Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 10:27 AM

222 posts, read 780,688 times

Advertisements

Hello, everybody..
Yes, we want to buy a house and already started looking. But the problem is that I am not sure that we are doing the right thing.
We all know that NJ is great place to raise kids..great schools, backyard, better life style etc. Well, you are aware of those things and why we are moving there..
But every time I talk to my working mom friends from suburbs, I come home depressed and still thinking if we are doing the right thing moving to NJ.
They all tell me that I will be misarable. I need to mention that I am avoiding to have a nanny. Kids will go to day care. So I will never see them;we (parents) will be always rushing to try to make it on the train / bus so we pick them up on time. The real problem will come when they are in school and we will need to help with homework, activities etc - i am not aware of everything at this point.
We live in Brooklyn now so there are plenty playgrounds where always a lot of kids. In NJ, there are no places like that (tell me if I am wrong). I mean there are playgrounds, but not many kids there. I will need to arrange the play date.
We live in Brooklyn now. My mom lives close. We do not ask her to help with kids, but sometimes we use her. In NJ, we will have nobody.
I will not be staying home mom because of different reasons.
So saying all that, I am still not sure if I am doing the right thing. I know that we will adjust somehow, but I do not want to suffer..
Sorry, but I thought to share this..maybe there are more people in my shoes
Cheers,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 10:52 AM

9,384 posts, read 20,868,746 times
That's part of the reason we moved. We saw long term the ramifications of not being able to financially afford having a stay at home parent, so we bolted. We were both working 5 days a week, not being able to see our infant children, except for at home a few hours during the evening. If you have children, the least you owe to them is to be able to raise them, instead of having a day care facility do it (I know, many have varying opinions on this subject), so we made the decision to go west. It was painstaking, but looking back now, logically, it was the right decision.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:52 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,936,361 times
We are living here with our 2 year old, and I'm not miserable . My daughter is thriving in her daycare, we love the woman who cares for her while we work, and we are doing fine with the arrangement. Right now, I do work outside the home, but will be working from home once I have our second child in June. If my job paid well enough, I would bring my second child to the same daycare provider and would continue to work outside of the home. And we have minimal assistance from family members as well. We're very happy with our situation and I don't think it's impossible to be so.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:01 PM

Very similar situation to mine. One kid is 16 months old and another is coming in July / August. We will send both to day care - I know it is very expensive...probably more expensive then having a nanny, but that is my choice for now. I cannot work from home; plus even if I can, I do not believe in effective work while kids are running around
i would love to have someone who can pick them up from day care and stay a couple of hours with them while we will come home. I heard that in suburbs it is very difficult to find a person who will do it.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:04 PM

5,821 posts, read 12,660,362 times
My wife has been working for over 25 years and we raised 4 fine children(I hope). You don't have to hold their hands 24/7. You'll be fine.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:04 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,894,676 times
This is tough. We live in NJ and our family IS near by and we DO use them and they use us. We help out each other ALL THE TIME. By moving away from Brooklyn you're moving from somewhere expensive with family help to somewhere expensive without help. If our family were not here we would not be here.

Quote:
I will not be staying home mom because of different reasons.
Why are you not staying at home... money or what?

Old 03-17-2008, 12:05 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,805,517 times
You have to look at your sanity. Most of my friends are working mothers. The children are cared for either by a nanny or they go to daycare; and all are very happy.

I can tell you I would go mad if I were a SAHM. I admire the women that do it; it is the hardest job you can have. I love working, and am a better mother for it. My kids went to daycare and absolutely loved it. My daughter couldn't wait to go in every day she had so much fun.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:13 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,936,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpan78 View Post
plus even if I can, I do not believe in effective work while kids are running around
My work will be a daycare so it's imperrative to have kids running around

Old 03-17-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
This is tough. We live in NJ and our family IS near by and we DO use them and they use us. We help out each other ALL THE TIME. By moving away from Brooklyn you're moving from somewhere expensive with family help to somewhere expensive without help. If our family were not here we would not be here.

Why are you not staying at home... money or what?
Well, different reasons. The first one is that I am not that kind of person that will stay home with kids the whole day. I love kids, but I need to do smth for myself and the world - you can laugh. I got an education and I am better of working and using my brain somewhere else. For me it is not quantity but quality of time spending with kids.
Second, that's the way I was raised. I need to rely only on myself. I have a great husband, but I do not believe in tales " that man is so great that he will never leave you". Plus, looks how many accidents are around. No, I have to work.
Then., money..yes..with one income we will not be abel to live in NJ.
Another thing is that my son loved the day care he gows right now.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:49 PM

173 posts, read 819,871 times
why are you moving? You seem pretty happy where you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey