Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Bridgewater: ranches, cape cods, solid starter homes, best Realtors, commission

Old 03-25-2008, 12:36 PM

332 posts, read 991,177 times

Advertisements

I am looking at single family homes in the Bridgewater area between $270,000-300,000. I know that there is not much in that range, but a search of GSMLS yields five or six decent ranches/cape cods. My fiancee and I are looking for someone who is willing to work with us as first time buyers who want a decent home in a decent area but can't afford a half million dollar home. We want a good solid starter home that we can put sweat equity into for an eventual (8-10 years from now) return on our investment. We're looking for someone who will not balk at the fact that we only will be able to put down about 5%, we will be using Freddie Mac, and that though we know Bridgewater is an expensive area that we're only interested in what we can afford.

Forgive me if this seems a bit rude, but I'm speaking in light of the experience we had with another realtor in another area. She continually steered us toward homes we could not afford, constantly nitpicked our decision to go through FHA/Freddie Mac and tried to get us to use her in-house mortgage people, and only did what we asked (obtain plot plans, seller's disclosures, past utility bills, etc...) when badgered repeatedly-if we could get her on the phone at all. We eventually lost out on the house in that area anyway and just decided to cut ties with her altogether. So please, if there's anyone out there willing to help a young couple find their first home despite the fact that they're not going to make a million dollar commission, please PM me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 12:52 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,668,993 times
In this market where the vast majority of Realtors have quit and gone back to their previous pre-Real Estate jobs, it should not be too hard to find the survivors. These survivors are the ones who been around forever and live off of their past referrals. They are usually the best Realtors. The fly by nighters and the part timers are all gone now.

Still, these survivors are digging in to their savings too. So they are going to be willing to bend over backwards to help you. You might be their only client this month so they will spend all the time with you that you need. These better Realtors are usually more patient with first time buyers also.

I am sure you will get many Realtors names offered to you in the comming posts by those who used them and trusted them.

As for Bridgewater. I lived in Bound Brook for a very long time so I know the area. There are some areas nearby that should be cheaper then Bridgewater.

Much luck to you. If your Realtor dont bend over backwards for you then just remember there are many more who will. They are real hungry right now and you might well be the only home buyer from Bridgewater to the Mississippi River. You (a buyer) are indeed a rare and sought after commodity.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:14 PM

332 posts, read 991,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
In this market where the vast majority of Realtors have quit and gone back to their previous pre-Real Estate jobs, it should not be too hard to find the survivors. These survivors are the ones who been around forever and live off of their past referrals. They are usually the best Realtors. The fly by nighters and the part timers are all gone now.
I'm glad to hear that! I'm guessing that these are the folks who really love their jobs anyway-not just the big fat commission that comes from selling an $800,000 house.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:59 PM

87 posts, read 388,408 times
I just bought a condo in Bridgewater in that range it is a 3 bedroom, very top shape, I know the community that I bought it has another unit very similar style. I was in the same situation as you, relativily young and looking with my fiancee, send me a message one on one and ill talk to my real estate agent she was good. I'll explain to you more details of what i saw and didnt see in bridgewater for that price range.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:53 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,099,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deere110 View Post
I'm glad to hear that! I'm guessing that these are the folks who really love their jobs anyway-not just the big fat commission that comes from selling an $800,000 house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Could not agree more. That is usually how the market works. It gets hot and there are an influx of agents and when the market gets sour almost all of them leave. Unfortunately real estate is not taken very seriously as a profession for this matter alone. Only the good will survive.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:43 PM

89 posts, read 444,900 times
Curious how this all worked out for you, since my wife and I are in the some exact boat and lookig at the same exact area...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey