Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2018, 09:27 PM

18 posts, read 25,060 times

Advertisements

We are most likely moving to Howell and I am stressed about the schools. I have a child who will be in prek and one in first grade. My son who will be entering first did. It have a great year here in public school in ny. I just feel even being in an integrated classroom setting he did not get as much attention as he should have as he excelled in prek which was at a different school.
Does anyone have any info about the elementary schools in Howell. I believe we would be zoned or whatever for Griebling. I’ve looked up ratings but I do not put much faith in those.
What abt other options like affordable private/Christian schools. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 05:23 PM

How come everyone hates this question

Old 03-29-2018, 07:04 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatee888 View Post
I don't think anyone hates this question. I just think it's a very specific question that no one has an answer to.

My general philosophy on public schools in NJ is this...just do your best to find a school system that seems good enough. Try your best using the data and ratings that are out there

Then have a good attitude, take a deep breath and dive in. I can't stress enough that a parent's attitude towards school in general makes all the difference. The key is to be relaxed and give things time. You will learn what stuff to let go and what stuff matters and that one of the most important things is if your child is happy going to school every day.

It will probably work out FINE

If it doesn't, you can regroup later and look for alternatives, work with the school itself, etc

Old 03-29-2018, 07:10 AM

280 posts, read 339,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatee888 View Post
You're talking about pre-k and 1st grade. NJ schools are great. They're going to be fine. Your parenting is the most important thing so stop stressing and keep doing a good job.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:44 PM

857 posts, read 835,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodelotus View Post
You're talking about pre-k and 1st grade. NJ schools are great. They're going to be fine. Your parenting is the most important thing so stop stressing and keep doing a good job.
In another post you asked about Holmdel. The school ratings in Howell are not as high as Holmdel but they still rate above average which is pretty good being that NJ is among the highest rated states for education.

The post quoted above is what really matters. Enjoy your new home and your kids and don’t get too upset if someone makes fun of your grammar.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:27 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
I am always amused when someone talks about moving to a nice town like Howell or other, similar NJ towns but starts tearing at their hair worrying about the schools. How bad could they be? REALLY?

I have a friend who grew up in Newark. Welfare mom, but one who volunteered at the school as an aide and got her kids into every program that was available. Six kids grew up to get college degrees, and only one fell by the wayside for a while.

Anyway, she moved to Howell when her kids were in elementary school because a safe, non-ghetto area with decent schools was important to her. Her son has dropped out of college and is sort of aimlessly trying to figure out what to do with his life, and her daughter is a 4.0 student at Rutgers.

In the end, all things considered, the SCHOOLS are not going to make much of a difference as long as they are in that "good enough" range. It depends upon the individual kids and their parents.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:08 AM

Thank you for these posts. I think I will follow this advice. We will go into the new school system with a good attitude and take it day by day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey