Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 01:13 PM

2 posts, read 16,720 times

Advertisements

Dear All,

Can any one suggest me whether my India (Karnataka state) license is valid for applying New Jersey license.I'm basically from Bangalore and I have my IDP and also India DL. I have written my online exam and am thru' and the MVC person told your country license (DL) is not valid to issue you the NJ license . He took the directory and searched for the license format what i have with me and told i cannot see this format in this book. Told me to take test drive. Can anyone please suggest me on the same.Waiting for your reply

Regards
Krnsharath
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 01:30 PM

604 posts, read 2,913,608 times
When you move from state to state in the USA you must retake that states drivers exam. I see no difference when coming from another country. You must learn our driving rules.
E

Old 03-23-2008, 01:48 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,805,825 times
try here:
New Jersey New License Application Info - DMV.ORG

Old 03-23-2008, 01:50 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
I've been to India, and if you drive here in the States like people drive in India, you're going to lose your license the very first day....unless you get killed or kill someone else first.

You need to re-take all the exams. I once lived in NJ for about a year and I had to re-take all the tests. Even though I had a license from NY, just across the river.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:15 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,601,036 times
You can apply for an International License in your country before coming here. That will buy you some time while you study our laws before you have to take the test. There's actual a link showing up in the advertisments within this thread : )

Old 03-23-2008, 08:09 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,364,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I've been to India, and if you drive here in the States like people drive in India, you're going to lose your license the very first day....unless you get killed or kill someone else first.

You need to re-take all the exams. I once lived in NJ for about a year and I had to re-take all the tests. Even though I had a license from NY, just across the river.
You used to have to retake the written test only from NY to NJ. That is no longer so. Now, you just need the proper idenification.
Where I live now I just had to turn in NJ licence, take eye test, and show proper ID and residency status.

Diane G

Old 03-24-2008, 05:17 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
You used to have to retake the written test only from NY to NJ. That is no longer so. Now, you just need the proper idenification.
Where I live now I just had to turn in NJ licence, take eye test, and show proper ID and residency status.

Diane G
Then they changed for those coming from other states.

I don't think this applies to someone with a license valid in India.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:07 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,585,284 times
I came from FL and just had to prove that I am who I say I am 999999999999999999 times but no test.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:50 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,753,371 times
When my father in law moved back to NJ from out of the country he had to retake both the written and driving exams. They said because he did not have a license in NJ for over 10 years. So I would assume that applies even more so for someone who has never lived here before.

Ottomobeale, those 6 points will get ya every time!!!! LOL

NJ now has some of the most strict rules on who gets a license. Regardless of your ability to drive. Its almost as good a form of ID as your passport. I dont think there is any other state that uses as many security measures as we do on our licenses. Ever since the 9-11 hijackers all had fake NJ licenses.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:46 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,364,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Then they changed for those coming from other states.

I don't think this applies to someone with a license valid in India.
No, Most likely not. I would assume they would also need to show residency.

Driving Privileges for Non-Citizens
You are eligible for a New Jersey license if you harbor temporary visa status and fit into one of the following categories:

A treaty trader.
A student or member of the student's immediate family.
A temporary worker, accompanying your spouse and children.
A foreign information representative.
An exchange visitor.
An intra-company transfer, accompanying your spouse and minor children.
A person with temporary protection from deportation.
A Canadian with temporary residence.
A religious minister or spouse of a minister.
Parents of U.S. citizens.
An international athlete or a member of an entertainment group.
Participating in a reciprocal exchange program.
Students and their families with an (F) visa must show INS Form I-20, student identification cards, or certification on school letterhead indicating status and their I-94 passport.
You may use your foreign driver license if you have an International Driver's Permit issued by your country of origin, or if your country is a member of the United Nations Convention on Road Traffic and your license is translated into English by a consulate or an MVC approved translator.
If you are under 18 years old, you are subject to Graduated Driver Licensing requirements.
How to Apply
To obtain a New Jersey driver license, you must pass the state's Six Point ID Verification program. This program assigns point totals to various forms of identification. To pass, you need to provide six-points-worth of identification, which includes primary and secondary forms of identification and proof of residence.

In addition, you must also provide proof of presence, as issued by the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS), and proof of a valid foreign driver's license. If you don't have proof, you must start from the beginning of New Jersey's Graduated Driver Licensing program.

If your identification clears, you'll be given a permit, which, in essence, is your ticket to apply for a license. Visit any MVC office with this permit to take a vision test, knowledge test, and, depending on your situation, a road test.

You do not have to surrender your foreign driver's license upon receiving a New Jersey driver's license.

Diane G
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey