Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 09:23 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,627,203 times

Advertisements

I remember back in the 90's (had to be prior to 1995) talking to a tax assessor in a wealthy town about their high taxes. I said is it because they did not have industry. He said not really because the town had so many homes with high property taxes where the kids went to private schools those homes served the same purpose as a piece of industrial property.

He then told me there were 4 homes next to each other that combined paid over $100,000 in tax (remember this was before 1995) and they never sent a single child to any of the towns schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 09:41 AM

789 posts, read 703,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
In summary NJ taxes are so high because creativity and imagination are directed toward profit and long political careers of those elected by a constituency with infinite tolerance, bias, self interest and extremely low expectations. Mirror immages of each other.

Too bad the creativity and imagination isn't directed toward solving problems like lowering taxes and all the variables that impact conscripted tax money thought to be in infinite supply. Instead we have an heirloom elite political aristocracy who bemoans the perennial lack of cash in state, county and municipal coffers where cash is an easy substitute for creative solutions.

All rules written in a language foreign to everyone burdened by the weight of that effusive legislation, except those lawyerly few who glady intercede on our behalf with the gods of justice.....for a handsome profit. Lawyers should not be eligible for elected office as the combo of lawyer/ legislator has given us Nj as we know it.
This is just an absolutely GREAT take. Well done.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:58 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,316,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
In summary NJ taxes are so high because creativity and imagination are directed toward profit and long political careers of those elected by a constituency with infinite tolerance, bias, self interest and extremely low expectations. Mirror immages of each other.
Too bad the creativity and imagination isn't directed toward solving problems like lowering taxes and all the variables that impact conscripted tax money thought to be in infinite supply. Instead we have an heirloom elite political aristocracy who bemoans the perennial lack of cash in state, county and municipal coffers where cash is an easy substitute for creative solutions.
All rules written in a language foreign to everyone burdened by the weight of that effusive legislation, except those lawyerly few who glady intercede on our behalf with the gods of justice.....for a handsome profit. Lawyers should not be eligible for elected office as the combo of lawyer/ legislator has given us Nj as we know it.
A violation of the separation of powers. Attorneys are members of the judicial branch. Involvement (and domination) of both the legislative and executive branches are horrific conflicts of interest.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:03 AM

789 posts, read 703,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
A violation of the separation of powers. Attorneys are members of the judicial branch. Involvement (and domination) of both the legislative and executive branches are horrific conflicts of interest.
Then there is the conflict of public sector unions who are integral to any politician being elected via endorsements. So whichever politician offers the most goodies gets the endorsement and the payback of the endorsement comes via the public dime. Age old corrupt politics that gets almost zero coverage.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:20 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
Then there is the conflict of public sector unions who are integral to any politician being elected via endorsements. So whichever politician offers the most goodies gets the endorsement and the payback of the endorsement comes via the public dime. Age old corrupt politics that gets almost zero coverage.
Just open the books of any municipality and you will see the exorbitant waste and abuse. Get a copy of your local police department's PBA contract and you'll be disgusted. Continuous pay raises, overtime for having 20 cops respond to a fender bender, uniform allowances, etc.

Let's not even get started on the schools. We already know about that.

Old 03-20-2016, 04:05 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
I saw this listing for a cute Victorian in Glen Ridge, I was almost e-sold then I got floored when I saw the estimated taxes. LOL!

39 Hillside Ave, Glen Ridge, NJ 07028

Yet there is never a lack of people falling all over themselves to buy such a house. So why do people keep flocking to these neighborhoods despite the onerous tax regime?

Old 03-20-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
I saw this listing for a cute Victorian in Glen Ridge, I was almost e-sold then I got floored when I saw the estimated taxes. LOL!

39 Hillside Ave, Glen Ridge, NJ 07028

Yet there is never a lack of people falling all over themselves to buy such a house. So why do people keep flocking to these neighborhoods despite the onerous tax regime?
Tiny little Glen Ridge has its own police department. In 2015, they budgeted over $2.4 million for their PD. This does not include health benefits and pension. Last year they budgeted nearly $600K for the town's contribution to the pension system.

Take a look at Sheet 14, which only provides bare bones details: http://www.glenridgenj.org/pdfs/2015BudgetAdopted.pdf

I realize this is a wealthy town, but you'll see this in towns across the state. Just one of the hundreds of examples that explain why property taxes are so high. Too many towns, too many police departments, too many school districts, etc.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:03 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I realize this is a wealthy town, but you'll see this in towns across the state. Just one of the hundreds of examples that explain why property taxes are so high. Too many towns, too many police departments, too many school districts, etc.
What is the reason why there is a seemingly endless supply of families looking to buy homes that are leaching property taxes?

Old 03-20-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
What is the reason why there is a seemingly endless supply of families looking to buy homes that are leaching property taxes?
Not sure. I would guess it's because some are so wealthy that these tax bills are a drop in the bucket. I imagine the decision also stems from the belief that only their local schools are capable of providing a high quality education to their children, that they need a full-time highly paid police department to keep their streets safe, etc. Home rule is very strong in this state.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:51 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Quote:
Location, same as everything else in real estate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey