Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 06:43 PM

8 posts, read 5,445 times

Advertisements

Hi. I recently moved out of a rental building in Jersey City. Within 30 days, the landlord did provide notice of several deductions to the security deposit, as well as issued the check prior to 30 days which was delivered. However, as part of the itemized deductions, there landlord did not list, nor did the check include, any interest that was earned on the deposit over the 2 years.

I have emailed twice about this to no response, asking for an itemized list that includes interest, and also asking when I should expect the true-up for the interest owed.

How do I determine how much interest I am owed over the 2 years. What course of action do I have now? How much can I go to small claims court for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 07:20 PM

777 posts, read 2,379,255 times
With interest rates on bank accounts at major banks being as low as 0.01 APY, it would hardly justify suing the landlord.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:28 PM

Perhaps... But if they lose then aren't they responsible for paying court fees so really that's their bad for not owning up to the interest.

Additionally, I have reason to believe that this is not an isolated occurrence as two other residents also have reported that interest was not paid. It also is not clear if deposits were placed in separate accounts. Per NJ law, if there are violations to the deposit laws, there may be a 7% interest fee associated with it?

Old 10-11-2017, 06:54 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,834,779 times
The law does not apply to the landlord if he/she owns less than 10 rental units. How many does your landlord own?

Old 10-11-2017, 06:55 AM

Thousands

Old 10-11-2017, 09:12 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,834,779 times
Then your next step is to send a written 30 demand to the landlord. If he fails to respond, you free to pursue legal actions.

http://www.nj.gov/dca/divisions/code...depsit_law.pdf

Old 10-11-2017, 09:20 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,277 times
Make sure you send it in some way that proves they received it!

Old 10-11-2017, 09:28 AM

16,910 posts, read 10,582,210 times
I agree with all of these responses, the problem is that your damages won't be much. You are looking at a faction of a percent over two years. If he or she failed to return the deposit it might be worth fighting.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:09 PM

343 posts, read 614,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCrew7384 View Post
Hi. I recently moved out of a rental building in Jersey City. Within 30 days, the landlord did provide notice of several deductions to the security deposit, as well as issued the check prior to 30 days which was delivered. However, as part of the itemized deductions, there landlord did not list, nor did the check include, any interest that was earned on the deposit over the 2 years.

I have emailed twice about this to no response, asking for an itemized list that includes interest, and also asking when I should expect the true-up for the interest owed.

How do I determine how much interest I am owed over the 2 years. What course of action do I have now? How much can I go to small claims court for?
Only do this because you want to be a **** to the landlord after they screwed you over on deposit.

No other reason, the interest you will get back maybe $1

Old 10-26-2017, 05:38 AM

That's the only reason. Two years of nightmare landlord and building maintenance and management. They have agreed to send me an interest check now. But now I also question whether the money was actually in the bank account as dictated by law. As in, they might have just pocketed it for 2 years.

If they didn't put in an approved bank account, isn't it eligible for interest at 7%/year as a penalty?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: