Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 06:41 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,919,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaegel View Post
The schools SUCK!!! They are so behind down here. There are many differences in the programs offered. In NJ my kids were learning a language in elementary, they had a dance/yoga program, art, music.
Just wow. You expect a school to provide a damn YOGA program? It's not a fitness club, it's a school! Perhaps in Florida they actually teach things like English, math and history rather than feel-good hippie lessons in diversity, basket-weaving and yoga. That's the reason NJ's schools are so screwed up and why education here costs double what it does everywhere else.

Funny, but I lived in Florida too and people who grew up there didn't seem "behind" anyone from New Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 08:00 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,936,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
Just wow. You expect a school to provide a damn YOGA program? It's not a fitness club, it's a school! Perhaps in Florida they actually teach things like English, math and history rather than feel-good hippie lessons in diversity, basket-weaving and yoga. That's the reason NJ's schools are so screwed up and why education here costs double what it does everywhere else.

Funny, but I lived in Florida too and people who grew up there didn't seem "behind" anyone from New Jersey.
FL schools are appalling compared to NJ schools....there is no arguing that. Even their "A" rated schools have proficiency rates in English and Math around 50% at 10-12 grade level. The top rated schools in NJ have rates around 98% at comparable ages.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:20 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,155,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
FL schools are appalling compared to NJ schools....there is no arguing that. Even their "A" rated schools have proficiency rates in English and Math around 50% at 10-12 grade level. The top rated schools in NJ have rates around 98% at comparable ages.
I agree. I happened to have been educated in PA, NJ and FL and there is no comparison. The Florida public grade school system is crap. When I lived in South Florida in the 90's, people where streaming out. I can't imagine it could get much worse than how it was when I bolted (I left in '97). Miami was unliveable at that time. I guess Broward should be like north Miami-Dade was when I left. I wonder if Coral Springs (was Mayberry) is still o.k..

Old 05-20-2009, 04:47 AM

835 posts, read 1,180,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
I agree. I happened to have been educated in PA, NJ and FL and there is no comparison. The Florida public grade school system is crap. When I lived in South Florida in the 90's, people where streaming out. I can't imagine it could get much worse than how it was when I bolted (I left in '97). Miami was unliveable at that time. I guess Broward should be like north Miami-Dade was when I left. I wonder if Coral Springs (was Mayberry) is still o.k..

But then wouldn't be easier for you to be at the top of the class if everyone else is a moron then maybe get a scholarship to a good college?

Old 10-16-2009, 05:43 PM

35 posts, read 140,346 times
We are leaving NJ and heading south, too! Our plan is South Carolina--and we are proud of our research! Yes, good bye corruption. Good bye winters! Good bye high taxes! Good bye to lines, and traffic and rude people. Lived here out entire lives in this state of NJ--have seen the changes--and now it's time for a CHANGE! Have you looked at SC? And are you really going to S. Florida?

Old 10-16-2009, 05:55 PM
am2

413 posts, read 856,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGIANTS View Post
The time is now. The corruption has become overwhelming. The cost of living is incredible, and now we are faced to pay more to go to work (tolls) to pay for the corruption in the Government.
My wife and I are heading south. Good bye Jersey winters and the rest of the crap that we have to put up with in this state.
Who is on the same page?

Been there, did that! I moved to Charlotte, NC from Gloucester Co. NJ in early 2008 and don't miss it one bit!

Old 10-17-2009, 04:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,229 times
Almost every one in their own state thinks their state is the worst. I left NJ back in 07 and moved to the mid-west. I had to go there on a business trip in 04 because of a medical seminar and started looking at houses and housing prices and area and I was amazed and I moved in 07. When I met my neighbors little over half of them were local and the other half were from the NY and MA area. My NY neighbor used to joke that he could by 3 mansions each on 5 acres in the Midwest for the price of a loft on the upper east side. Growing up in the 70s I have really seen very little change in the way NJ operates its just more obvious but now the taxes and housing have sky rocketed. I am now more comfortable in my 600k 7000 sq ft castle in bum****, nowhere on 3 acres then I was in my box house in NJ were I was raped for taxes.

Last edited by mrpoller; 10-17-2009 at 04:13 PM..

Old 10-17-2009, 04:50 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,639,437 times
I'm not ready to leave this state, but I'm with you in the sense that I probably share many of your frustrations/sentiments about the current state of affairs up north. I'll take FL over NJ, but given the problems with overdevelopment and a fair amount of crime in the cities, I'm more inclined to look elsewhere.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:57 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,789,213 times
I have decided to stay in NJ, because I see more and more jackass idiots announcing their plans to leave NJ. Good riddance, jackass idiots!

Old 10-17-2009, 09:17 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,629,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I have decided to stay in NJ, because I see more and more jackass idiots announcing their plans to leave NJ. Good riddance, jackass idiots!
The 49 other states breathe a collective sigh of relief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey