Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 07:59 AM
AKF AKF started this thread

178 posts, read 708,703 times

Advertisements

I am trying to find a place in NJ to relocate to. I have received many negative comments and I am feeling rather discouraged.

My husband will be working in the Norther NJ area and I can see that there are no reasonably priced places in NJ that are not crime infested. I was looking into Central NJ as a recourse but now that is getting confusing as well.

Can ANYONE recommend any areas of Northern NJ or Central NJ that might allow a young family to rent a place for under $1000?? I would need a minimum of a 2 bedroom apt. I would really like to be in an area that is relatively safe and diverse. I would LOVE to be in an area that is close to recreation, museums, arts, etc...but realize that may not be possible and I am willing to forgo that. Having said that, is there ANYONE who could guide me as to a city/town/booneyland in NJ that I could check into?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 08:49 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
in an area with good schools and nice, 1000??? a month with all due respect that isnt happening...and north jersey is very expensive....

Old 02-12-2007, 08:56 AM

Default Please read through my message

If you see my post, I mentioned any part of North or Central NJ. School is not an issue for me, it's more the safety factor.

thanks

Old 02-12-2007, 09:33 AM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
466 posts, read 2,200,289 times
Thumbs up Hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKF View Post
If you see my post, I mentioned any part of North or Central NJ. School is not an issue for me, it's more the safety factor.

thanks
NNJ is expensive especially Morris County and very safe you can go to work and forget to lock your door yet come back with everything still intact. If you are looking for an apartment check this site out - it tells you which ones to avoid and what else to expect.

www.apartmentratings.com/rate/NJ.html

With museums and stuff if you drive, it should not be a problem or you can easily and conveniently catch the Lakeland bus to NYC.

Hit me up with any more ?'s

Old 02-12-2007, 10:29 AM

562 posts, read 2,615,569 times
try Elizabeth.. 2 bedrooms are renting between 1000 - 1200.. look in elmora or North Elizabeth sections.. near everything.. shops, schools, transportation, etc..

Old 02-12-2007, 10:40 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKF View Post
I am trying to find a place in NJ to relocate to. I have received many negative comments and I am feeling rather discouraged.

My husband will be working in the Norther NJ area and I can see that there are no reasonably priced places in NJ that are not crime infested. I was looking into Central NJ as a recourse but now that is getting confusing as well.

Can ANYONE recommend any areas of Northern NJ or Central NJ that might allow a young family to rent a place for under $1000?? I would need a minimum of a 2 bedroom apt. I would really like to be in an area that is relatively safe and diverse. I would LOVE to be in an area that is close to recreation, museums, arts, etc...but realize that may not be possible and I am willing to forgo that. Having said that, is there ANYONE who could guide me as to a city/town/booneyland in NJ that I could check into?

Thanks!
If you have kids are they school age? What does diverse mean for you? Some of the older areas of North NJ might have a 2 br for 1300/1400 but you really have to go and look around. All those areas are not crime ridden. Under 1000 though (for a 2br) you could only find that in a crap area if at all.
Rent for under 1,000 for a young family? Negative comments are not the problem as this is an unusual question for NJ. You will not have an easy time. You really should visit NJ- I am assuming you are not from as you seem surprised that things cost here. How long do you plan to stay in the area?

Old 02-12-2007, 04:43 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times
Where exactly in northern NJ will your husband be working, and how far is he willing to commute?

Old 02-13-2007, 06:43 AM

24 posts, read 103,918 times
Edison in middlesex county is a good choise. There are several towns around there which are very safe and reasonable with good schools and are very commuter friendly. Hope this helps.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:53 AM

244 posts, read 1,050,728 times
Matawan/Aberdeen in Central Nj (Monmouth County) had rentals for under 1000 with a decent school district. It might meet your criteria.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:07 AM

thank you i will try to research the areas you guys recommended. again, i am thankful for some "positive" feedback FINALLY! for the last couple of days i had pretty much given up hope on NJ.

thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey