Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 04:55 PM

7 posts, read 7,258 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what is the Governor doing about the crisis of Heroin, all over NJ.

Not a day goes by that I do not read an article in some town, from the North to the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 05:13 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine Basmati View Post
Just wondering what is the Governor doing about the crisis of Heroin, all over NJ.

Not a day goes by that I do not read an article in some town, from the North to the South.
It's a choice situation, you can't take all the dealers off the streets. It has to be public education message. All those plans to help reduce heroine death won't do a thing. The user will be back on it and hopefully the next time he doesn't drink alcohol or go on some binge session. The only way is intervention and treatment. I haven't seen anything done about that.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:27 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:

What do you want the governor to do about it?

Old 02-27-2016, 08:46 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,382 times
Quote:

The governor is too busy trying to line up his next job campaigning for Donald Trump.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:16 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:

What do you expect any politician to do about anybody who willingly decides to put a deadly substance into their body?

Write more laws?

Old 03-01-2016, 04:56 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
The governor is too busy trying to line up his next job campaigning for Donald Trump.
So heroin continues to ravage the state and country because of CC and by track of that logic, obama??????

Pray tell, explain that as cause and effect.....

Heroin has been ravaging the state and no one has the answer.

Rehab is as effective as the 'war on drugs'; spotty success at best. so what is the answer? Red light cameras?

How about part of the problem being local mayors who supress the problem to keep reputatons intact and do no harm to their political careers.

How about gangs and the violence downstream of drug sales and prosecutors pleading down felony charges involving violence and firearms to a non felony for a quick win and political ammo to cry that too many non violent offenders are in jail?

Save the 3 year mandatory Graves act for administrative firearm violations and let gang members walk. The relevance being the gang, drug and gun violence being the unholy trinity that the law parses instead of treating as symptoms of a single social pathology.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:52 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
So heroin continues to ravage the state and country because of CC and by track of that logic, obama??????

Pray tell, explain that as cause and effect.....

Heroin has been ravaging the state and no one has the answer.

Rehab is as effective as the 'war on drugs'; spotty success at best. so what is the answer? Red light cameras?

How about part of the problem being local mayors who supress the problem to keep reputatons intact and do no harm to their political careers.

How about gangs and the violence downstream of drug sales and prosecutors pleading down felony charges involving violence and firearms to a non felony for a quick win and political ammo to cry that too many non violent offenders are in jail?

Save the 3 year mandatory Graves act for administrative firearm violations and let gang members walk. The relevance being the gang, drug and gun violence being the unholy trinity that the law parses instead of treating as symptoms of a single social pathology.
There is not "cause and effect" other than the governor was/too busy running around with his own limp campaign for President and now helping campaign for "Frump". The "Frump" thing is now in hope of future employment. What that has to do with Obama, I have no idea. The OP asked what the governor was doing about the problem. I just stated that he was too "busy" to even look at the problem.

We had a President that tried the "war on drugs", putting his hat in that ring. We can see what an utter failure that's been except for the people in drug enforcement with expenditures for this failed "war" and a few confiscations.

Maybe instead of attacking the "supply chain" more time and money should be expended attacking the "demand chain". More money for education, job training, JOBS period, there might not be as much demand.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:17 AM

222 posts, read 540,852 times
The problem starts with the over prescription of pain medication. When I was a boy I had a minor surgery and basically was given aspirin for the pain. Fast forward 20 year and another minor surgery except this time I was giving something that literally made me feel like I was floating.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:20 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,980,420 times
Quote:
Just wondering what is the Governor doing about the crisis of Heroin, all over NJ. Not a day goes by that I do not read an article in some town, from the North to the South.
Your question is indicative of the the real problem. Opioids have been abused in this country since at least the middle 19th Century. If you believe that Governors, legislators, and laws are they only things that can save you from some bogeyman like opioid abuse then you're pretty much doomed and probably should have reason to worry. Those of us who are confident enough in our own ability to make good choices (ie: not to abuse drugs) have no such concerns. The so-called "Heroin Crisis" is a joke. As previously stated, various forms of opioid abuse have been prevalent in this country for years, but for most of that time, it was confined to inner cities, minorities, and people of low socio-economic status. Back then no one cared about heroin abuse or stepping over a bum dying of an overdose in the gutter in the bad old days of Times Square circa 1970 on the way to a Broadway show.

Fast forward to the mid-2000s when some suburban white kids got bored with smoking weed at Dave Matthews Band shows, stepped up to something more potent, and a few them flew a little too high and all of a sudden we've got ourselves a full blown "HEROIN CRISIS!!!" I've said it before on this board (and gotten quite a bit of flack for it), but show me a "good kid" who ended up doing heroin, and I'll show you a kid who was not the angel everyone claims he or she once was, and/or parents who had little involvement and less interest in their child's life. I'm sorry, but "good kids" don't throw their lives away getting high. Good kids have dreams, goals, aspirations, and set expectations for themselves. Even if they may not achieve those things, if they really have a good head on their shoulders, they'll pick themselves up, dust themselves off, and keep going. However, this does not happen by accident-this is a result of good parenting.

It's the same reason why throwing millions at our inner city schools gets us absolutely NOTHING in return. In reality, inner city teachers have no more ability to fix the problems of our inner city schools than the Governor and legislature to do to fix the "Heroin Crisis." How can you possibly expect teachers to teach children who have no family structure, no stable home, no support system, no income, no food, etc...? It doesn't matter whether it's valuing education or not choosing to throw one's life away on drugs. It all starts at home, and if a child does not have that foundation laid for them early on by good parents, no amount of legislation is going to guide that child down the right path in life.

Finally, "good parenting" is not stressing over whether you can handle commuting 4 hours a day round trip to send your kid to the #1 high school in the state as rated by NJ Monthly, or by seeing how many extra-curriculars you can cram in between the end of the school day and midnight in order to start padding your kid's college application while they're still in pre-school. It's little things like having dinner together as a family every night, knowing who your child is, knowing who their friends and friends' parents are, knowing what they're doing, and instilling in them the confidence that they need in order to make good decisions in life. You don't have to be rich, or live in (Insert top ten rated NJ Monthly town here) in order to do these things, you just have to want to. If more people acted in this way there would be no "Heroin Crisis" and therefore no need to go running under the Governor's skirt for protection from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
Maybe instead of attacking the "supply chain" more time and money should be expended attacking the "demand chain". More money for education, job training, JOBS period, there might not be as much demand.
That solution is fine for the victims of the old "Heroin Crisis" (inner city dwellers), but the reason that anyone even thought to bring this up is because people in the NJ suburbs are now dying from heroin overdoses. These kids have/had every avenue and option open to them, they just chose to throw it all away instead, not for lack of opportunity, but rather for lack of guidance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchesterwannabe View Post
The problem starts with the over prescription of pain medication. When I was a boy I had a minor surgery and basically was given aspirin for the pain. Fast forward 20 year and another minor surgery except this time I was giving something that literally made me feel like I was floating.
In 34 and have had major dental surgeries, surgery to correct a perforated ear drum that wouldn't heal (they sliced the back of my ear open, folded it forward, fixed the ear drum, and sewed it all back up-can't even see the scar), and my share of broken bones along the way and have been prescribed everything from Percocet and Vicodin to Codeine and Oxycodone. I took them all as directed and never had a problem. What is your point?

Last edited by Badfish740; 03-01-2016 at 07:30 AM..

Old 03-01-2016, 07:43 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post

Finally, "good parenting" is not stressing over whether you can handle commuting 4 hours a day round trip to send your kid to the #1 high school in the state as rated by NJ Monthly, or by seeing how many extra-curriculars you can cram in between the end of the school day and midnight in order to start padding your kid's college application while they're still in pre-school. It's little things like having dinner together as a family every night, knowing who your child is, knowing who their friends and friends' parents are, knowing what they're doing, and instilling in them the confidence that they need in order to make good decisions in life. You don't have to be rich, or live in (Insert top ten rated NJ Monthly town here) in order to do these things, you just have to want to. If more people acted in this way there would be no "Heroin Crisis" and therefore no need to go running under the Governor's skirt for protection from it.
Very good point, we read on this forum from folks seeking to move to a good town with a good school. It's nice to be in a highly rated school in a good suburban town yet these are towns affected by drug use. Many of these parents with good wages are often stuck at their job because the 9-5 job is dead. More and more people are working from 9-7 or even later. I got out of a job that openly expected exempt workers to put in 10 hours+ a day. The managers work even longer hours. I'm sure everyone is paid well but these companies are forcing workers to sacrifice family dinner time just for the sake of pushing more meetings and e-paper.

It doesn't matter how great your town is or how much money you got in the 529 Plans. If you as a parent failed to monitor and be a part of your kid's daily life or else they will seek others out to replace you.

No matter how busy I am with work, I am always available to my kids if they want to tell me or show me stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey