Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 07:44 AM

510 posts, read 499,985 times

Advertisements

Its hard to tell what makes one town hot vs the other, especially towns which don't have top notch school systems. My theory is marketing (realtors) who promote certain towns to younger buyers with a higher income and essentially inflate the local real-estate market. It really helps when a town has a charming look to it (think downtowns and pre-WWII homes).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 08:40 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,142,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taluffen View Post
Its hard to tell what makes one town hot vs the other, especially towns which don't have top notch school systems. My theory is marketing (realtors) who promote certain towns to younger buyers with a higher income and essentially inflate the local real-estate market. It really helps when a town has a charming look to it (think downtowns and pre-WWII homes).
This is a big reason why Maplewood is very popular.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:23 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,752,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigo View Post
But Livinsgton doesn't have a train station :/

Some of our friends / co-worker live in Livinsgton drive all the way to Harrison Path via 280 (very crowded in the morning) then park & ride.....

Livingston does have a very nice downtown and hospital -- but that doesn't explain the real estate madness during the summer...are we missing something ?
Livingston doesn't have a traditional downtown. It has a lifestyle center or so they are called.

The answer is obvious though, as others have commented. Livingston is pricier than Holmdel because of school reputation and the fact that it is considerably closer to NYC for those who commute. No longer are far flung suburbs "hot" choices because people have changed their preferences and the idea of commuting from Monmouth County to NYC no longer sounds appealing to the amount of people that it once did.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:28 AM

13 posts, read 21,412 times
I think Holmdel is one of the best deals in the state. I can't think of many other places where you can get a nice town home in the 300,000s or a decent home in the 400,000s in such a good school district and overall nice town. The snob factor definitely exists in Holmdel and many parts may feel isolated compared to places like Livingston. None the less, I have to agree that the bang for your buck is much better than other towns. This could also be due to that fact that it is a newer area with more available land.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:39 AM

42 posts, read 47,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Commuting from Monmouth County to NYC no longer sounds appealing to the amount of people that it once did.
I've been commuting with the Academy Bus from PNC Art Center - it takes only 50 ~ 55 minutes to arrive Port Authority - and is very reliable & running on time 90% of the time.

As per the older threads discussing Livinsgton's commute options, the buses from Livingston (which is the only direct commute available in Livingston) take about same time actually ... There is faster commute options available in Livingston tho - which is driving via 280 to Newark / Harrison then take Path - but neither driving on 280 east bound during rush hour nor taking the over-crowded Path seems appealing at all.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:58 AM

968 posts, read 1,140,418 times
Simple. Because it's not.

It's a way longer commute than places up north.

3 most important rules in real estate: location, location and location. Rule #4 is supply and demand. Sorry Monmouth County is not on the list. It likes to tout itself as the best of everything, but it isn't.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:26 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
Simple. Because it's not.

It's a way longer commute than places up north.

3 most important rules in real estate: location, location and location. Rule #4 is supply and demand. Sorry Monmouth County is not on the list. It likes to tout itself as the best of everything, but it isn't.
monmouth county keeps trying to tell me how wonderful it is but i just keep on saying "you cant talk, you are a county."

Old 08-10-2016, 12:33 PM

351 posts, read 482,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigo View Post
I've been commuting with the Academy Bus from PNC Art Center - it takes only 50 ~ 55 minutes to arrive Port Authority - and is very reliable & running on time 90% of the time.

As per the older threads discussing Livinsgton's commute options, the buses from Livingston (which is the only direct commute available in Livingston) take about same time actually ... There is faster commute options available in Livingston tho - which is driving via 280 to Newark / Harrison then take Path - but neither driving on 280 east bound during rush hour nor taking the over-crowded Path seems appealing at all.
To have standard commute times I'm gonna take the amount from the actual time tables.

Academy Bus PNC > PABT is 55 minutes. But how long does it take to get to PNC? Probably 10-15 minutes. so that total is 65-75 minutes.

Coach Bus Rt10 & Livingston > PABT is 50 minutes. Probably only takes 5 minutes to get there. So you save 10-15 minutes.

I almost moved to Holmdel, but I couldn't find a home I liked with sewer so I settled further south.

Old 08-10-2016, 03:14 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,457,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nx View Post
To have standard commute times I'm gonna take the amount from the actual time tables.

Academy Bus PNC > PABT is 55 minutes. But how long does it take to get to PNC? Probably 10-15 minutes. so that total is 65-75 minutes.

Coach Bus Rt10 & Livingston > PABT is 50 minutes. Probably only takes 5 minutes to get there. So you save 10-15 minutes.

I almost moved to Holmdel, but I couldn't find a home I liked with sewer so I settled further south.
same...well/septic was issue for me- ended up moving closer to water..but its a great town...

Old 08-10-2016, 03:17 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,457,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
monmouth county keeps trying to tell me how wonderful it is but i just keep on saying "you cant talk, you are a county."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey