Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2016, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,395 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone- my boyfriend and I (25 year olds) are moving to North Jersey from Philadelphia. I will be working between Hackettstown (~2-3 days/week) and Morristown/Madison the other days and he has a position in New York City. We are trying to decide on a reasonable town to live on where he would not have a terrible commute and I would be able to drive to all of my job locations in less than an hour including traffic.

We really like Morristown because there is a lot to do for 20 somethings but the train commute would be a lot longer for him Monday-Friday. What are your suggestions on other towns to look at? Madison seemed a little sleepy to us but is Summit more exciting? Would Montclair be a doable commute for both of us?

We are willing to pay up to $2200/month for a nice apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 01:05 PM

882 posts, read 1,671,884 times
If you're looking for a fun time for 20-somethings, Morristown is going to be your best bet. Madison gets you marginally closer to Manhattan, but you lose most of the fun crowd of Morristown, though you can always take a ride into Morristown since it's only one town over. Montclair has more going on for a younger crowd than Madison, but not as much as Morristown. You might gain a little bit on the train commute to Manhattan, though the Montclair line runs infrequently on weekends, if you plan on taking the train into the city for fun. Montclair will also be a much less convenient trip to Hackettstown. Morristown is really your best bet.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:29 PM

324 posts, read 575,732 times
I think Morristown is your best option followed by Montclair. The train ride would be a bit shorter for him from Montclair, but your drive would be much farther. You probably wouldn't be able to do Hackettstown in under an hour from there on most days. Also, in my opinion, the nightlife is better in Morristown than Montclair for 20 somethings.

I'm not really seeing the point to living in Madison over Morristown. He'd be two stops closer (like 5 minutes shorter). At least with Summit, he'd be another two stops closer and would have more frequent train options. There's not as much nightlife in those towns, and any time he'd be saving would cost you more than that in driving.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:22 PM

862 posts, read 977,536 times
If I was 20 years younger and single I would move to Morristown, its a great town for young people, just if you do Morristown, stick to the center of town or walking distance to center of town, some parts of town are kinda ghetto, also there is alot of homeless in Morristown but they generally do not beg/ask for change like lets say jersey city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey