Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 03:23 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,609,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
seagull - especially when they swoop down and steal someone's lunch on the beach - makes me laugh every time.
Seagulls at the beach? I thought they all moved to the Walmart shopping center in Mt. Olive or the Weis over in Mansfield : )))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judithexit View Post
OK , mine is American Goldfinch (new Jersey State Bird) . There so pretty !
I like them as well - love watching them play ... they do this fly then pretend they have no wings and fall a bit then fly back up again... while making a funny chirping noise.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:26 PM

342 posts, read 1,793,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
We have tons of the eastern bluebirds hanging out in our yard. They look similiar to the barn swallow but with blue head and wings. I like the swallows as well - I call them Eddie Munster Birds : )) They like to fly down and take turns getting a drink out of the pool after we are done swimming. We also get red winged blackbirds - also very pretty.
Our Tree Swallows have just returned from their migration. We have 4 BlueBird boxes on our property. They are usually filled with my 1 Bluebird couple and the rest with Tree Swallows. The are quite the acrobats. When I am on the lawn tractor mowing the grass, the dive in front of it at a rate of knots, going for the insects I stir up. They like to eat Golf Doc's favorite, mosquitos! Again, do not get me started talking birds. I am a little bird crazy.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hc7612 View Post
Our Tree Swallows have just returned from their migration. We have 4 BlueBird boxes on our property. They are usually filled with my 1 Bluebird couple and the rest with Tree Swallows. The are quite the acrobats. When I am on the lawn tractor mowing the grass, the dive in front of it at a rate of knots, going for the insects I stir up. They like to eat Golf Doc's favorite, mosquitos! Again, do not get me started talking birds. I am a little bird crazy.
LOL..too funny about the swallows and the mower thing. I came from a townhouse...never mowed a lawn before in my life! Of course I bought a JD : ) I was mowing and these crazy birds came out of nowhere and attacked me...I jumped off the mower and ran in the house screaming! I had that movie in my head - "The Birds". It wasn't until the neighbor told me that they are actually going after the bugs before I was able to mow again..lol ; )

Old 03-26-2008, 03:43 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
You're all missing the most common bird in NJ- the one that you see when you cut someone off........

Old 03-26-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
You're all missing the most common bird in NJ- the one that you see when you cut someone off........
I guess you saw plenty of them while you were here on Monday then : )

Old 03-26-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hc7612 View Post
4 boxes wouldn't be enough on my property! We have hundreds of swallows that come over from the farms to take a dip in the pool. My cats love them as well... I think they actually tease my cats...play with them : ) I usually have about 50 hanging out on my back gutter. We also get Blue Herons (sp?). They head for the pond but as soon as they realize we have no fish for them, they fly over to my neighbor's pond and eat all his gold fish! he ahd about 80 before the winter hit and now he is down to 12. He calls the heron "that Terradactal (sp?)"

Old 03-26-2008, 04:38 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,756,664 times
I dont know about my favorite but I can tell you the ones I EFFING HATE!!!!!! All the Canadian Geese that invade the parks and parking lots and crap all over the damn place. We took my then 2 year old nephew to the park near me last year and within 10 minutes of playing int he grass we was covered in goose SH**. They were so out of control at my office that they would routinely try to attack and chase people who would get to close to their nests along the pathway to the parking lot. They would walk along in the driveway without a care in the world holding up traffic just to get out of the parking lot. One of my coworkers was having an especially rough day and he hit one of the geese. Well , he nudged it with his bumper and it waddled away out of the way. Someone ratted him out and he got hit with a $2000 fine for endangering a protected species or some such crap. It got thrown out by the judge but still. WTF!!! I want to carry my shotgun around with me and play "Duck Hunter" everytime i see them!!!!

Old 03-26-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
I dont know about my favorite but I can tell you the ones I EFFING HATE!!!!!! All the Canadian Geese that invade the parks and parking lots and crap all over the damn place. We took my then 2 year old nephew to the park near me last year and within 10 minutes of playing int he grass we was covered in goose SH**. They were so out of control at my office that they would routinely try to attack and chase people who would get to close to their nests along the pathway to the parking lot. They would walk along in the driveway without a care in the world holding up traffic just to get out of the parking lot. One of my coworkers was having an especially rough day and he hit one of the geese. Well , he nudged it with his bumper and it waddled away out of the way. Someone ratted him out and he got hit with a $2000 fine for endangering a protected species or some such crap. It got thrown out by the judge but still. WTF!!! I want to carry my shotgun around with me and play "Duck Hunter" everytime i see them!!!!
well yes they are pesky : ) They are the bird equivalent to our illegal immigrant issues : ) They don't bother me much as they come, hang out in the pond and then head out. If given space, they aren't too bad. I just mow over the poop and consider it "free fertilizer".

Old 03-26-2008, 05:01 PM

342 posts, read 1,793,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
They were trying to attack and chase people? Now, I would pay to watch that! That is my kind of entertainment. They do leave a rather large mess behind. In fact, one of the properties we were just looking at, new construction, had massive piles of ***** in the yard. I ask my realtor if someone was letting their dog do their business. He said, that is from the geese. I do not know what the geese were eating, but my gosh, it was huge and everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey