eventually.

As it happens to be, we have never been audited by the IRS.

Last edited by LoveMyself; 02-18-2016 at 02:08 PM..

Old 02-18-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Right. When you write a post and allude (not providing the whole story) to the fact that NJ in general doesn't give timely refunds, expect to be questioned, especially to those of us who have been filing taxes for 25+ years.

I also have the additional question you have about this "error". To me it reeks of tax evasion (whether intentional or not).
Lol. Evade taxes for what? If I wanted to evade taxes, I would and I wouldn't be upset for being given the runaround concerning my money.

I do not have to provide my whole tax story to express agreement that NJ is shady when it comes to state taxes and money owed to it's citizens.

Thanks anyway.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
I work for Treasury. If you are interested I can have someone look into your issue and see what the problem is.
I most certainly would LOVE THIS. Is there a number I can call or person I can speak or be connected to directly? If possible, i do not want to be shuffled around from person to person with extraordinary wait times anymore just to be given the run around yet again. And I of course don't want to be randomly giving out my tax information without assurance that it is safe and we are legitimately having our issue looked at. My only reason for avoiding a lawyer thus far is because I do not want a chunk of our money taken for lawyer fees if it does not have to be, as we need every penny we have. But I admit, if my family is not getting our nj money either way, what's the difference?

Either way, please do advise me of the steps my husband and I need to take, and I can do it early tomorrow morning with him.

THANK YOU and I look forward to speaking with you soon!!

Old 02-18-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettybaby80 View Post
i'm getting the impression from facebook that if the amount of the refund is over 1,000, NJ will put your refund under review? i've already gotten fed and ny, just waiting on nj.
Interesting.

Some of our refunds that have been out under review are way less than 1k. One refund was less than $100. The 06 refund was about $175. Not a whole heap of money.

Our refund these last 3-4 years were pretty high, though. I'm sure it would get flagged this year either way because it is well over 1k.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
There are review procedures set up especially with the increase in identity theft. I do not work in that area so I am unsure what the amount is.

I can tell you there is always a big push to get refunds out as fast as possible.

The Division of Taxation issues the refunds but the returns are processed by the Division of Revenue. So the issue could be a processing problem or it could be in a review category.
Ah, did not know this. Everyone I have spoken to directly has been from division of taxation. They are the ones telling me why, in their elusive ways, why I am not getting my money.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Did you contact the nj tax payer advocate?
NJ Division of Taxation - Office of the Taxpayer Advocate (OTA)

This may be your best course of action. I have never worked with the state of nj's advocate but the federal division gets great results.
Never even heard of them. I'll be filling out an application to them asap. They are saying they are not accepting eitc cases right now though, and I do believe my case falls under that umbrella, as some of our refunds are from eitc.

Either way, thank you.

Old 02-18-2016, 04:14 PM

148 posts, read 220,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyself View Post
uhm yeah, there is...i did not know im on the stand? but since you asked, an error on an 06 refund got us caught in the loop we're in, and now each year we are told we need to prove who we are, employment, marital status, etc to receive our money from nj. we supply the info, and are always mailed a letter saying its processing and we will be given a decision in 60 days. we are then routinely denied our return 60 days later and told we need to supply elusive additional documents, including copies of the last 4 yearly paystubs along with original w2s from each job worked from 2006 to present. we cannot supply that, so they keep our money, and the cycle continues.

it has been happening so much we finally gave up trying. at this time they owe us at least 8,000.00.
Maybe change your deduction on W-4 or write in dependents so that you pay 0 from each pay stub from now on

Old 02-18-2016, 08:15 PM

i thought of doing this a few years ago but then always felt it was a tricky situation...i am not well versed in tax law and am terrified of making our issue worse. if i can legitimately do this in the future, it would be awesome. ill ask more about it, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey25 View Post
Maybe change your deduction on W-4 or write in dependents so that you pay 0 from each pay stub from now on

Old 02-19-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey25 View Post
i called up the division today and in a roundabout way, this was the suggestion so that i do not have to be bothered with eitc problems on all future tax returns! although the employee was being snarky and rude in the nicest possible way, he said basically the same thing...

i will certainly protect myself legally and do whatever i can to prevent this pita issue from ever happening again.

thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: