Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 11:01 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,499,452 times

Advertisements

This cracks me up. I'm supposed to be ok with paying a five-digit school tax bill to my town for public schools I don't use, but private school parents receive a lousy bus ride (SAME AS PUBLIC SCHOOL) everyone is all up in arms. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 11:12 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,317,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
That's $800 a kid (24M divided by 30,000)
Sounds like it would be a lot more expensive if those 30,000 kids entered the public school system
Something like $360,000,000 using 12K per kid
Double that. The statewide average expenditure per pupil in New Jersey is about $20,350 and Lakewood spends about 30% more than that — over $26,000.
Quote:
This cracks me up. I'm supposed to be ok with paying a five-digit school tax bill to my town for public schools I don't use, but private school parents receive a lousy bus ride (SAME AS PUBLIC SCHOOL) everyone is all up in arms. lol
It takes very "creative" reasoning to accuse the people saving you $25,000 per year of being the abusive ones.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:16 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Actually there was just a big Supreme Court ruling about this (it involved a playground grant at a Lutheran school). But it would be within your right to fight against this of course

It's amazing how cold-hearted people are against children yet private school parents pay the same taxes as everyone else. Hmm, makes you think there are other agendas in play
The supreme court bill was about repairing a church playground that was open to the public so it's not the same. NJ would not be discriminating against a religious school as long as their law prohibited paying for any private school transportation, not just religious schools

Old 06-29-2017, 11:18 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the abuse is that these people are paying for the public school system even though they dont use it. it seems perfectly reasonable for the buses to transport them. the rest of the public school attendees should be happy to have the extra money that isnt being spent educating the private school students. .
Everyone pays for public schools, not just people with kids in private school. Old people pay for schools, so why don't the school buses give them free rides too?

Old 06-29-2017, 11:20 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,317,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
If all the private school kids suddenly joined the public school system, what would that do to the school budget? Maybe the cost of buses is not so high in comparison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
Wouldnt be a problem if "everyone" paid property taxes. Instead of you know, claiming that $900k residential home on the end of a culdesac is a "religious institution" and paying zero dollars in property taxes.

Read an interesting stat the other day in the app, 75% of real estate transactions in lakewood are over 500k, yet 40% of the population is on the books as living under the poverty line lol. How do you explain that?
Actually, it would be a HUGE problem.

Lakewood's reduction in property tax revenue from its 350+/- "exempt" properties is only about $6,000,000 this year. If 30,000 children were added to the school system at a cost of $26,000 per child, it would cost $780,000,000 this year.

NET SHORTFALL: $774,000,000! Where is that three-quarters of a billion dollars going to come from?

I'm not saying your complaint is invalid but the math does not support your conclusion.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:01 PM

348 posts, read 460,660 times
This seems similar to an NPR story I listened to regarding the East Ramapo, NY school board.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:09 PM

10,486 posts, read 7,014,991 times
How much money are they receiving from the state? If it's none, let the town decide what they want to do.

A larger issue are towns like Asbury Park which receive insanity levels of state tax dollars per student (around 30k) in addition to what the town pays for their education. In comparison towns in Morris County receive $200 per student from the State.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The supreme court bill was about repairing a church playground that was open to the public so it's not the same. NJ would not be discriminating against a religious school as long as their law prohibited paying for any private school transportation, not just religious schools
It's not open to the public. It's a playground for a private preschool run by a Lutheran church. A preschool which includes religious instruction as one of its daily activities

Old 06-29-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Everyone pays for public schools, not just people with kids in private school. Old people pay for schools, so why don't the school buses give them free rides too?
Actually a lot of towns do have programming for seniors including free bus rides.

In my mom's town they will pick seniors up, bring them to the senior center, have activities, feed them lunch, and drive them home. Which I happen to think is a great use of tax money if it encourages seniors to stay in town

Old 06-29-2017, 12:31 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
once you have people paying for services that they cant use, you can always make arguments of this nature. i would agree and not make people pay who dont use the public schools. but there is no reason why people shouldnt advocate for fairness for themselves and that seems to be what happened in lakewood. they successfully got something for their money and people are angry with them for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey