Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 07:31 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,135 times

Advertisements

I think it's very amusing how people get so angry when people say they don't like public schools. What's the difference? I don't like public schools for personal reasons as they are today, and I would not send my children there. I pay for private school and a massive amount in property taxes to the school district. Sounds like a good deal to me...they get my money and don't have to do anything for it.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:19 AM

7 posts, read 10,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
is the OP even still here, don't see many helpful posts anymore, just some rhetoric back and forth on both sides.
I am following and I consider the posts informative on many levels.

I cannot say that this is the same case in NJ, but I do want to provide one more point of explanation that some may or may not be aware of. This is the case for the current district we live and I'm using that info as rationale.

As a point of reference, our county is 4th in the state of 88 counties for quality schooling (graduation rates, testing scores, etc).
  • The average HS graduating class in our area is 700-800 students. While I don't think the graduation rates tell the whole story in a public school, understand they aren't 99-100%. Moreover, the "best" public school in our area has received just over $3m in total scholarships for last years graduating class. That's less than $4k per child (granted that is on average).
  • Our current Catholic HS has a graduating class of 80, 99% graduation rate and received over $4.8m in scholarships for last years graduating class. More of those are also multiyear commitments vs a single year (renewable) scholarship. They also tout that the majority of graduates were accepted to multiple schools and most went with their first choice.

I understand that this isn't a unique instance of this happening and is routinely borne out in other school systems also. So I'd suggest that the "paying twice for school" isn't an argument I believe in. Additionally the benefits are not an education focused on making sure you pass the standardized test (learning WHAT to think) but an education focused on a more classical methodology (learning how to think).

It has not been my intention to have a philosophical discussion on why we make the personal choices we make, but simply to better understand the options available to us in the area based on individual, local, perspectives vs just the "marketing" material available online for each township/parish/etc.

Old 02-09-2017, 05:33 AM

127 posts, read 160,660 times
Mudmutt -

One last suggestion - I would use the forum search function - upped right hand on main page to search for individual schools and parishes already mentioned for some additional insight since these topics have been covered in the past. I would actually only focus on comments for the last two years since other would be dated.

Good Luck.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:26 AM

255 posts, read 455,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Public schools don't open eyes, they shut them. Tight. Dissent and debate are silenced, unless you are promoting the party line. Smart kids are suppressed. Creative and energetic kids are diagnosed with ADD and drugged.
Yes, because Catholic schools are known for their openness, tolerance and acceptance of all points of view.

You're beyond lost, Mr. Paolella.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:04 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJpoliticiansarecrooks View Post
Yes, because Catholic schools are known for their openness, tolerance and acceptance of all points of view.

You're beyond lost, Mr. Paolella.

I'll take a Catholic school over any public school hands down. You can argue about how or whether to worship God, but there is no argument in favor of worshipping the State. Public schools are owned by the State, operated by the State, and promote and indoctrinate agendas that favor the State and are affectionate toward the concept of tyranny and State control. And today, they delve into incorrect moralities and ethics, in opposition to parental wishes, and usurp parental roles. And all of that controlled by bureaucrats and social engineers and union thugs. And as if all that is not enough, we get overcharged and raped as the bureaucrats and tenurees feather their beds and pensions and health care plans at our expense.

Say what you want about parochial schools. But responsible parents actually PAY for them. So you start out with a morally correct structure right out of the gate.

Old 02-10-2017, 03:34 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
I'll take a Catholic school over any public school hands down. You can argue about how or whether to worship God, but there is no argument in favor of worshipping the State. Public schools are owned by the State, operated by the State, and promote and indoctrinate agendas that favor the State and are affectionate toward the concept of tyranny and State control.

You argument can not hold up against schools like Millburn or Chatham(for example,there are others).They have been so good for so long that your claim can not be up held in school systems such as theirs.Is this true of all public schools ,no, but there are some that simple put are pretty damn good.

Old 02-13-2017, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 518 times
Colts Neck, Holmdel and Lincroft are all great towns and very close to Matawan in Monmouth County. All three have great Roman Catholic parishes and Catholic schools nearby.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:56 AM

255 posts, read 455,905 times
Quote:
indoctrinate agendas that favor the State and are affectionate toward the concept of tyranny and State control. And today, they delve into incorrect moralities and ethics, in opposition to parental wishes, and usurp parental roles.

Say what you want about parochial schools. But responsible parents actually PAY for them. So you start out with a morally correct structure right out of the gate.
Unless you're teaching in a public school or have kids in one, how would you even presume to know this? Get yourself some help.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:48 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJpoliticiansarecrooks View Post
Unless you're teaching in a public school or have kids in one, how would you even presume to know this? Get yourself some help.
This is not true. It is possible to analyze, evaluate, and critique something quite accurately without being directly victimized by its effects. For example, we can all evaluate the prison system and what it accomplishes and how it should operate, and few of us have been in prison. In fact, lack of immersion in a system is often an asset in being able to see something for what it is. Advocates and apologists often can't see the forest for the trees.

I would like to see a private school system where parents can pick the schools according to performance. Schools would be forced to compete. And excel. Our future would then be brighter, and so would our kids. That's what competition does. Public schools don't have competition. They are a monopoly.

And while we cannot abolish them willy-nilly as it would be too disrupting, we could start a gentle trend that leads to their ultimate marginalization by slowly beginning to favor private school options for parents.

Old 02-15-2017, 05:01 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
This is not true. It is possible to analyze, evaluate, and critique something quite accurately without being directly victimized by its effects. For example, we can all evaluate the prison system and what it accomplishes and how it should operate, and few of us have been in prison. In fact, lack of immersion in a system is often an asset in being able to see something for what it is. Advocates and apologists often can't see the forest for the trees.

I would like to see a private school system where parents can pick the schools according to performance. Schools would be forced to compete. And excel. Our future would then be brighter, and so would our kids. That's what competition does. Public schools don't have competition. They are a monopoly.

And while we cannot abolish them willy-nilly as it would be too disrupting, we could start a gentle trend that leads to their ultimate marginalization by slowly beginning to favor private school options for parents.

What about school systems like Millburn,Chatham,Rumson and others that are exceptional?Your logic makes no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey