Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 06:35 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times

Advertisements

Just one point: From Union City, you have the choice of the #190 bus, or some jitney buses that parallel it going up to Paterson. They're frequent enough that reliability shouldn't be much of an issue (some of them may get stuck in traffic heading into Manhattan, but something is going to eventually come back out, and reverse-peak traffic heading up to Paterson shouldn't be bad).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 09:51 AM

728 posts, read 1,965,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I'm probably going to make a visit and try out the commute from Hoboken before signing any leases there. Luckily renting is only for a year, so if the commute gets to be a hassle, I'll try out Montclair or Clifton after that one year.
Montclair is your best suburb that meets what you want but it still is not what you want. Im 27 and married and I wish Montclair was a great party scene since I now live right by it but it's more of an older crowd dinner scene (still great). I know a lot of people who live in Hoboken who commute away from the city. All the towns people mentioned (Clifton, Hackensack, etc) will not meet what you want. There more city like areas are not somewhere you want to live in and other parts are suburban identical to their suburban neighbors. The only other place I can think of besides hoboken or JC is Harrison. You will get more for your money and it's on the path line. Downside it's a bit of a pain going to Hoboken as you got to change trains twice and they run more infrequently overnight. If your 25 and single Hoboken is where you want to be.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, if he really wants Hoboken and its party scene, he will have to find a roommate or two on that budget. Might be worth it because it's just for a couple of years. At 25, he's getting a bit long in the tooth for the stay-out-late-and-puke-on-the-sidewalk life that is Hoboken and might be done with that before too long.
Lol I wouldn't say 25 is a bit long in the tooth for partying. Though I have noticed recently that many places I used to frequent (The Shannon, black bear, etc) are overun with fresh 21 crowd or close to it. At almost 28 I go out much less than I used to and when i do go out in Hoboken it's more towards uptown now and perhaps even NYC a little more.

Old 12-26-2016, 10:03 AM

I also forgot to add that the parking situation is going to be an issue. A garage is about 200 a month, if you can parrell park and don't have a super nice car you are better off doing on street parking and getting a permit.

Old 12-26-2016, 12:30 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykstevenyg View Post
Lol I wouldn't say 25 is a bit long in the tooth for partying. Though I have noticed recently that many places I used to frequent (The Shannon, black bear, etc) are overun with fresh 21 crowd or close to it. At almost 28 I go out much less than I used to and when i do go out in Hoboken it's more towards uptown now and perhaps even NYC a little more.
See?

Old 12-26-2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
See?
Lol at 25 I liked those places. In all seriousness Hoboken is perfect for your 20s even your late 20s. Uptown has become hot and isn't a more mature scene.

Old 12-27-2016, 01:08 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykstevenyg View Post
I also forgot to add that the parking situation is going to be an issue. A garage is about 200 a month, if you can parrell park and don't have a super nice car you are better off doing on street parking and getting a permit.
I'm assuming parking sucks, but is it impossible? I have a smaller car and I'm good at parallel parking lol. But I saw a few places for rent on CL that were rooms for rent in 2-4 bedroom places that included parking in my price range or just a bit over.

Old 12-27-2016, 03:38 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,639,406 times
Quote:
I'm assuming parking sucks, but is it impossible? I have a smaller car and I'm good at parallel parking lol. But I saw a few places for rent on CL that were rooms for rent in 2-4 bedroom places that included parking in my price range or just a bit over.

The worst part about street parking in a condensed area is street sweeping. It's not so bad when you actually drive your car to work. But if you need to leave it parked during the week, being limited to parking your car on one side of the street in an area that's already tough to find a spot in is near impossible.

Old 12-27-2016, 03:45 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
It's not so bad when you actually drive your car to work. But if you need to leave it parked during the week, being limited to parking your car on one side of the street in an area that's already tough to find a spot in is near impossible.
That pretty-well defines one of the challenges of living in Hoboken if you own a car and don't want to pay the outrageous fees for parking garages.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:
1200 for a room and parking is a good deal. What's great about Hoboken is that basically everywhere is walkable. What type of parking is it and is it for a room in a nice apt building with a parking garage access or is it a walk-up? Personally I can't parrell park well. If your good at it and your car is small it will work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey