Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2016, 11:11 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Movement conservatives, who tend to be the more educated Republicans, shifted hard against Trump in 2016. Trump lost Cobb and Gwinnett Counties in suburban Atlanta, which Romney carried easily in 2012. He also did significantly worse in Harris and Ft. Bend Counties in the Houston metro as well as some of the more educated counties in metro Dallas.
were they movement conservatives? or the most moderate republicans?

Old 12-29-2016, 11:38 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,532,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Most conservatives writers and "intellectuals" don't like Trump; the voters do
Actually the MAJORITY of the voters didn't like Trump, the way our antiquated system of electoral vote work is who "liked" Trump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanJ View Post
Yes! Considering we give them 600M a year it's hard to believe there isn't yuge opposition to them.

You mean the snobs that don't give a ....hoot....about the US losing jobs, increasing "diversity", and wages going down due to mass immigration because they live in white gated communities and write garbage articles for six figures a year.
Is that wages have gone down, or the wages for people who live in nice gated communities, (corporate CEO's etc.) have increased exponentially?

Old 12-29-2016, 11:50 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
The fine doesn't "pay for someone else coverage". The fine is for not having coverage and he obviously should have been able to afford it judging by the size of the fine. If he is young and in good health coverage should not be that expensive, especially if he got the minimum coverage. Also what if he suffered some serious injury or illness? Young people do occasionally get illnesses. As I said, I really believe in a single payer system, of course the doctors and pharmaceutical firms would lose out. Also the legislators they buy off.

We pay some of the highest prices in the world for medicines and health care. I used to go to a deli where the owner was Polish. She took off for 6 wks, went back to Poland and had Laser eye surgery. All it cost her was the plane fare. It sounds like she scammed Poland's health plan but this is kind of ridiculous. The US ranks 17th or lower in infant mortality, probably one of the reasons is poorer people don't get proper pre-natal care. The fine system was a way to try to force people to buy health insurance as the system isn't really efficient if everyone isn't insured.
I am seriously contemplating skipping out on coverage completely because the cost of heath insurance is ridiculous. For 2017, I've downgraded to a Bronze level plan just to stay under $1200/month for a family plan. If we kept our Silver or higher plan which we've had for so many years it is $2495/month for 2017. Would be even higher for a top tier plan that I'm hearing costs around $3600/month for folks who are constantly having medical issues.

Now many folks who are poor got government subsidies are only able to get silver which costs about $2500/month for a family. Which means the government is subsidizing almost 70-90% that amount.

Now, my family rarely get sick or ill. Thankfully we eat healthy and maintain an active lifestyle and we're being punished that we have good income.

I work as a consultant so I rarely ever participate in any group plans with any agencies because I change jobs often. 8 years ago before Obama, I was paying $375/month for a family plan and I used it a lot for our kids who were just toddlers and babies. It has skyrocketed so much yet our services have decreased.

I might just skip out on insurance for a year and pay when we needed to see if Trump can do something.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:55 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
[b]Actually the MAJORITY of the voters didn't like Trump, the way our antiquated system of electoral vote work is who "liked" Trump.
The majority of conservative voters did like Trump, however

Old 12-29-2016, 12:31 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Movement conservatives,.
what is that?

Old 12-29-2016, 01:10 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,631,008 times
Default we're being punished that we have good income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I am seriously contemplating skipping out on coverage completely because the cost of heath insurance is ridiculous. For 2017, I've downgraded to a Bronze level plan just to stay under $1200/month for a family plan. If we kept our Silver or higher plan which we've had for so many years it is $2495/month for 2017. Would be even higher for a top tier plan that I'm hearing costs around $3600/month for folks who are constantly having medical issues.

Now many folks who are poor got government subsidies are only able to get silver which costs about $2500/month for a family. Which means the government is subsidizing almost 70-90% that amount.

Now, my family rarely get sick or ill. Thankfully we eat healthy and maintain an active lifestyle and

I work as a consultant so I rarely ever participate in any group plans with any agencies because I change jobs often. 8 years ago before Obama, I was paying $375/month for a family plan and I used it a lot for our kids who were just toddlers and babies. It has skyrocketed so much yet our services have decreased.

I might just skip out on insurance for a year and pay when we needed to see if Trump can do something.

Wow, 30 grand for a mediocre health plan. What a disgrace. And yes unfortunately some in power want your income.

Old 12-29-2016, 01:27 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,675,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Most conservatives writers and "intellectuals" don't like Trump; the voters do

Not true, the "majority of voters" voted for Hillary.

Old 12-29-2016, 01:32 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,532,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Wow, 30 grand for a mediocre health plan. What a disgrace. And yes unfortunately some in power want your income.
Health care cost were going up long before Obama took office. This was something discussed in the beginning of Clinton's first administration. Health care and costs are a problem going back to Nixon's Presidency. Insurance companies and Pharmaceutical Companies have lobbied and donated to campaigns to get their way. Medicare CANNOT negotiate drug prices!!! This a result of lobbying and MONEY!!! You have seniors who have to choice between rent, food, or medicine.

In 1994 (Clinton's Presidency), I went to the hospital for same day surgery, I had insurance, the bill from the Hospital was $3400 for the day, BC/BS paid $1800, this was accepted as full payment. If I had been working someplace with no insurance the collections dept of the hospital would have been after me for the entire $3400. That was my first inkling something is wrong with our health care system. The anesthesiologist was not a participant in my plan. All the plan would pay was $600, he billed me for $1300, funny the nearest anesthesiologist was in Ft Lee, and I went to a hospital in Morris County. This frequently happens to people, they go to a participating doctor, but the hospital doesn't and SURPRISE!!

Before the ACA some people (probably most) with pre-existing conditions couldn't get insurance at all. So then they have to pay for everything, or forgo treatments. Congress doesn't care, they want the lobby money, and they have super platinum health care, plus pensions, etc.

Old 12-29-2016, 01:35 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I know a relative who are going through a legal divorce just to get their family free insurance. They need the Gold level because they've got medical issues in the family. Wife smokes, children has mental issues. The husband owns 2 properties and he hates Obama because his income is being siphoned by Health insurance costs. By going with a divorce and giving his wife custody, she works as a hair dresser who marks very little and can easily get government subsidies.

I thought about this trick but my wife would never let me do this legally. ;-P

My point is that, Obamacare will fail because I can game the system if I wanted to and pretty sure many folks are gaming it and I am SERIOUS when I say I am thinking about either dropping coverage or gaming it if I need healthcare.

Old 12-29-2016, 01:54 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Not true, the "majority of voters" voted for Hillary.
let me ask you a question. if hillary would have lost the popular vote but won the electoral vote, would you take an issue with the victory?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey