Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 07:35 AM

45 posts, read 91,759 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering a job in tarrytown. We are moving away from the Bay Area California because if our inability to afford a decent home here. He has 3 potential offers and I am trying to figure out which would suit our needs best (San deigo, PA, Tarrytown). Will really appreciate your inputs. Which areas would be best to live in?

Background: non-white couple with 2 elementary school/daycare kids. Make 250K $ annually combined. I work from home.

Priorities:

- good public schools and a safe area
- commute under 20 minutes to work
- be able to afford at least a 3-bedroom house comfortably (for reference we pay 3500$ rent per month right now for a 2 bedroom and looking to drastically reduce that amount). We are also open to buying if under 500k.

Any other inputs about the area will be welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 08:23 AM

857 posts, read 838,031 times
So are you looking to rule out the white neighborhoods?

Old 11-18-2017, 09:12 AM

45 posts, read 91,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal1 View Post
So are you looking to rule out the white neighborhoods?
No not really
Would prefer a diverse neighborhood though

Old 11-18-2017, 09:22 AM

88,701 posts, read 85,065,285 times
Tarrytown is in New York and would not be an easy commute from anywhere in New Jersey. You'd have to deal with the Tappan Zee Bridge--excuse me, the Mario Cuomo Bridge--coming and going.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:52 AM

19,162 posts, read 25,405,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Tarrytown is in New York and would not be an easy commute from anywhere in New Jersey. You'd have to deal with the Tappan Zee Bridge--excuse me, the Mario Cuomo Bridge--coming and going.

I agree that it would be better to live in NY state, but perhaps a town like Ramsey, NJ would make sense for the OP if she wants to live in our state. It would probably take ~30 minutes to commute to Tarrytown from Ramsey, and there are rentals w/in her budget in Ramsey.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:00 AM

610 posts, read 534,955 times
I suggest you visit the Westchester county forum (NY). Tarrytown is in Westchester and would probably be your best bet for a short commute. White Plains is a small city just a few miles from Tarrytown that might meet your objectives.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:44 AM

4,289 posts, read 10,786,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I agree that it would be better to live in NY state, but perhaps a town like Ramsey, NJ would make sense for the OP if she wants to live in our state. It would probably take ~30 minutes to commute to Tarrytown from Ramsey, and there are rentals w/in her budget in Ramsey.
Ramsey or Mahwah could work. So could the Park Ridge area of your are near the parkway. It’s a very limited slice of NJ though that will get over the bridge in 30 minutes (and she asked for 20minutes). This should get reposted on the NY board as you have some options there as well.

FYI that the Tappan Zee bridge currently only has a $5 toll round trip. The bridge was just replaced and they have not increased the toll. I could see NY increasing it a buck or two.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:46 AM

522 posts, read 995,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drums View Post
My husband is considering a job in tarrytown. We are moving away from the Bay Area California because if our inability to afford a decent home here. He has 3 potential offers and I am trying to figure out which would suit our needs best (San deigo, PA, Tarrytown). Will really appreciate your inputs. Which areas would be best to live in

Thanks in advance.
The cold weather and snow is not worth it. Stay in Bay area. Also Tarrytown does not have many jobs. You will likely have to move again if you want to change jobs.

Old 11-18-2017, 12:42 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,270,736 times
I would look in the Closter/Norwood/Northvale area. The commute is about a half an hour to Tarrytown. No problem with your rental budget, house buying may be more difficult. Go up 9w to TPZ. Its a lovely commute with great views and not bad unless you are behind school buses. Most people would give their right arm for such an easy, low cost commute. I am not as familiar with the westchester and ct town that are commutable but you might want to ask on those forums.
Large Korean population in the towns mentioned.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:56 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,580,670 times
We're gonna have $15 an hour minimum age at some unknown point. Come on over!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: