Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2018, 12:46 PM

12,194 posts, read 8,088,045 times

Advertisements

Hey guys!
I will be graduating with my MS in Microbiology and would love to do research. I am thinking about temporarily leaving Boston to gain some experience. My friend currently lives in a town next to Hackensack and says there are a LOT of jobs for my field in North NJ (Bergen, Essex, Union, etc). Is this fact true?

Also, if I were to get a job.. what would be the best city/town to live in. Perferably cheap, near a lot of fun stuff... I do not really care about proximity/access to NYC because I hear Jersey City and Hoboken are arguably better. I would love more of a younger crowed as well.

And is jersey really as bad as people (Chiefly its bad wrap came from those from NY/LI when I was in College) tell us? (Factories, trashy people, etc) ... It does not seem that bad, quite the cheaper and arguably better option of NYC with a similar feeling of Massachusetts hence why I am interested (Yes, I feel more interested to work and live in NJ rather NYC). Hoboken seems a lot like Boston's back bay to downtown crossing neighborhood while Jersey City seems like Downtown Boston/South Bay area.

Any thoughts? Recommendations for young towns?

PS: I understand the taxes are very high in NJ, but the wages seem like something that will make up for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 01:49 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,506,306 times
I'm not sure exactly what kind of jobs you are looking for

But a lot of biotech companies are moving to Massachusetts for the tax breaks.

I would think Boston would have a better science job market than here

Old 02-08-2018, 01:52 PM

280 posts, read 340,417 times
NJ is not cheap. You need a job before you look at where to move. Why would you ask if NJ people are trashy on a forum for NJ? Obviously that's a stereotype. I suggest you edit your post or else you won't get very helpful responses.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:01 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,349,908 times
Your posts confuse me. Do you live in Boston as this thread indicates? You'd have us believe NY in this 11/23/2017 post but then claimed to have moved to Florida after the recession in this 1/14/2018
post.

What the heck?

Old 02-08-2018, 07:50 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,024,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Hey guys!
I will be graduating with my MS in Microbiology and would love to do research. I am thinking about temporarily leaving Boston to gain some experience. My friend currently lives in a town next to Hackensack and says there are a LOT of jobs for my field in North NJ (Bergen, Essex, Union, etc). Is this fact true?

Also, if I were to get a job.. what would be the best city/town to live in. Perferably cheap, near a lot of fun stuff... I do not really care about proximity/access to NYC because I hear Jersey City and Hoboken are arguably better. I would love more of a younger crowed as well.

And is jersey really as bad as people (Chiefly its bad wrap came from those from NY/LI when I was in College) tell us? (Factories, trashy people, etc) ... It does not seem that bad, quite the cheaper and arguably better option of NYC with a similar feeling of Massachusetts hence why I am interested (Yes, I feel more interested to work and live in NJ rather NYC). Hoboken seems a lot like Boston's back bay to downtown crossing neighborhood while Jersey City seems like Downtown Boston/South Bay area.

Any thoughts? Recommendations for young towns?

PS: I understand the taxes are very high in NJ, but the wages seem like something that will make up for it.
New Yorkers who s*it on NJ are just lame. No, it isn't factories and trashy people. I can't believe people would even logically think this, let alone spend their time telling others these lies. So predictable that NY (probably city) and LI people would say such things. They don't all, I know enough to know that, but I also know that many do, they even try the BS to my face sometimes.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:11 PM

7,057 posts, read 19,340,285 times
Irvington is where you want to be.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:05 AM

88,701 posts, read 85,065,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodelotus View Post
NJ is not cheap. You need a job before you look at where to move. Why would you ask if NJ people are trashy on a forum for NJ? Obviously that's a stereotype. I suggest you edit your post or else you won't get very helpful responses.
And all those "factories"...

OP, NJ has some of the wealthiest zip codes in the nation.

You may be graduating with a this in that, but remember this quote:

Strange as it may seem, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it.

- Stephen Vizinczey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey