Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2016, 03:41 PM

47 posts, read 90,191 times

Advertisements

We're looking to move from our town in Bergen Co. We want a better school system for our 3rd grader - need to move before 6th Gr. Towns are changing rapidly. Oradell we hear is going to have a new tax assessment done which will likely raise their taxes. We can't afford much more than we're at now but looks like we'll be doing a lateral move, just to get into a better school. I do go into NYC a couple days a week (usually drive - but am interested in train!) Husband works west near Wayne. I'd love a "community" where we'd fit in, upper middle class, educated, middle aged with one child. Would love to live in a "neighborhood" that has kids where the families get together occasionally and the kids play together. (I know I'm dreaming! Ha! - but I've heard of this lifestyle and I'm trying to find it for my family! I THINK Glen Rock may offer this (homes closer together?), or Oradell? We are interested in Wyckoff as it seems you get more for your $ there, but i'm afraid the homes are TOO spread out we'd feel isolated? Someone mentioned Waldwick? My child need extra help with school so I need a school that offers those resources (they probably all do?... we have a great elem. school now, but don't like the middle or high school). Any thoughts? or NEW towns? I'm even willing to go up to Alendale/Ramsey ... maybe.. they're far.. but the "town" of Ramsey is very cute! Is Ho Ho Kus too expensive?
My budget for house is up to $850K. 3/4 BR. Taxes no more than $17. (if we can do less that's ideal!) thanks Bergen County!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 04:40 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times
Tax assessment in Oradell does not neccesrily mean taxes will go up on the house you buy.

You probably won't find any houses for sale within 200k of 850 in Waldwick. Very middle class town in comparison with the others listed.

All are considered very nice. Where do you live now?

Old 10-07-2016, 08:52 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,773 times
There is nothing middle class about the budget of $850K, even in Bergen county. I hope you realize that in general, with some exceptions, the higher the property tax is the better the schools will be...

Last edited by DefiantNJ; 10-07-2016 at 10:11 AM..

Old 10-07-2016, 09:26 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Not sure why "town" is in quotes re Ramsey.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:21 AM

1,387 posts, read 4,017,548 times
I would cross Waldwick off your list. It doesn't really fit what you're looking for, as it's solidly middle class. With your budget, you'd probably end up owning one of the most expensive homes in town. As for Ho Ho Kus, you'd probably be near the starting point for homes.

The schools are excellent in the rest of the towns you've mentioned, although I'm not too familiar on how they rank when it comes to students with special needs.

In terms of a "neighborhoodish" feeling, I think Glen Rock, Ridgewood and parts of Ramsey fit that description best. Oradell is a lot more densely populated. While nice, IMO the other towns mentioned are nicer. Although Wyckoff has a downtown, its not walkable at all. You need a car. It feels more "rural". Good luck!

Old 10-07-2016, 11:23 AM

789 posts, read 703,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
There is nothing middle class about the budget of $850K, even in Bergen county. I hope you realize that in general, with some exceptions, the higher the property tax is the better the schools will be...
This just simply isn't so--not on property tax rate. Its all over the map.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:44 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
This just simply isn't so--not on property tax rate. Its all over the map.
I expect that this is true with some limited exceptions. Do you have examples to the contrary?

Old 10-07-2016, 02:49 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,640,995 times
Quote:
I expect that this is true with some limited exceptions. Do you have examples to the contrary?

Almost every town in Hudson County doesn't follow the "higher taxes = better schools" formula.

Also, look at Orange and East Orange.

Old 10-07-2016, 04:01 PM

380 posts, read 607,958 times
Quote:
This is flat out false, a higher tax rate doesn't mean better schools. If anything, the reverse is actually true is Bergen County; eg Little Ferry and Lodi have high rates and awful schools, while Saddle River and Alpine have low tax rates and amazing schools.

Old 10-07-2016, 04:05 PM

380 posts, read 607,958 times
Hohokus and Allendale are probably ideal for you. Waldwick and Oradell are actually well below your budget and might be less upscale than what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey