Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 04:51 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,354,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
I'll make this real easy for you. Short and sweet. You don't need firearms.

There...problem solved.
I'll make this real easy for you. Short and sweet. It's not up to you to decide what others may or may not need.

There...problem solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 07:54 AM

220 posts, read 379,467 times
I'm surprised at the amount of heat the OP is getting. I think day care is actually good for young kids, helps them get socialized, they learn and pick up things from kids that are older or more advanced, learn to share, etc. My 2yr old absolutely LOVES day care, he's running around and playing w/ the other kids 90% of the time he's there. He's not bored like he is when home w/ just us parents w/ the same toys and books. He craves being around other little people haha. The kids actually spend MORE time with each other than with the teachers at day care. At 2yrs old, the ratio of kids to teachers is 6:1, the teachers are NOT raising these kids, it's more about supervising them during play and activities. He's learning to draw, fingerpaint, watching butterflies hatch, celebrating classmates' birthdays, playing indoor kiddie soccer, decorating gifts for mothers/fathers day, dancing, doing sing a longs, coloring, etc.

As for the hours the OP is working, this is the stage in their careers where they have maximum earnings/career potential where it will set them up to be in a great position for the rest of theirs AND their children's' lives. This stage is very fleeting, it's very difficult to advance once you get past a certain point/age, and your career can plateau or very well decline. Finance might be lucrative, but do you know how unmarketable you are and difficult it is to get a job if you're a low or mid-level employee in your 40s competing against the young guns willing to work for cheap? You have to find a balance, it's not about making money to buy nice cars. Cost of private college will be well north of $200k by the time their kids go to school. It's about providing a nice comfortable home in a good town for your family. Living in the NYC metro area is extremely expensive as you all know, "just move to NYC" is a pretty ignorant statement. "Just wait to have kids" is also an ignorant statement considering the risks in pregnancy go up exponentially when women are over 30 and especially over 35. "Just move to a cheaper area", "just find a job that's closer and with better hours" etc all show naivete as well.

And I think it can be argued that children who experience social environments like day care are probably better adjusted when they eventually go to grade school than those that are home alone w/ their mom (or dad) all day every day. I agree it's not the perfect situation to have your kids in day care for 8-10hrs, but again it's about finding the right balance and figuring out what's the best for YOUR situation. On weekdays my wife and I see our boy for 1.5hrs in the morning and 3+hrs in the evening, we feed him dinner, give him a bath, play, and put him to bed every single night. He cant wait to go to school in the morning, and can't wait to come home w/ us in the afternoon. Obviously weekends are entirely just for us. There is zero confusion with him about who his parents are and who he loves and who loves him.

Last edited by jpf723; 06-23-2017 at 08:17 AM..

Old 06-27-2017, 03:35 PM

229 posts, read 251,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
That may be true but they can not outright ban the civilian possession of firearms which include those that are in "common use". "Common use" is written right there in the Heller and McDonald decision that confirmed that the 2nd Amendment is indeed an individual right and not a collective one related to service in a state/federal militia. I'm familiar with and have read the entire decision.

Some states such as the one I live in have their own constitutional provisions regarding the bearing of arms that are more specific than the federal one. Which leave no mistake for mis-interpretation:

So much for the "well regulated militia clause" at least in my home state. Other states have similar provisions. Some do not.

Why are we having this debate? For as long as I can remember gun control has always been the subject of intense debate from both sides and probably always will be. It's not too hard to figure that out.
The only thing that you need to take away from District of Columbia v. Heller
is the fact that Antonin Scalia of all people wrote that the second amendment is not unlimited and that prohibitions on carrying weapons are lawful under the second amendment (I know - no one was more shocked than me that an extremist nutcase like Scalia would rule that way).

So the law of the land is clear. It's been debated ad nauseum, and the Supreme Court has ruled. It just declined to review Peruta v. California, which is the same issue. That's why I'm not sure what the point is of continuing to debate the constitutionality of limiting second amendment rights.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:13 AM

93 posts, read 130,765 times
-You don't need anything to bring guns into NJ. You can register your guns, but it is 100% voluntary.
-You don't need a Firearms ID card to bring your guns to the range, gunsmith, hunting, etc.
-You can only transport firearms between your home, gunstore, gunsmith, range, hunting, regardless of whether you have a Firearms ID card or not. I know before you were theoretically at legal risk if you so much stopped at a gas station or drive-through window in between destinations, but that may have changed. The exception is that a Firearms ID card will allow you to transport an unloaded long gun anywhere.
-The same transportation restriction applies to hollow point bullets. If you have a hollow point bullet in your pocket, it isn't much different than carrying a loaded gun
-Guns can't be easily accessible while transporting, e.g locked in trunk. I'm too lazy to look up exact language.
-You will need a Firearms ID card if you want to buy handgun ammunition. Many places will consider .22lr to be handgun ammo, and some consider .223/5.56mm handgun ammo due to the existence of AR pistols (which are effectively not legal in NJ).
-You will need a Firearms ID if you want to buy a long gun. You will need to Handgun Permit to buy a handgun. If you nitpick, a Firearms ID isn't required to buy a handgun, but there's no reason to go to the trouble of getting a Handgun Permit without getting a Firearms ID card. Something to keep in mind for the situation where you want to buy a handgun, have a Handgun Permit, but lost your Firearms ID card.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:56 AM

312 posts, read 686,201 times
Does anyone know of any restrictions around ordering ammo online? I ordered some long-gun ammo with no issues. What about hand gun ammo? I doubt they will be checking your FID card before shipping.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:43 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grm215 View Post
-You don't need anything to bring guns into NJ. You can register your guns, but it is 100% voluntary.
-You don't need a Firearms ID card to bring your guns to the range, gunsmith, hunting, etc.
-You can only transport firearms between your home, gunstore, gunsmith, range, hunting, regardless of whether you have a Firearms ID card or not. I know before you were theoretically at legal risk if you so much stopped at a gas station or drive-through window in between destinations, but that may have changed. The exception is that a Firearms ID card will allow you to transport an unloaded long gun anywhere.
-The same transportation restriction applies to hollow point bullets. If you have a hollow point bullet in your pocket, it isn't much different than carrying a loaded gun
-Guns can't be easily accessible while transporting, e.g locked in trunk. I'm too lazy to look up exact language.
-You will need a Firearms ID card if you want to buy handgun ammunition. Many places will consider .22lr to be handgun ammo, and some consider .223/5.56mm handgun ammo due to the existence of AR pistols (which are effectively not legal in NJ).
-You will need a Firearms ID if you want to buy a long gun. You will need to Handgun Permit to buy a handgun. If you nitpick, a Firearms ID isn't required to buy a handgun, but there's no reason to go to the trouble of getting a Handgun Permit without getting a Firearms ID card. Something to keep in mind for the situation where you want to buy a handgun, have a Handgun Permit, but lost your Firearms ID card.
If you nitpick, a Firearms ID isn't required to buy a handgun...

How does that happen?

Old 07-01-2017, 05:32 AM

312 posts, read 686,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
If you nitpick, a Firearms ID isn't required to buy a handgun...

How does that happen?

This isn't a big deal, really. The background check process for the handgun permit is the same as the one for the FID card.

You won't be able to buy ammo for your handgun without the FID card.

Old 07-01-2017, 06:30 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,629,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post
Does anyone know of any restrictions around ordering ammo online? I ordered some long-gun ammo with no issues. What about hand gun ammo? I doubt they will be checking your FID card before shipping.
I bought a bunch of handgun ammo (.38 - .380 - .9mm and .45) from Cabelas a year ago, they didn't ask for any ID, shipped direct to my NJ address. Some online shippers want ID, some don't.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:22 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,227,205 times
http://www.njsp.org/firearms/pdf/sts-033.pdf

[SIZE=5][SIZE=5]Application for Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or Handgun Purchase Permit
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Item 15 asks for your NJFID number.

(15) N.J. FIREARMS ID CARD/SBI NUMBER

Can't get a permit to purchase unless you have an FID

In any case the FFL will run a NICS check before hand you your gun despite whatever permits you have.

As the NJ firearm laws are so interpetive, best practice is to have your FID when transporting guns anywhere and your permit to purchase pistol doc when you transport your pistol..anywhere.

To play lawyer and try to interpret the firearm laws as written is playing with fire.

When lawyers can argue the definition of "is", you have no chance reading a written law and interpreting it.

[SIZE=1][SIZE=1]

[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey