Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2017, 06:42 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times

Advertisements

I was over in Elizabeth Traffic Court to get a ticket settled late in the afternoon. I have never been there before, I noticed there were lots of historical buildings in the town but now it looks like a dump. The streets look dirty with trash like beverage cups and paper everywhere.

Once I got out of court and the sun went down, the place looks scary.

Was Elizabeth this bad in the 70s? How did a city that looked like it had some urban feel to it became zombieland?

Here's an NY Times article from 1983 and it seems like Elizabeth has already became a crime hotspot.

IF YOU'RE THINKING OF LIVING IN - ELIZABETH - NYTimes.com

"The perception of crime in Elizabeth may be worse than the reality. Police Chief John F. Brennan said that although the city had its ''share of street crime,'' incidents of breaking and entering, car theft and larceny had all either stabilized or been reduced over the last year. The crime rate per 1,000 residents declined from 88 in 1981 to 84.9 in 1982, according to the New Jersey State Police Uniform Crime Report. The rate in 1982 was 112 in Newark, 98.7 in Paterson and 84.1 in Jersey City." - NYTimes 1983
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 06:48 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
It's one of the most famous places in history and everyone, almost everyone is from Elizabeth,,, I know what you mean.
At one point it was considered to be a Capital of the United States back in the 1700s.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:02 PM

857 posts, read 835,091 times
It's one of the greatest places in NJ. I'm from there you are from there too. Everyone is. The destitute look is just a facade to keep hipsters from Brooklyn who really only lived there for 2 months and are actually from Ohio away and ruining everything.

Old 10-14-2017, 12:19 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Elizabeth is FAR BETTER today than it was just 15-20 years ago. I used to appraise in the Port area and the Peterstown area and it was a burnt out mess with row after row of abandoned homes and factories and destitution everywhere. Today the Port is a vibrant residential community and abandoned properties are relatively rare. I used to dread assignments in Elizabeth. Today, no problem. Elmora is actually quite expensive, and downtown ain't cheap either. North Elizabeth is still a but run down especially near 1&9, but even there it's not that bad. Overall Elizabeth has improved 100% over the past 2 decades.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:30 AM

1,553 posts, read 2,448,709 times
Elizabeth is a great city, it doesn't get the credit it deserves. There are so many great restaurants like Valenco's, El Iman, Spirito's, Yoly's, and many others. DeSantos pizzeria was rated as the best pizzeria in New Jersey by nj.com. The crime rate, per 100,000 ratio, is very similar to that of New York City, which is one of the safest major cities in the United States. Elizabeth has great shopping options whether you are in Midtown, Jersey Gardens, or nearby IKEA. Plus it is close to Newark Liberty Airport, New York City, the turnpike and Routes 1 and 9. The ethnic diversity is also worth mentioning. Elizabeth has Colombians, Cubans, Central and South Americans, Portuguese, Italians, and West Indians. The ethnic diversity is reflected in its stores and restaurants. I went to Little Colombia, on Morris Avenue near Broad Street, which is a very beautiful tree lined street with businesses and buildings well taken care of. I had lunch at Monchy's (the maricuya is worth trying by the way). Great food at a reasonable price. If I were you, I would make a day for myself to visit Elizabeth.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:51 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Elizabeth has been ruined by illegal immigrants and gangs.

Old 10-15-2017, 01:14 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times
The biggest problem with Elizabeth is that it's industrial nature makes it one of the ugliest cities in all of NJ.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:11 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
I know Elizabeth city outskirts are ok since I've eaten at some places on Elmora Ave but I have never been downtown. It's quite a contrast since downtown seems less diverse to me. It looks ghetto at night because it was dirty like the streets weren't cleaned for weeks and teenagers hanging out by the train station on the lookout.

Yet, it is only about 10mins away from Cranford town center which look nothing like Elizabeth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey