Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2018, 05:04 PM

40 posts, read 27,704 times

Advertisements

Evening!

I think my title isn't very clear.

Since I might be moving to Jersey and finally start an actual adult life with money, I am toying with the project of having a horse and wondering how much that would cost there. I used to own one when I was younger until I had to put him down, so I'm not being a weirdo who doesn't know a thing about horses and wants one like she might want a mini horse on her balcony.

Anyway--the situation I'm used to is my horse living with a herd on fields at an owners-only barn. It wasn't that expensive as it was still pretty small and it was in the country side in France, a sort of lost area in the mountains. Now I fully realize how ideal that was.

So what I'm trying to figure out is if there are similar places in central Jersey where the horse can be kept with a herd on grassy fields (they were only led back inside a big sheltered pen at night in the winter, but winter wasn't as bad as it is here on the US East Coast). I know NJ is also known as "horse country," so I'm sure there is something like this out there!

How much do you think it usually costs for that type of boarding barn? Is Jersey pretty expensive, or is it a little on the cheaper side since it's "horse country"? I'm not looking for anything fancy, I don't really jump, I don't care for showing, and I usually do dressage and trail. I used to do multiple-day hikes with our group of friends, and I'm looking for that again. A muddy, sloppy, smelly and beautiful relationship with a horse who looks like a bear in the winter and grooms and fights and runs with friends in the open.

Thanks for reading!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 08:41 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanaka View Post
Evening!

Since I might be moving to Jersey and finally start an actual adult life with money, I am toying with the project of having a horse and wondering how much that would cost there. I used to own one when I was younger until I had to put him down, so I'm not being a weirdo who doesn't know a thing about horses and wants one like she might want a mini horse on her balcony.

Anyway--the situation I'm used to is my horse living with a herd on fields at an owners-only barn. It wasn't that expensive as it was still pretty small and it was in the country side in France, a sort of lost area in the mountains. Now I fully realize how ideal that was.

So what I'm trying to figure out is if there are similar places in central Jersey where the horse can be kept with a herd on grassy fields (they were only led back inside a big sheltered pen at night in the winter, but winter wasn't as bad as it is here on the US East Coast). I know NJ is also known as "horse country," so I'm sure there is something like this out there!

How much do you think it usually costs for that type of boarding barn? Is Jersey pretty expensive, or is it a little on the cheaper side since it's "horse country"? I'm not looking for anything fancy, I don't really jump, I don't care for showing, and I usually do dressage and trail. I used to do multiple-day hikes with our group of friends, and I'm looking for that again. A muddy, sloppy, smelly and beautiful relationship with a horse who looks like a bear in the winter and grooms and fights and runs with friends in the open.

Thanks for reading!
You might still find that in some parts of Sussex County. Otherwise try places in West Milford, NJ.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You might still find that in some parts of Sussex County. Otherwise try places in West Milford, NJ.
Thanks! Those are a little too far, though.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:59 PM

3,022 posts, read 5,858,035 times
Quote:
Evening!

Thanks for reading!

Google the words: horse boarding central nj

Try Pennsylvania also. Some parts of PA are very close to central NJ.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:02 PM

Thank you for your help....
What’s wrong with asking people directly as well? What’s the point of a forum if people are going to refer others to Google?

Old 01-31-2018, 04:50 AM

23,582 posts, read 17,258,837 times
Readington twp has many horse farms. Seriously, big time beautiful horse farms aplenty. One recent gigantic horse farm off rt 202 south, just before the south branch crosses rt 202. three bridges section off railroad ave and river road. More River roads in NJ than you can wave a riding crop at.

One next door in Branchburg twp along the south branch of the Raritan river is Chapot farms, former Olympic training center from years back. Opie rd/river rd

Another gigantic horse farm off pleasant run rd/county rd 629, about 2 miles west of rt 202.

Lana lobel property off rattlesnake bridge rd, might be Branchburg, think its readington twp. Between interstate 78 and rt s 22/28 near somerset community college

Have a friend who has spent a fortune on her horses since she was kid, now about to retire.

The better ones have safer fencing and stalls, no errant wire strands or debris, free of groundhog holes.

Many smaller farms in the area for boarding

Old 01-31-2018, 05:44 AM

@Kracer thank you!!! What a reply! Perfect locations and details. I appreciate it!!

Old 01-31-2018, 06:03 AM

480 posts, read 481,879 times
Quote:
@Kracer thank you!!! What a reply! Perfect locations and details. I appreciate it!!
Central Jersey tends to mean a lot of different things to different people so it would help to narrow down where you are exactly. The state animal of NJ is the horse and horses are a huge industry here. That said, there are many "pockets" of horse activity. As Kracer said, Hunterdon County, and to a lesser degree, Somerset County is one area, but Monmouth County has historically been a hotbed of horse activity as well by virtue of it's rolling hills and proximity to the state's biggest horse racing venues. Northern Burlington has it's share of horse farms as well. My girls want to start riding so we're going to begin with lessons, but if we eventually decide to get a horse of our own we've got enough room to board it here.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp_Yankee View Post
Central Jersey tends to mean a lot of different things to different people so it would help to narrow down where you are exactly. The state animal of NJ is the horse and horses are a huge industry here. That said, there are many "pockets" of horse activity. As Kracer said, Hunterdon County, and to a lesser degree, Somerset County is one area, but Monmouth County has historically been a hotbed of horse activity as well by virtue of it's rolling hills and proximity to the state's biggest horse racing venues. Northern Burlington has it's share of horse farms as well. My girls want to start riding so we're going to begin with lessons, but if we eventually decide to get a horse of our own we've got enough room to board it here.
Since I’m not familiar with NJ, it can be confusing, sorry! I should be working around New Brunswick, and live either in the Franklin Park area or Highland Park—in that circle around NB, maybe a little more up North just so NB is in the center. Does that help?

And does horse country and many boarding facilities means relatively reduced fares, or not at all?

Old 01-31-2018, 03:34 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,501,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
Google the words: horse boarding central nj
Rude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey