Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 12:11 PM

10 posts, read 20,813 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Moving in with my Gf at end of summer. She works in the 20's and 2nd ave NYC. I work in Bergen County, NJ. She will commute public transport I will drive. Looking for rentals in the 2-3k range for either decent sized 1bedroom or ideally 2bedroom if feasible.

Would like, close to path or light rail, safe part of town can walk to bar, restaurant, grocery store etc., amenities of building would be nice, parking options for my car, and not to difficult to get out of town for me. Thinking JC, Hoboken may also be an option?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 12:30 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisguy85 View Post
Hi,

Moving in with my Gf at end of summer. She works in the 20's and 2nd ave NYC. I work in Bergen County, NJ. She will commute public transport I will drive. Looking for rentals in the 2-3k range for either decent sized 1bedroom or ideally 2bedroom if feasible.

Would like, close to path or light rail, safe part of town can walk to bar, restaurant, grocery store etc., amenities of building would be nice, parking options for my car, and not to difficult to get out of town for me. Thinking JC, Hoboken may also be an option?

thanks!
If you have the scratch I would live in one of the high rise condos near the Newport Mall. Close to the PATH, and the highway entrance and you have concrete floors so you don't have to deal with annoying neighbors.

Old 04-18-2017, 03:03 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,827 times
Quote:
Hi,

thanks!
JC is pretty big city now so let's start with what most people think of when they say JC, as in downtown JC. 2bedroom for 2-3k is pretty much impossible for this area. 1bedroom for luxury unit will run around 2600-2900. Non-luxury you can find through craigslists or brokers from 2000-2500.

Parking will not be easy. Depending on what part of downtown JC you are at, down right impossible for some areas like exchange place. First JC has been enforcing parking rules more strictly so you'll need to get parking permit if you street park or face getting tickets. Second, street parking spaces are becoming harder and harder to get because of closures for constructions and more, more people. Some places like Newport its impossible to street park because its private and its all metered. You will need a garage or paid parking space very likely. It will run $200-500 a month depending location.

At risk of sounding like an arse, I'm going to say there are three other areas aside from Downtown JC that's palatable for most folks which are Journal Square, Heights, and Port Liberte area. There are other parts of JC but most don't find it palatable or scary. Which is true in both cases for some areas.

Port Liberte, you can find something for your price no problem. But it is kinda on its own far from everything and further away for you to drive north to. You'll need to either find your own way or pay and take the Port Liberate shuttle bus to get to Path at Grove.

JSQ is a lot more affordable but got more urban grit. In return, bit more affordable than downtown and slightly more space. Traffic and commute here is a mess depending on which direction you go. To go north isn't as bad as trying to get to Newark area.

Heights is more affordable, parking is biatch and more space. From heights you'll need to find alterantive way to get to Path station. Whether its gypsy busy, bicycling, walking, etc. Heights has ton of families and in my opinion cooler former Brooklyn hipsters than ones you find in downtown JC.

All in all, if you work in Bergen county...don't live in JC because traffic in JC is bad and getting worse every month with ton of people moving in. Live in Hoboken by north or west side so you can get to highways or river road faster and have your GF take a bus or walk it to Hoboken Path.

Old 04-18-2017, 03:19 PM

857 posts, read 835,091 times
Two words "Bayonne"

Old 04-18-2017, 03:44 PM

115 posts, read 146,313 times
Quote:
Hi,

thanks!
Harrison.

18 minutes to downtown Manhattan (WTC) via Path train. Path runs 24/7/365(6).

Apartments right next to Path station.

Ironbound is a 5 - 10 minute walk. Downtown Newark is a 20 minute walk. Whole Foods is downtown Newark. I can ride a bike to Whole Foods in 8 minutes.

Newark Penn Station is 1.5 minutes away (by train)... if you wanted to get out of town, from Newark Penn you can get just about anywhere (via Amtrak).

Airport is a 10 minute drive away.

Great Parks (Military Park, Riverfront Park, Riverbank Park, Independence Park).

Lots of activities for young professionals: free yoga in the park, tai chai, cooking classes, kayaking, adult kickball leagues, ultimate frisbee leagues.

1 bedroom apts. next to Path Station run about $2100/month. I imagine 2 bedrooms are 23-2500. Some apartments to consider: Harrison Station, Vermella, Steel Works (many other new developments, I do not know the name of them all).

The Red Bulls Soccer stadium is right across the street.

To top it off. Harrison is a very safe community (only ~ 1.4 sq. miles, but nearly 15-16,000 residents).

Old 04-18-2017, 07:43 PM

565 posts, read 722,785 times
Hoboken 1 bedroom. Or Weehawken/West NY waterfront and your GF can take the ferry+ferry bus to commute.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
JC is pretty big city now so let's start with what most people think of when they say JC, as in downtown JC. 2bedroom for 2-3k is pretty much impossible for this area. 1bedroom for luxury unit will run around 2600-2900. Non-luxury you can find through craigslists or brokers from 2000-2500.

Parking will not be easy. Depending on what part of downtown JC you are at, down right impossible for some areas like exchange place. First JC has been enforcing parking rules more strictly so you'll need to get parking permit if you street park or face getting tickets. Second, street parking spaces are becoming harder and harder to get because of closures for constructions and more, more people. Some places like Newport its impossible to street park because its private and its all metered. You will need a garage or paid parking space very likely. It will run $200-500 a month depending location.

At risk of sounding like an arse, I'm going to say there are three other areas aside from Downtown JC that's palatable for most folks which are Journal Square, Heights, and Port Liberte area. There are other parts of JC but most don't find it palatable or scary. Which is true in both cases for some areas.

Port Liberte, you can find something for your price no problem. But it is kinda on its own far from everything and further away for you to drive north to. You'll need to either find your own way or pay and take the Port Liberate shuttle bus to get to Path at Grove.

JSQ is a lot more affordable but got more urban grit. In return, bit more affordable than downtown and slightly more space. Traffic and commute here is a mess depending on which direction you go. To go north isn't as bad as trying to get to Newark area.

Heights is more affordable, parking is biatch and more space. From heights you'll need to find alterantive way to get to Path station. Whether its gypsy busy, bicycling, walking, etc. Heights has ton of families and in my opinion cooler former Brooklyn hipsters than ones you find in downtown JC.

All in all, if you work in Bergen county...don't live in JC because traffic in JC is bad and getting worse every month with ton of people moving in. Live in Hoboken by north or west side so you can get to highways or river road faster and have your GF take a bus or walk it to Hoboken Path.

thanks for all the info! couple follow ups. Assuming the heights she found it possible to get to the path in a convenient way is there anything to do in that area that is walking distance? Gym, bars, restaurants etc?

Also will look at Hoboken just unsure on getting a decent place for the money

Old 04-18-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsheb View Post
Harrison.

18 minutes to downtown Manhattan (WTC) via Path train. Path runs 24/7/365(6).

Apartments right next to Path station.

Ironbound is a 5 - 10 minute walk. Downtown Newark is a 20 minute walk. Whole Foods is downtown Newark. I can ride a bike to Whole Foods in 8 minutes.

Newark Penn Station is 1.5 minutes away (by train)... if you wanted to get out of town, from Newark Penn you can get just about anywhere (via Amtrak).

Airport is a 10 minute drive away.

Great Parks (Military Park, Riverfront Park, Riverbank Park, Independence Park).

Lots of activities for young professionals: free yoga in the park, tai chai, cooking classes, kayaking, adult kickball leagues, ultimate frisbee leagues.

1 bedroom apts. next to Path Station run about $2100/month. I imagine 2 bedrooms are 23-2500. Some apartments to consider: Harrison Station, Vermella, Steel Works (many other new developments, I do not know the name of them all).

The Red Bulls Soccer stadium is right across the street.

To top it off. Harrison is a very safe community (only ~ 1.4 sq. miles, but nearly 15-16,000 residents).
I have heard mostly unkind things about Harrison in my time living in North Jersey...has it changed a lot in the last 5 yrs or just receives a bad rap? Also I think that takes me further away from my work so not sure it will work but would look into if was safe and good area?

Old 04-19-2017, 12:14 AM

115 posts, read 146,313 times
Quote:
I have heard mostly unkind things about Harrison in my time living in North Jersey...has it changed a lot in the last 5 yrs or just receives a bad rap? Also I think that takes me further away from my work so not sure it will work but would look into if was safe and good area?
Harrison has DRASTICALLY changed in the last 5 years. And, will only change more in the next 2 - 3. The path station is undergoing a huge renovation. They have broken ground for a "mall" and apartments are going up like crazy. Harrison can be crowded though--esp on game days.

If you are considering the heights, I would definitely (strongly) also consider Harrison. Not only are you closer to the Path, but 280 is a 3-minute drive from the path station.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:15 AM

565 posts, read 722,785 times
For Hoboken Apartments in your price range, check out:

-The Rivington. Looks like there is a 2 bedroom there now for $2900. There is a parking garage, which would be extra, BUT that's also one of the few neighborhoods left in Hoboken where it's not hard to find street parking. We park our second car back there all the time.

-333 River. Parking would be extra, but there are 1 bedrooms in your range. Also check out all their sister properties (Constitution Court, 50 Columbus in JS, North and South Vanguard). There are some in your range.

-Check out the Artisan apartments. There are several buildings and some 1 bedrooms are in your range. Super close to the Biergarten, movie theater, and the new Trader Joes opening on Willow.

There's a new building between 12-13th streets and grand/Clinton that is currently leasing. Can't remember the name, but check there.

Honestly, you have a ton of choices in Hoboken for rentals in your range. Also check Craigslist and Zillow for condo owners renting out their units after the move somewhere else. Units go up for rent in our building all the time.

And you get a bit more for your money in West new York waterfront. We have friends at Riverbend in Port Imperial and they really like it there. They recently moved from a 1 to a 2 bedroom to keep staying there after having their first kiddo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey