Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 11:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,605 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am a woman and got a position in the US, so I am moving to the US this fall by myself.
I have two location options, one in Central NJ (Kenilworth) and the other one in Southeaster PA (Upper Gwynedd).

For the NJ option, I get to choose to live either in Kenilworth or in lower manhattan since I can commute from penn station by train to Kenilworth.

So, among Kenilworth, Upper Gwyneed, and Lower manhattan,
where would you choose to live and why?

My budget is same for the 3 options and I really hope to get many of your feedbacks on safety, diversity, restaurants, and quality of living.
Thanks for your great help.

Best

Last edited by waawaa78; 04-02-2016 at 11:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 11:23 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Upper Gwynedd is a fairly typical upper middle class suburban area. Lower Manhattan is, well, Manhattan. Two completely different lifestyles. I don't know much about Kenilworth itself but that whole area is a much denser (than Upper Gwynedd) suburban area.

Your budget will go further in Pennsylvania.

I wouldn't really recommend the commute from Lower Manhattan to Kenilworth.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:47 AM

968 posts, read 1,141,796 times
What is the pay like?

Old 04-02-2016, 12:10 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
What is the pay like?
I'm thinking it's good if the OP blithely says she can afford Lower Manhattan.

Old 04-02-2016, 12:48 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times
Manhattan makes no sense for any commute, its crowded, expensive and you'd spend hours getting anywhere.
I'm visiting relatives in Kenilworth right now actually, a decent middle upper middle type town.
I would go for Kenilworth or the Pennsy option as they are most livable.

Manhattan is the kind of place you might visit once or twice a year for theater or something, although there are lots of county and other theatres everywhere else too.

Old 04-02-2016, 01:46 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,316,455 times
What are you looking for in a place to live?

Do you like crowded noisy places, crowds and bustling cities like NYC? Are you okay with trying to maneuver your way through crowds and tourists to make it to the train or bus on time? They say the city never sleeps and it's true. At any given time you can find a restaurant or shop open, or see people walking around.
Some of 'em you might not care to run into in a dark alley.... but there's always something to do in Manhattan day or night.

or does a slower, quieter lifestyle appeal to you like in Pa?

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-04-2016 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: added"C" to NY.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:38 PM

3 posts, read 4,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waawaa78 View Post
Hi,

I am a woman and got a position in the US, so I am moving to the US this fall by myself.
I have two location options, one in Central NJ (Kenilworth) and the other one in Southeaster PA (Upper Gwynedd).

For the NJ option, I get to choose to live either in Kenilworth or in lower manhattan since I can commute from penn station by train to Kenilworth.

So, among Kenilworth, Upper Gwyneed, and Lower manhattan,
where would you choose to live and why?

My budget is same for the 3 options and I really hope to get many of your feedbacks on safety, diversity, restaurants, and quality of living.
Thanks for your great help.

Best
As someone who loves the city I won't be as negative towards it as the other posters.

The issue is NJ transit is damn expensive and you'll be on the hook for NY state taxes and NYC city tax. That's easily an additional 4% of your salary + NJ Transit monthly + Metro Card + higher living costs.

Youd save more just taking the train into NYC when you want to.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:55 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,382 times
It's sounds like you're coming from another country. Mass transit in the US is not like Europe. The USA unless you're actually live in a city an automobile is almost mandatory. If you live in Kenilworth your commute time will be the least, and depending on where you work and live you may be able to do it without an automobile. If you don't normally drive you have to figure the expense of an automobile and the time spent commuting which will go up in inclement weather and holiday weekends.
If you lived in Manhattan you'd have a "reverse commute" as most people go into Manhattan to work. Although there would be the time involved in the commute and connections, etc. Although a car wouldn't be necessary and you'd save that expense
Pennsylvania would be a commute and a lot of people go from PA to NJ, so there you have the time involved and the expense of car, insurance, etc.
Unless you really like the city vibes, I'd recommend Kenilworth and visiting the city, and saving your time and money by not commuting.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:26 AM

377 posts, read 474,726 times
NYC to Kenilworth is not really a feasible commute. There isn't a train in Kenilworth (not sure who told you that), so you'd either have to have transportation from Union/Roselle Park/Cranford train stations or take a bus from Port Authority to the Kenilworth area.

I don't know much about Upper Gwynedd specifically, but if you're making the same salary regardless of location that seems like the best option to me. Your money will go further in PA and if you really want to live in a city then Philly is a lot more reasonable than Manhattan.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:31 PM

255 posts, read 455,806 times
Unless the OP is staying with family/friends, why must it be Kenilworth. Nothing wrong with it, but there are plenty of other options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey