Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 10:23 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Are you guys really suggesting that someone with a $5000 house budget who is home schooling can't find a place to live within an hour to NYC?
It sounds like he'll be working all over the city (all boroughs or at least into Queens). That makes the "within an hour" requirement harder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 11:04 AM

4,029 posts, read 3,640,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
The desire for a bigger yard and "some type of transition neighborhood that gives us a little slice of home would be great" had me thinking that he needed to be a bit further from NYC to get that sort of home. But if you know better options that are closer, I'd be glad to learn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
No, but the big house, big yard and varied extracurricular sports events make it a tougher task closer in, that's all.
I don't know enough about rental prices for that size house to really give a suggestion that has any merit. And perhaps I'm ignorant here, but doesn't nearly every town have youth sports, at least for the major sports (baseball, football, basketball, and soccer)? OP just stated he needed a yard, not necessarily a big yard. You're not going to move to NJ and get Alabama, so I think a house with a yard in a neighborhood where houses aren't all cramped together should fit the bill. I think Rutherford was a great suggestion. I would think a lot of other Bergen County towns with train stations make sense as well.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:18 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
Quote:
I don't know enough about rental prices for that size house to really give a suggestion that has any merit. And perhaps I'm ignorant here, but doesn't nearly every town have youth sports, at least for the major sports (baseball, football, basketball, and soccer)? OP just stated he needed a yard, not necessarily a big yard. You're not going to move to NJ and get Alabama, so I think a house with a yard in a neighborhood where houses aren't all cramped together should fit the bill. I think Rutherford was a great suggestion. I would think a lot of other Bergen County towns with train stations make sense as well.
I like Rutherford a lot. For a family of 6 plus the OP's parents, I was assuming that 5-6 bedrooms would be needed. I don't think that is typical at all for Rutherford: Homes.com

Old 04-04-2017, 11:27 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,869,313 times
Quote:
Sure, so let's just say Anderson St in Hackensack a few stops from Rutherford. To go from there to my work on 14th Street takes... an hour. So once you leave your house and park your car in the lot and go from door to door a 75 minute estimate is pretty much spot on. And it's not like Hackensack is crazy far away, none of these towns are far by distance, but traffic and train lines just add time.

Again, a 75 minute commute door to door is what he should expect for the towns it sounds like they'd be looking at. Rutherford is, frankly, an outlier in a lot of ways and housing stock is smaller, so finding a place (or two) large enough is going to make it difficult which is why most people are suggesting areas further out. It's the big family that is going to be an issue with a rental like this, there just aren't a lot.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:13 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,640,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Sure, so let's just say Anderson St in Hackensack a few stops from Rutherford. To go from there to my work on 14th Street takes... an hour. So once you leave your house and park your car in the lot and go from door to door a 75 minute estimate is pretty much spot on. And it's not like Hackensack is crazy far away, none of these towns are far by distance, but traffic and train lines just add time.

Again, a 75 minute commute door to door is what he should expect for the towns it sounds like they'd be looking at. Rutherford is, frankly, an outlier in a lot of ways and housing stock is smaller, so finding a place (or two) large enough is going to make it difficult which is why most people are suggesting areas further out. It's the big family that is going to be an issue with a rental like this, there just aren't a lot.
I see wheat you're saying now regarding commute. When people say "an hour commute to NYC" I (perhaps wrongfully) assume they mean the amount of time from the moment they hop on the bus/train to the moment they arrive at Penn/Port. People are always going to live in varying distances from train stations and work in different parts of Manhattan, so this IMO should be the real measure.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:17 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,869,313 times
Quote:
I see wheat you're saying now regarding commute. When people say "an hour commute to NYC" I (perhaps wrongfully) assume they mean the amount of time from the moment they hop on the bus/train to the moment they arrive at Penn/Port. People are always going to live in varying distances from train stations and work in different parts of Manhattan, so this IMO should be the real measure.
Everyone always says their commute is "about an hour" and then they talk about the fifteen minutes here and there. So it's not really an hour, it's 75 minutes.

I don't want the OP to get sucked in by anyone saying "about an hour" and should expect it to be 75 minutes door to door for the kind of houses they are discussing.
//www.city-data.com/forum/47722446-post2.html

Old 04-04-2017, 03:19 PM

10,483 posts, read 7,005,412 times
The farther you get away from nyc the nicer, bigger and cheaper the area becomes. Some people mentioned Rutherford and Hackensack, while they aren't bad areas I'd say you can find a nicer town to live in. Most towns have a bus or train station to get into the city, but I'd maybe look into Basking Ridge, Warren County, Chatham. The reality of working in the city is most people have a 1.5 -2 hour commute door to door anywhere in nj.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:23 PM

857 posts, read 835,091 times
Ask Jesus.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:49 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal1 View Post
Ask Jesus.
The guy in charge of the landscaping crew at my condo?

But seriously, I'm sure the OP already has...and the answer was "Go to City-Data!"

Old 04-05-2017, 10:01 AM

857 posts, read 835,091 times
Ask and ye shall receive.

Victor De Jesus, Agent - PRINCETON, NJ Real Estate Agent - realtor.com®
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey