Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 05:21 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,476 times

Advertisements

I have noticed lately that men are passengers and women are drivers for many couples. This seems to be a complete reversal of roles. I am curious as to why males no longer feel the need to drive? Personally I can't stand the way my wife drives and when we go out I am the driver. Just curious about this phenomenon. Who does the driving in tour household? Your husband or your wife. Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 05:56 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
I have noticed lately that men are passengers and women are drivers for many couples. This seems to be a complete reversal of roles. I am curious as to why males no longer feel the need to drive? Personally I can't stand the way my wife drives and when we go out I am the driver. Just curious about this phenomenon. Who does the driving in tour household? Your husband or your wife. Why?
I think this mostly occurs with older couples. I think when it comes to bad drivers it's probably a 50-50 split between men and women.

Women seem to be more cautious and will drive too slow in the fast lane where men will drive too fast and reckless, especially younger men.

I do all the highway driving because my wife is afraid of all the yahoos on the highways so she "lets" me deal with them. She does just fine driving on the back roads.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:04 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,059,001 times
My husband will usually drive. I have a bad sense of direction and tend to get anxiety, especially in unfamiliar areas. He used to drive for a living so it's no big deal to him (although I'm a better driver )

Old 05-16-2016, 06:23 AM

324 posts, read 575,441 times
I used to do pretty much all of the driving, thinking I was doing my wife a favor. But she said that was preventing her from learning how to get to places without GPS. Now she does more of the local driving, and I think that's been helping.

I don't really see why driving should be the man's "role". Many agree, which is why you are seeing the shift. However, I don't think it's a reversal - men still drive more than women when both are in the vehicle.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:31 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,945,387 times
I do more of the driving than my husband. He doesn't like to drive, I do. I'm more comfortable with the larger car, so when we go places and take other people, I drive the car I'm used to driving. He's a more cautious driver, I'm more assertive and have a better grasp of "road sense".

If we're in unfamiliar territory and using a GPS, I let him drive and I multi task using the GPS and telling him when to move over, how much further, where to merge etc. Driving at a fast speed and listening to the GPS is nerve wrecking for him so I help ease that uncertain territory.

He'll give up his keys in a heartbeat and let others drive. I like the control.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:49 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,217,846 times
We have only one car bc we are city commuters. If it's during the week, getting the kids to and from schools, activities and doing errands -- and we are both together -- I tend to drive because I know the local tricks and timing better. If it's the weekend and we are going farther on an adventure or outing, he drives. We have no issue switching it up though.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:43 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
In my life, men have always insisted on driving. My father, brothers, boyfriends, husband, friends and son have never liked to hand over the keys. A few of them were skilled drivers. A few of them were cautious drivers. The rest just want, wanted to control the situation.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:00 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
Where do you see that? 90% of drivers I see on the road are still men. Unless suddenly women are taking over as Uber and transit drivers.

However, I have seen more and more women in car accidents in the news most likely due to distracted driving as many women drivers I spotted are usually talking on the phone or fixing their hair. I was following a woman in traffic, she probably touched or fixed her hair ever 5 secs while driving.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:04 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,253,480 times
For us it depends on whose car we're taking.

I like driving my own car (economy sedan), but being a passenger in it feels like riding in somebody else's cheap car. Fiance has a large, comfortable SUV that is nice to be a passenger in, but I don't care much for driving it.

He also hates my driving and I can't stand the non-stop litany of negative comments during the drive. So most of the time when we go somewhere together he's driving. I think I have a better sense of direction though.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:10 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times
I have not noticed this at all. What amazes me are the number of women in the front passenger seat that ride with their feet up on the dash board. If that car gets into an accident they are pretty much guaranteed 2 broken legs if not worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey