Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 12:05 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
The republicans totally backed the wrong candidate IMO. I knew there was no way that Guadagno could distance herself from Christie. I've been saying that since before the primary election.
Oh I agree on that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 12:06 PM

856 posts, read 704,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
The republicans totally backed the wrong candidate IMO. I knew there was no way that Guadagno could distance herself from Christie. I've been saying that since before the primary election.
Phil Murphy won this election for the following reasons:

1. He appealed to legal immigrants and suburban voters fed up with Chris Christie and Donald Trump

2. He appealed to voters in impoverished urban communities and gave them a sense of hope. It's worth noting that these cities are run by Democrats and the Democrats have done absolutely nothing to promote economic growth and crack down on crime in these communities.

3. While Murphy gave his Democratic base a reason to vote, Kim Guadagno didn't do the same for her base. In the final weeks, it seemed her message shifted right to appeal to her base, but many Republicans disapprove of Chris Christie and some likely stayed home on election day. Guadagno, despite her rhetoric on sanctuary cities, is a moderate.

4. Money

5. Phil Murphy pandered to every non-Republican voter in one way or another. Kim Guadagno didn't pander to independent voters because she was too busy trying to get her base out to vote, which as I said above failed.

Chris Christie is an interesting case study in political science. He was extremely popular during his first-term, this is a guy who won 60% of the vote and 19 of 21 counties during his re-election bid. Bridgegate damaged him, and his presidential bid made things worse because despite a few good things he did during his first-term, he began to ignore New Jersey during his second-term. Thanks to Christie's carelessness, we now have a con-artist who has a fundamental misunderstanding of the economy and our state's fiscal condition preparing to become our Governor in January.

Thanks Chris!

Old 11-08-2017, 12:16 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,491 times
Going points above.

Also worth noting Murphy was not just the candidate of the poor and/or minorities. Looking at maps for both the last Presidential election and median HH income the "blue" towns/cities are not exclusively low income zones.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:29 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,868,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
5. Phil Murphy pandered to every non-Republican voter in one way or another. Kim Guadagno didn't pander to independent voters because she was too busy trying to get her base out to vote, which as I said above failed.
In regards to this, with 15% turnout statewide neither bases came out to vote.

Old 11-08-2017, 01:33 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,626,763 times
Besides working at the same company why are Murphy and Corzine the same?

Old 11-08-2017, 01:44 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,497,472 times
Eh people just like a change. They go back and forth, D, R. on and on.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:20 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrex View Post
Why are you so convinced anything would have been different under Guadango? Her grasp (or as least communication) of NJ's financial issues was as unrealistic as Murphy. Nobody really knows what we're getting with either.
I don't know what would have been under Guadango - but who in their right mind votes for a candidate that promises to raise taxes (in a state that is already over-taxed) and make NJ the first sanctuary state?

Old 11-08-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
It's not only taxes with him.

Go ahead and drive with illegals who probably will be allowed to have driver licenses and not be insured and that's only for starters amongst other radical ideas.

It's what Murphy didn't say that people should be worried about just as much.

"The other person" would've been "tame" in comparison imho.

Have fun paying for people who shouldn't be allowed to be in our country to begin with while people who have and are currently going through the legal route of trying to become an American citizen gets shafted as it's NOT fair to them.

I'm NOT against LEGAL immigration done the right way. Not illegals who come here expecting handouts which Murphy thanks to the taxpayer to foot the bill while potentially having much more crime and the like as nobody knows anything about these people coming in if they're anti-american or whatnot.
A good friend of mine was t-boned (had her 3 young children in the car with her) by an illegal.

He jumped out of the car he was driving (had no license, was a friend's or legal family member's car) and ran. Bystanders tackled him and sat on him until the police arrived.

He was drunk (this was around 8-9am). Wasn't his first DUI offense. The judge let him go after he sobered up. He disappeared.

My friend (whose husband was in Afghanistan at the time) had her car totaled & medical bills to pay.

Thanks to a friendly illegal alien & illegal alien loving judge.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
Both of these candidates were terrible. None will fix NJ's fiscal problems. Legalizing weed is going to be raise a lot of revenue that will raided by be the politicians for increasing their personal wealth. Little of the new revenue will go to solve any fiscal problems. The fiscal condition of the state is embarrassing.
I don't disagree that Guadango was a bad choice.

I don't mind that pot will be legal & taxed, but I don't think it's going to be quite the windfall (that the tokers are using as an excuse for voting for Murphy) some think it will.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:30 PM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
Jerseyites are a strange bunch. All you hear from them is complaint after complaint over how high their taxes are, then elect a Governor who is promising 1.3 billion in more taxes.....lol

you can't make this stuff up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey