Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2016, 07:20 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times

Advertisements

Potential opportunity for me to work in Morristown, but would rather not live in bergen, essex, morris, union or even somerset. Im a bit intrigued by princeton junction and am wondering how manageable the commute to Morristown would be. I compared the commute from pj vs city of Yonkers and both were about 1 hour. Assuming gwb tolls were not a concern, which commute to morristown would be more tolerable - from pj or westchester?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 08:45 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
My first thought is you're setting yourself up for 2 hours of being on the road each day, and yes we've all done that and my second thought is there are some way cool mountainy type towns up in Morris County not too far away, still thinking about the rest of your question.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:29 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Potential opportunity for me to work in Morristown, but would rather not live in bergen, essex, morris, union or even somerset. Im a bit intrigued by princeton junction and am wondering how manageable the commute to Morristown would be. I compared the commute from pj vs city of Yonkers and both were about 1 hour. Assuming gwb tolls were not a concern, which commute to morristown would be more tolerable - from pj or westchester?
Since you have eliminated a couple of counties with the most desirable communities closest to Morristown, Morris, Somerset, then you are in for a pretty long commute if all you are considering is PJ.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
my second thought is there are some way cool mountainy type towns up in Morris County not too far away
Would that town be Mountain Lakes? My spouse still works in Manhattan and she does not drive. Also, we get visitors from out of town who stay for some months and they also don't drive. Hence need to be somewhere with frequent train service, where my wife & guests can walk or shuttle to the train station and also to some amenities nearby (though the walk/shuttle to train is most important). I would much prefer Summit but the SD is relatively big, and the private schools there nearly as expensive as Manhattan.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:47 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Why would you set yourself up for this? Summit schools are generally considered good and Summit has good train connections. There's a bunch of train towns on the Morris & Essex line, nearly all of which would be a better idea than commuting from the area of Princeton Junction.

As the conductor puts it
Brick Church (East Orange)
Orange
South Orange
Maplewood
Millburn
Short Hills (Millburn)
Summit
Chatham
Madison
Convent Station (Morris Township)
Morristown
Morris Plains
Denville
Dover

Aside from the first two and the last one, ANY of these would be a better choice. I believe as far as train commutes for your wife go, Morristown itself is about the same time from Penn Station as Princeton Junction.

Denville, BTW, is right next to Mountain Lakes.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Why would you set yourself up for this? Summit schools are generally considered good and Summit has good train connections. There's a bunch of train towns on the Morris & Essex line, nearly all of which would be a better idea than commuting from the area of Princeton Junction.

As the conductor puts it
Brick Church (East Orange)
Orange
South Orange
Maplewood
Millburn
Short Hills (Millburn)
Summit
Chatham
Madison
Convent Station (Morris Township)
Morristown
Morris Plains
Denville
Dover

Aside from the first two and the last one, ANY of these would be a better choice. I believe as far as train commutes for your wife go, Morristown itself is about the same time from Penn Station as Princeton Junction.

Denville, BTW, is right next to Mountain Lakes.
When I spoke to people living in the PJ and west windsor area, they seem to be genuinely happy with the way their municipality has delivered services like pavement, garbage collection, snow cleanup etc. This is apart from the schools. Is the same the case in the neighborhoods you listed?

Old 03-21-2016, 05:45 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,422,252 times
Princeton Junction (or West Windsor) is a wonderful place to live with stellar schools and a direct train line to Manhattan. It honestly doesn't lend itself to life without a car, or to commuting to Morristown.

If Morristown was not in the equation, it would be a good option but I really don't think you would be happy doing that drive on a daily basis.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:48 AM

324 posts, read 575,441 times
I think you need to forget about the ideas of Princeton Junction or Westchester County. Both commutes would be terrible, and the benefits to your wife and extended family would not be great either. Considering the fact that you'd probably be traveling during rush hour, you should expect a commute of longer than 1 hour each way (especially PJ to Morristown).

As others have pointed out, there are countless options that are much more desirable to both you and your family. There are many great public schools in North Jersey (even small ones), so unless there is some other reason you insist on private school, I would advise against it.

Without providing more information (such as by filling out the information in the Sticky: Questions For Future and Potential Residents), it'll be hard to narrow down your options.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:51 AM

Yes thank you mayvenne and js1. If this is the case then I could probably get comfy with glen ridge or maybe Maplewood as they closely fit what I'm looking for, taxes notwithstanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey