Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 12:23 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I went out to lunch one day during Hannukah, and there was a poster attached to the lightpole on the corner from a rabbi reminding everyone that although this is great holiday for getting together and playing board games, women should not be playing together at the same table with men who are not related to them, not even if the man is your brother-in-law.

There was a funeral/memorial chapel down the street with two doors on either side of the building, "Men Entrance" and "Women Entrance".

It's just how they are. When I went to the store, I had to put my money down on the counter, and the man working behind the counter put my change down on the counter. One guy at the bakery was pretty creative, though. Told me to hold out my hand and deftly dropped the money into my palm. One day at the deli I went to pick up my change too fast, and our hands accidentally brushed. The young guy behind the counter then proceeded to furiously wipe his hand on his pants to get rid of the goy/lady cooties.
I grew up with that, so I know what you mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 12:32 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I grew up with that, so I know what you mean.
Were you in the community, or just grew up around them?

Don't misunderstand me. I worked for Satmar, and my boss and many of the others there, some Hasidic, some more modern Orthodox, were great people. I am very into knowing about other cultures and religions and finding our commonalities rather than our differences. That's my song and dance. (I just changed jobs and now work for a Muslim family-owned business.)

As with all cultures, there are all kinds within a community. There were people in Borough Park, mostly the women, but some men, who let doors slam in my face or looked past me as if I simply didn't exist. There were others who were polite and friendly and even made little jokes as we stood on line for food at a store.

I am a vegetarian, so the separation of meat and dairy worked out well. Jews make some good meatless dishes. I will miss Borough Park's food, alas.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:52 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
The young guy behind the counter then proceeded to furiously wipe his hand on his pants to get rid of the goy/lady cooties.
yucky goyim cooties. my grandpa was a funny guy with his anti-christian and his old school racism. he was just a reform style jew but back then they cared more about being jewish. he did threaten not to talk to my uncle ever again if his wife didnt convert. crazy that such a good guy could also be so nuts. but the mentality was different back then.

i wouldnt want to be around the lakewood joos. definitely some good joos but i dont like the total lack of respect for others that i have felt from many of them. its as if you dont exist if you arent one of them. still, i believe that they have a right to fight to get some return on all the property taxes they pay. so the town spends a few bucks on transportation and doesnt spend all the money on educating. works out as a net positive for them but people still want to complain.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:22 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,499,452 times
Kiryas Joel was the scariest place I ever drove through

Old 06-30-2017, 01:47 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,763,518 times
Quote:
...The young guy behind the counter then proceeded to furiously wipe his hand on his pants to get rid of the goy/lady cooties.
You know better than to typed this. You've worked within their community and unrelated people of the opposite sex can't make body contact. It had nothing to do with being not Jewish, it had to do with you being a woman.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:57 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
You know better than to typed this. You've worked within their community and unrelated people of the opposite sex can't make body contact. It had nothing to do with being not Jewish, it had to do with you being a woman.
which is much more rational. touching a woman may set off an unstoppable urge to get busy. what happens next can not be held against the jewish guy.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:59 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times
Quote:
Were you in the community, or just grew up around them?

Don't misunderstand me. I worked for Satmar, and my boss and many of the others there, some Hasidic, some more modern Orthodox, were great people. I am very into knowing about other cultures and religions and finding our commonalities rather than our differences. That's my song and dance. (I just changed jobs and now work for a Muslim family-owned business.)

As with all cultures, there are all kinds within a community. There were people in Borough Park, mostly the women, but some men, who let doors slam in my face or looked past me as if I simply didn't exist. There were others who were polite and friendly and even made little jokes as we stood on line for food at a store.

I am a vegetarian, so the separation of meat and dairy worked out well. Jews make some good meatless dishes. I will miss Borough Park's food, alas.
I grew up in a neighborhood that, at the time, seemed predominately Jewish. It wasn't, but nearly all of the merchants were Jews. Wolf, Goldstein, Kaplan, Finkle, Himmelstein.

They always wore long sleeved shirts to hide the tattoos. Max Altman, the local dry cleaner and tailor, was really scary. He was very gruff. I used to cry when my mother sent me there to pick up dad's suits.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Do you think he would have been so obvious about it if I were part of the community, Pru? Honest question. I figured if I looked like his mother or sister, he would have been more discreet.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 06-30-2017 at 08:47 PM..

Old 06-30-2017, 08:45 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,263,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
yucky goyim cooties. my grandpa was a funny guy with his anti-christian and his old school racism. he was just a reform style jew but back then they cared more about being jewish. he did threaten not to talk to my uncle ever again if his wife didnt convert. crazy that such a good guy could also be so nuts. but the mentality was different back then.
My BILs parents weren't too happy when his wife DID convert, believe it or not. Mostly b/c they knew she's over-the-top controlling & that she'd head straight for criticizing what "bad Jews" his parent & the rest of his family are. And sure enough....

Old 06-30-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
which is much more rational. touching a woman may set off an unstoppable urge to get busy. what happens next can not be held against the jewish guy.
I don't think so. The guy was in his 20s. I am 58.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey