Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 05:45 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,763,548 times

Advertisements

Jacsmora,

Come to Somerset County!! Avoid all this altogether! You won't be sorry. Your kids will have good schools and low crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 01:40 PM

2 posts, read 5,611 times
We raised our three children there, without any problems. Certain areas like center homes off of 166/9 is a def. no-no. Brookforest is really comfortable. If $ is an issue, try taking a look there. If $ is no object than go for Toms River. I wish I could have stayed there, but we moved south after 15+ years there. We even had a small business on Dover Rd. without a problem. Good Luck

Old 08-12-2009, 04:16 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,919,316 times
Wow, blast from the past on this thread. I live in Ocean County, and have not heard a word about the Ciba Geigi cancer cluster in 15 years. I really don't think that's relevant to anyone looking to buy in the TR area nowadays. Plus, most of the town is on city water, whereas private wells were the ones affected back then, if I recall correctly.

People should be aware, by the way, that South Toms River is a completely separate municipality than Toms River Township. The towns, aside from sharing a municipal border, are completely separate and have nothing to do with each other. They both have a distinct governing body, tax rate, public works, police dept., etc. People have to know this when they're moving, or else they may be looking at the Toms River info instead of South Toms River.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:37 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,748,440 times
Doesn't city water also come from underground wells? Those contaminated wells were closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
. . .Plus, most of the town is on city water, whereas private wells were the ones affected back then, if I recall correctly
. . .

Old 05-13-2010, 08:12 PM

1 posts, read 4,187 times
You DO NOT want to go there! Unfortunately we live in a neighboring town and you can still hear gunshots some nights from there. There has been much gang activity and as the one person wrote, it is close to, if not worse than it was 10 years ago. The schools are not the greatest- many have been known to turn bad once they've gotten into the high schools (esp. TR South HS). We ended up putting ours in private school. Try Monmouth County or Mercer County areas or even further south, i.e., Tuckerton or Little Egg Harbor- nicer, not as built up and less crime! Try checking out the State's UCR (Uniform Crime) Reports- google New Jersey's- every State Police has to report them and you can check by municipalities! Also, [url]www.greatschools.com-[/url] GOOD LUCK!!

Old 05-13-2010, 10:27 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,323,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJNU_PRFCT2GTHR_IDTS View Post
You DO NOT want to go there! Unfortunately we live in a neighboring town and you can still hear gunshots some nights from there. There has been much gang activity and as the one person wrote, it is close to, if not worse than it was 10 years ago. The schools are not the greatest- many have been known to turn bad once they've gotten into the high schools (esp. TR South HS). We ended up putting ours in private school. Try Monmouth County or Mercer County areas or even further south, i.e., Tuckerton or Little Egg Harbor- nicer, not as built up and less crime! Try checking out the State's UCR (Uniform Crime) Reports- google New Jersey's- every State Police has to report them and you can check by municipalities! Also, www.greatschools.com- GOOD LUCK!!
Quite suprising. South Toms River just doesn't seem that bad passing through on Route 530, the only area that looks bad is that Belmont Dr section off Rt.9, which reminds me of Mastic or N.Bellport here on Long Island.
Usually if gangs are present there's a significant amount of grafitti (tagging), and I haven't noticed much anywhere in Toms River.
Take a trip up to Lakewood, now THAT'S a real ghetto.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,639 times
Lightbulb Jim Crow Mindset

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakicka View Post
For the original poster asking if South Toms River is a good place to live... I can not decide that for you but I can give you a small overview of the town:
Predominately African American/White and low to low/mid income households with multiple children. There is a small apartment complex just inside the town that has been known to numerous violence, drug raids, and theft. The town sends its students to Central Regional or Toms River South HS depending upon where your house is in the town. I would not consider the town a nice place to live regardless if you are single, married, and have kids or not. There is one good food place though- Luigi's... real good italian catering and deli. South Toms River is like a mini-lakewood (the black section, not the hacidic jew section) This post is not racist or prejudice so please don't post anything referring to my comments elliciting me as a racist which I am not. These are the mere facts of the town, you can look them up on city stats and demographics to confirm my statements. Thanks.
Since I was researching the Internet and discovered DAKICKA's dump comments, I had to provide some REAL FACTS for the record!

Some people should think before showing their stupidity!
Read the facts below, please do not listen to loser!

South Toms River, N,J. Demograhics:
• White alone - 2,174 (59.0%)
• Hispanic - 718 (19.5%)
• Black alone - 649 (17.6%)
• Two or more races - 107 (2.9%)
• Asian alone - 23 (0.6%)
• American Indian alone - 8 (0.2%)
• Other race alone - 5 (0.1%)

Read more: [url]//www.city-data.com/city/South-Toms-River-New-Jersey.html#ixzz31o0Anz00[/url]
Races in South Toms River, NJ (2009)

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity"
Martin Luther King Jr.

Last edited by JBrick1430; 05-15-2014 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: Double checking submission!

Old 12-25-2017, 07:27 PM

5 posts, read 19,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
Wow, blast from the past on this thread. I live in Ocean County, and have not heard a word about the Ciba Geigi cancer cluster in 15 years. I really don't think that's relevant to anyone looking to buy in the TR area nowadays. Plus, most of the town is on city water, whereas private wells were the ones affected back then, if I recall correctly.

People should be aware, by the way, that South Toms River is a completely separate municipality than Toms River Township. The towns, aside from sharing a municipal border, are completely separate and have nothing to do with each other. They both have a distinct governing body, tax rate, public works, police dept., etc. People have to know this when they're moving, or else they may be looking at the Toms River info instead of South Toms River.
That's what I was thinking reading through this whole thread... Is it about the southern part of Toms River Twp, or about the Borough of South Toms River? I thought the latter, but obviously the majority of the posters meant the former.

Old 12-25-2017, 11:36 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Old post, but yeah, South Toms River is not Toms River.

Old 12-26-2017, 01:30 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,696,311 times
The actual Toms River is the Southern end of the town of Toms River.

All municipalities South of that are NOT Toms River Township.

STR
Beachwood
Pine Beach
Ocean Gate
Are all towns South of Toms River
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey