Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 08:05 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalim2008 View Post
True Blue Americans - New York Times

But what's really outrageous is the claim that the heartland is self-reliant. That grotesque farm bill, by itself, should put an end to all such assertions; but it only adds to the immense subsidies the heartland already receives from the rest of the country. As a group, red states pay considerably less in taxes than the federal government spends within their borders; blue states pay considerably more. Over all, blue America subsidizes red America to the tune of $90 billion or so each year.

And:Certainly the heartland has no claim to superiority when it comes to family values. If anything, the red states do a bit worse than the blue states when you look at indicators of individual responsibility and commitment to family. Children in red states are more likely to be born to teenagers or unmarried mothers -- in 1999, 33.7 percent of babies in red states were born out of wedlock, versus 32.5 percent in blue states. National divorce statistics are spotty, but per capita there were 60 percent more divorces in Montana than in New Jersey.
And the red states have special trouble with the Sixth Commandment: the murder rate was 7.4 per 100,000 inhabitants in the red states, compared with 6.1 in the blue states, and 4.1 in New Jersey.
I didn't bother to open this link because I smell Paul Krugman from 2,200 miles away with this rhetoric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I did. If you re-read my post, I went and found a listing of divorce rates by state, and the same way the NY Times spun it by comparing the rates in Montana and NJ, I spun it in the other direction by comparing to ND.

It just shows that blanket "red"/"blue" comparisons don't mean anything- just the fact that lumping all of the states into only two categories puts NJ and a bunch of other states in the same boat as California should be enough to keep you from ever wanting to be sitting in that boat- CA is an absolute trainwreck, and is someplace you shoudn't ever want to be lumped in with.........

And if you think about it, your pregnancy rate comparison, if dug into a little deeper, may actually reveal something interesting. If the blue states are only 1% behind the red states in babies born out of wedlock, there must be alot more out of wedlock pregnancies, considering the greater support for abortion in the blue states, no? So who really has the bigger problem there, now?? In fact, a quick check of statistics shows abortion rates as a percentage of live births running around 10% higher in the blue states than the red, so who's preaching "family values" here???
The entire 'red' vs 'blue' argument is at best, an intellecutally tepid way to analyze data as it pertains to the social and economic trends in this country. To blanket an entire state with a voting disposition is about as ingenous as making the claim that all black people like to eat fried chicken and dance. For instance, New Mexico went to Gore by 366 votes in 2000, and to Bush by about 1500 votes in 2004. So, in 4 years, it went from a 'blue' state to a 'red' state? This line of thinking is nothing short of asinine. Similarly, the entirety of Florida, won by Bush by 560 votes in 2000, becomes a 'Red' state? To better analyze voting patterns, you have to derive data from the county level. When you do this, a different story is told. Naming Florida as one example, consider Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties, which have three of the highest crime rates in the state. These counties are all solidly Democrat. Most 'red' states have large urban areas where the counties vote highly Democrat. Fulton County Georgia, Marion County Indiana, St Louis, Shelby County Tennessee, etc. Extract these counties out of the 'red' state they are contained within, then compare/contrast data from those counties, compared to the surrounding suburban counties that vote reliably Republican, and tell me where you'd rather live. While we are at it, tell me if you'd rather live in downtown Newark (blue Essex County) or surrounding Morris County (solidly 'red'). When you look at the data in these terms, and interpolate spatial dispersion of residents vis a vis voting patterns, similar trends emerge, irrespective of locale: cities tend to vote solidly for Democrats, with surrounding suburbs considerably more volatile, depending on the area, with rural areas voting Republican, unless you are in rural areas that are settled with non-whites, then the patterns hold for Democrats, most notably in very poor areas such as rural Mississippi, Alabama, the Rio Grande Valley in Texas, or Indian reservations.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:51 AM

717 posts, read 773,493 times
- Great job posting that NY Times article. I'm sure its a fair and accurate portrayal of Red and Blue states. -- Insert sarcasm

-NJ is not the most liberal state. This is not HIPPIEVILLE LIKE VERMONT.
There are many conservative areas. Its basically on a county by county basis. You go out to Warren and Sussex and you'd think you're in Indiana. I believe most of rural southern NJ is right of center as well. Morris county has a majority of Republicans with the more liberal areas like Morristown and Dover thrown in.

-Id say NJ is a fiscally conservative and socially middle of the road overall.
You will see when this awful Governor is voted out in 09.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGIANTS View Post
- Great job posting that NY Times article. I'm sure its a fair and accurate portrayal of Red and Blue states. -- Insert sarcasm

-NJ is not the most liberal state. This is not HIPPIEVILLE LIKE VERMONT.
There are many conservative areas. Its basically on a county by county basis. You go out to Warren and Sussex and you'd think you're in Indiana. I believe most of rural southern NJ is right of center as well. Morris county has a majority of Republicans with the more liberal areas like Morristown and Dover thrown in.

-Id say NJ is a fiscally conservative and socially middle of the road overall.
You will see when this awful Governor is voted out in 09.
I wish you were right AJGiants, however after residing in the state for 38 years, I've concluded there are enough votes within the cities to more than nullify any voter discontent in the suburbs and rural communities. These are folks that would vote a ham sandwich into the Governor's mansion if it had a "D" in front of it.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I wish you were right AJGiants, however after residing in the state for 38 years, I've concluded there are enough votes within the cities to more than nullify any voter discontent in the suburbs and rural communities. These are folks that would vote a ham sandwich into the Governor's mansion if it had a "D" in front of it.
Trying to be optimistic. But the urban areas who vote Democrat no matter what do overtake the suburbs and rural NJ every time. I guess thats why they live the way they do and the people in the suburbs live the way they do. I am a true believer in more Power to Local Governments then to the Federal. I was fortunate to grow up in a very Republican area (locally).

My most optimistic hope is NJ goes Red in 2008 and our Governor is voted out the next year. He can take his corrupt statehouse and shove it!

Old 03-17-2008, 11:14 AM

438 posts, read 965,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
a factual paragraph and picture trumps a bs 4 column story pushing an agenda any day. The NY Times has been proven many times over to be far from a credible source of into. it is so bad there is a website that tracks their inaccuracies and biased reporting, Welcome to TimesWatch.org
that site is laughable at best....
pointing to EDITORIALS as grounds for proof of bias is weak
same can go for the left screaming about the wall street journal and using he op-ed section as proof..

Old 03-17-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfulou View Post
same can go for the left screaming about the wall street journal and using he op-ed section as proof..
It is impossible to get a straight story anymore. Every News organization has an agenda now.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:33 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,324 times
Default Liberal NJ

It's liberal because it has been taken over by nyc people living in north jersey and we have newark, camden, and trenton which all have liberal social programs. Also the fact that we have a liberal state government. They haven't found a government program they don't like and want more.
It's a state with billions of debt and loves to spend money it doesnt have. Which is what you get when you have a BLUE republican with spending and democrats working together to fund half the word, print money we dont have and as a nation be 9 trillion in debt.

Solution is to restore people who view the limited role of government in all facts of life and you would have little room for the federal and state governments to get so big they control the markets and your tax dollars that go to interest groups Right or Left.

A true American should be one who wants the government to do less. Let me run my life and my money and keep your hands out of my pocket to pay for someone else. That is called stealing not helping. If I wish to help I would rather donate my money if I choose and where I choose. That is called Freedom. You won't find individual freedom protected by the constitution the more new jersey becomes liberal.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:51 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,965,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfulou View Post
they point to some editorials but highlight the bias in their so called news stories, go back and try and focus your liberal mind on reality

Old 03-17-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
It's liberal because it has been taken over by nyc people living in north jersey and we have newark, camden, and trenton which all have liberal social programs. Also the fact that we have a liberal state government. They haven't found a government program they don't like and want more.
It's a state with billions of debt and loves to spend money it doesnt have. Which is what you get when you have a BLUE republican with spending and democrats working together to fund half the word, print money we dont have and as a nation be 9 trillion in debt.

Solution is to restore people who view the limited role of government in all facts of life and you would have little room for the federal and state governments to get so big they control the markets and your tax dollars that go to interest groups Right or Left.

A true American should be one who wants the government to do less. Let me run my life and my money and keep your hands out of my pocket to pay for someone else. That is called stealing not helping. If I wish to help I would rather donate my money if I choose and where I choose. That is called Freedom. You won't find individual freedom protected by the constitution the more new jersey becomes liberal.
Let me know if you ever run for office. I will be your first supporter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey