Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2017, 04:04 PM

3 posts, read 13,038 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are Asian Indian family of 4 (two kids aged 5 & 2) moving from Dallas to Livingston NJ. Though there are similar forums, couldn’t find any with recent results. Could anyone please suggest best school district and apartments with Indian community near Livingston. We are open for cities nearby to Livingston as well.

Looking for some positive responses. Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 04:16 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,087,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spras123 View Post
Hi,

We are Asian Indian family of 4 (two kids aged 5 & 2) moving from Dallas to Livingston NJ. Though there are similar forums, couldn’t find any with recent results. Could anyone please suggest best school district and apartments with Indian community near Livingston. We are open for cities nearby to Livingston as well.

Looking for some positive responses. Thanks !
Parsippany.

It's hard to find an apartment complex in Parsippany that is NOT mostly Indian.

School district is good and good for Indians.

The star of the football team was an Indian guy when I was there, and that was ages ago when people were racist as sh@t. Sufficient to say, your kids would fit in there.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:22 PM

18,460 posts, read 15,240,962 times
If you want a top school system, go with either Livingston, or The boardering town of Millburn. There are enough Indians in both towns that you wouldn’t feel isolated. There are also a ton of Chinese people in both towns for that “diversity” factor that people seem to be looking for these days.

Livingston never really had apartments until recently, with the exception of a couple of 55 and over communities. But there are now 2 apartment complexes that cater to families. One, recently built, on Northfield ave, near the intersection of Hillside ave. And the other is under construction off of Eisenhower Parkway near Livingston Circle.

If having a very large Indian population is more important to you, go with Parsippany. They have a decent school system.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:12 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,087,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
There are also a ton of Chinese people in both towns for that “diversity” factor that people seem to be looking for these days.
I know that most of my Asian friends want to raise their kids in diverse towns because they were picked on and/or subjected to racism as kids.

And most of them were BORN HERE.

So, it's kind of important for them, even if their kids are second generation.

My black friends too. Not too many of them want to move to Milburn.

I suspect things will be better for their kids but still ...

With our parents' generation, it was more about "I don't give a sh@t about diversity. I just want to move my kid to a good school system."

But Parsippany also offers genuine Indian culture. There's two Subzi Mandi's there!

Old 11-11-2017, 05:05 PM

Thanks for your valuable response, we are looking for apartments in a good school district(elementary) with diversity within 10~20 miles radius of Livingston. Not much leaned towards Indian community apartments but a presence is sufficient as currently we live in a zero Indian community.

Parsippany is one of the places we are looking but apartments seems to be old and small, any other suggestions.....our budget is around $1800-$2200 for a 2bhk...

Old 11-12-2017, 06:57 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,495,422 times
2 bedrooms are generally 800-1,000 square feet.

I wouldn't be concerned with older versus newer...it's just an apartment, you aren't going to be living there forever.

And some of the older ones are built better than the newer ones. We lived in an new Avalon apartment last year during a relo and it looked "new" except it felt like it was made of popsicle sticks. You could hear every step of the neighbors upstairs.

Old 11-12-2017, 12:06 PM

Thanks...will seriously look around Parsippany as first preference, any other nearby place as second option
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey