Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2008, 01:27 PM

2 posts, read 3,016 times

Advertisements

I am a student, and will be moving to NJ from out of state to finish my education. I will be going to hospitals in overlook & morristown and need to find something to rent.

My problem of course is that I don't know enough about the area at all (as I've never lived anywhere on the east cost). I'd appreciate it if someone would help me figure out some generalities of traffic flow, and how this would effect commute time depending on where I live.

Example: Is it better to live east or West of where you have to commute to?

Also since I have to go to two different hospitals, ideally I would want to try to find somewhere close to both of them. However, the middle area (summit, catham, madison) seems to have high property values making it unlikely I'd be able to rent there. I've used google maps to find surrounding areas and then used those names for searches but often don't find much or its pricey. I really don't need anything that nice as I'm single and probably won't even get to spend that much time "at home", but I'm looking for something affordable that also has a short commute. I feel like I won't make any headway on this until I get a better idea of what areas I should be looking at and how physical distance relates to commute time for the region.

Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 01:32 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
You're in a pickle! Anything mid way between Summit & Morristown that is decent is going to cost and arm and a leg.

I'm guessing neither hospitals have living quarters for students, perhaps they have listings for house/apt sharing

Old 04-16-2008, 01:38 PM

619 posts, read 2,200,117 times
What type of rent/space were you looking for?

All three towns you mention would be fine, location-wise. Overlook Hospital is actually in Summit. Madison is a college-town, so there are some affordable rentals - you just have to fight for them with a bunch of renters. Chatham is pretty suburban and probably the least likely location to find something. A friend of mine had a great place in Morristown, right on the square (good social life) but it was pricey.

Again, need to know more about your $$$ requirements - you might also consider Basking Ridge & Bedminster.

All these towns are very pricey to purchase in, but you should be able to find some rentals to afford.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:50 PM

253 posts, read 1,267,118 times
You'll be commuting via 287 or 24 I guess to go between Morristown Memorial and Overlook hospital (p.s. Good jobs!!) I love those hospitals ....Anyway, you may just be better off staying closer to Overlook Hospital, Maybe Springfield or Millburn. You'll still be right at 24 which will take you both hospitals and I've seen quite a few rental properties in both areas. Good luck.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:08 PM

Very good point - Millburn and Springfield would be good places to look. I'd personally lean towards Millburn.

Depending on when you're going to/coming from work, 287 & 24 can be nightmarish. Some of the towns you first mentioned have plenty of "back roads" you can take to avoid that traffic.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,016 times
Sorry guess I have to clarify a bit....

I am still doing clinicals for medschool so am living off of student loans, so money is quite an issue. From what I have seen, I do not think some of those locations are in my budget, so I am looking for suggestions of cheaper places I can reasonably commute from. I am currently searching some of the places suggested, ty. Although my expectations are probably part of the problem, since living anywhere seems higher than I had thought. What is reasonable/normal for apartments in jersey (again nothing fancy, just something servicable)?

Old 04-16-2008, 02:24 PM

I figured you were a poor med student of sorts...

I guess I am just trying to figure out if you wanted to spend $350 a month or $1200 a month. Truly you can find places for both those amounts but you're going to have to be realistic about your commute probably. And also, how particular are you about the place you live in terms of crime, etc? Do you need to live by yourself or would you be open to renting a room? You might want to check posting boards at Drew, Fairleigh Dickinson, etc. to see if any college kids need an extra roomie.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JED1981 View Post
Sorry guess I have to clarify a bit....

I am still doing clinicals for medschool so am living off of student loans, so money is quite an issue. From what I have seen, I do not think some of those locations are in my budget, so I am looking for suggestions of cheaper places I can reasonably commute from. I am currently searching some of the places suggested, ty. Although my expectations are probably part of the problem, since living anywhere seems higher than I had thought. What is reasonable/normal for apartments in jersey (again nothing fancy, just something servicable)?
Whew...for a 1 bedroom anywhere from $800 up
I have 1 son who lives in jefferson paying $1000
Another living in Morristown paying $1800.00 you can find cheaper in Morristown but not much below $1000.00

Morrris County on avarage is not cheap

Old 04-16-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mczabe View Post
I figured you were a poor med student of sorts...

I guess I am just trying to figure out if you wanted to spend $350 a month or $1200 a month. Truly you can find places for both those amounts but you're going to have to be realistic about your commute probably. And also, how particular are you about the place you live in terms of crime, etc? Do you need to live by yourself or would you be open to renting a room? You might want to check posting boards at Drew, Fairleigh Dickinson, etc. to see if any college kids need an extra roomie.

That may be your best bet..also check with both hospitals to see if they have an apt sharing list

Old 04-16-2008, 06:59 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,898,927 times
I think NJKates suggestion is a good one. You could also check with Farleigh Dickenson University to see if they have any room for rent postings. They are located in that area and may have something.

As far as apartments you could check Springfield. It will be cheaper than Millburn. You might also check South Orange. Some of the older buildings have efficiencies that rent for about $900 per month if there is anything available. South Orange is about a 25 minute drive to both hospitals and you would be travelling opposite traffic and there are a few alternate roads on days when traffic might be an issue. Actually Seton Hall University is in South Orange and you might check with them for rooms to rent. My mom's house was in South Orange and for a couple of years she rented rooms to a Med student who went to UMDNJ in Newark who got her listing from Seton Hall. It was a number of years ago so I don't know if they still have listings like that.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey