Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 06:05 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,631,008 times

Advertisements

Just read yesterdays Star Ledgar and quess what now our tax crazy governor wants to put tolls on Rt. 80 and 78. What do you think. Well let me start I drive 2 toll roads daily and he wants to raise the tolls on them 800 percent, now this is out and out insane. So if he wants to share the cost with the rest of the commuters and not punish people from particular regions I say go for it. Now before you tar and feather me lets hear your different opinions. I say cut spending and no raise at all and he gave us a very small proposal but nothing significant. So do you think it's fair that we should pass it around so to say or should only a couple of regions be forced to pay for the governments waistful ways over the past couple of decades and the whole state benefited. I just put the bulletproof vest on so go ahead make my day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 06:22 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,612,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Just read yesterdays Star Ledgar and quess what now our tax crazy governor wants to put tolls on Rt. 80 and 78. What do you think. Well let me start I drive 2 toll roads daily and he wants to raise the tolls on them 800 percent, now this is out and out insane. So if he wants to share the cost with the rest of the commuters and not punish people from particular regions I say go for it. Now before you tar and feather me lets hear your different opinions. I say cut spending and no raise at all and he gave us a very small proposal but nothing significant. So do you think it's fair that we should pass it around so to say or should only a couple of regions be forced to pay for the governments waistful ways over the past couple of decades and the whole state benefited. I just put the bulletproof vest on so go ahead make my day.
That would be a nightmare! Traffic on those highways is bad enough..now you want to slow it down even more! Why not just impose a highway tax to our income every year? And if you're going to do that, I want to see improvements - more lanes, more public transportation options. I'm a diehard Democrat but this guy just continuously wants to kick us while we're down! We need to find ways to try and get more money back in the pockets of our citizens...get the economy moving again - not take it out!

Old 03-06-2008, 06:28 AM

828 posts, read 3,138,990 times
Well, there will always be one...

I am for it.
If it keeps the fuel tax down, then go for it.
Do I drive those roads?
Not at all.
I drive the parkway, and even if they were to raise the tolls there I would be ok with it.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:28 AM

438 posts, read 965,518 times
Corzine was reacting to a plan presented to him by a trade commission
nothing is set in stone
You want to go after someone over this, look for this clown: We should just go ahead and do it,'' said Lesniak (D-Union), the likely Senate sponsor of Gov. Jon Corzine's plan to restructure state finances. "It would save us future costs."
Lesniak also said an increase in the state's gasoline tax could reduce the total to be raised through tolls.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:43 AM

230 posts, read 666,938 times
Default Stop The Spending!

What a nightmare this would be for me and for all of the residents around my area of Somerset County. I frequent both these roads...and Rt. 78 almost daily. People here need to use this road to go to most places to shop: Target, Walmart, Home Depot, etc...because we are so West..this is the road we take to then go towards Rt22..it takes us down the mountain. In order to avoid this road you would have to drive the local roads of either Bedminster or Warren. I drive Rt287 daily to work in Mahwah...and all the traffic is always Northbound geting off the Rt. 80 exit. Like Rt. 80 isn't bad enough. I believe both Rt.287 & Rt. 80 are 2 of the most dangerous roads in the state. So many deadly accidents...alot involving trucks. The traffic on these roads are already terrible...I just do not see how this will solve anything. Stop the spending! I really do not see how NJ residents will be able to live here anymore. I have had to cut back on my lifestyle already as many of us have had to...it's time now for our government to do the same!!!

Old 03-06-2008, 06:45 AM

438 posts, read 965,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaskingRidgeMom View Post
What a nightmare this would be for me and for all of the residents around my area of Somerset County. I frequent both these roads...and Rt. 78 almost daily. People here need to use this road to go to most places to shop: Target, Walmart, Home Depot, etc...because we are so West..this is the road we take to then go towards Rt22..it takes us down the mountain. In order to avoid this road you would have to drive the local roads of either Bedminster or Warren. I drive Rt287 daily to work in Mahwah...and all the traffic is always Northbound geting off the Rt. 80 exit. Like Rt. 80 isn't bad enough. I believe both Rt.287 & Rt. 80 are 2 of the most dangerous roads in the state. So many deadly accidents...alot involving trucks. The traffic on these roads are already terrible...I just do not see how this will solve anything. Stop the spending! I really do not see how NJ residents will be able to live here anymore. I have had to cut back on my lifestyle already as many of us have had to...it's time now for our government to do the same!!!
i think the plan presented would only put toll booths at the entrances by the state borders. The middle of the highway (like the parkway) or ANY exits would be a disaster for traffic.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:50 AM

230 posts, read 666,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfulou View Post
i think the plan presented would only put toll booths at the entrances by the state borders. The middle of the highway (like the parkway) or ANY exits would be a disaster for traffic.
Wow...some relief..thanks...my Sunday paper is still sitting in the kitchen unread.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:03 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,739,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
That would be a nightmare! Traffic on those highways is bad enough..now you want to slow it down even more! Why not just impose a highway tax to our income every year? And if you're going to do that, I want to see improvements - more lanes, more public transportation options. I'm a diehard Democrat but this guy just continuously wants to kick us while we're down! We need to find ways to try and get more money back in the pockets of our citizens...get the economy moving again - not take it out!
Tolls on 78 & 80 are going to create a nightmare on secondary roads..Rt 46, Rt10, Rt22

Old 03-06-2008, 07:34 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,672,910 times
Hunterdon County is being punished, imho. Since my town has less than 5000 people, we just found out we'll be getting 58% LESS aid this year. The idea is to try and get small towns to merge. Well, since only 3 towns in Hunterdon County have more than 10,000 people, whats the great idea there Corzine? One giant "township" for the entire county?

Moron.

These ideas of his are an absolute waste. They do nothing to solve the problem, just finding more ways to get money out of taxpayers. Its completely assinine.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:39 AM

531 posts, read 2,150,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Well, since only 3 towns in Hunterdon County have more than 10,000 people, whats the great idea there Corzine? One giant "township" for the entire county?
Why not? How many municipal apparatuses do we need for that few people, anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey