Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 10:28 PM

3 posts, read 2,326 times

Advertisements

We are a couple currently in Newport Beach, CA looking to move to The Waterfront area in Jersey City. One of us will work in Basking Ridge. Realistically, how bad is that daily commute by car? Can it be done?

We want to live in an urban city, preferably in a newer high rise building in a very walkable neighborhood (amenities are within walking distance). We like going to bars and clubs on weekends. Which city closest to Basking Ridge offers these?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 09:48 AM

280 posts, read 339,268 times
It's not terrible. I wouldn't call it ideal by any means but it is doable. New Brunswick, Somerville, Morristown, Summit, Westfield are other closer options that come to mind though I wouldn't call them "urban cities" except maybe New Brunswick.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:25 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,827 times
Waterfront area in Jersey City to Basking Ridge commute

It is terrible commute and terrible idea. First off, mass transit? It'll take you at least 2 hrs each way from JC to get to Basking Ridge. You'd need to get to Hoboken then take the train. But once you get off the train at Basking Ridge, how are you going to get to the office? Need a car so you'll need a car there or take uber/taxi every day.

Driving? Even worse, depending on which route you end up taking but the bridges across Newark/Jersey City are undergoing a lot of work so there is always traffic. Not to mention, you'll need to get through traffic in JC itself where its getting to be a lot more rush hour with lot of buses and cars dropping off passengers in downtown area more and more.

Alternative location
Urban city environment with your description is not possible unless you live near Manhattan. That said out of all the towns that's waterfront near NYC, Hoboken is probably the best since you can take the train directly from Hoboken to Basking Ridge...which would be 1.5h just for train. And Hoboken does have some hi-rise.

Plenty of locations that's not urban city have other things you meet except hi-rise. Morristown for example has a nice walkable downtown, bars, clubs, etc. but still small compared to say JC. No real hi-rise there also.

Summary
If someone tells you doing commute everyday from waterfront area by NJ/Manhattan to Basking Ridge is doable. They are lying or they have serious tolerance for pain. Only time this would be fine is if your partner has flextime and can avoid rush hour. Even then do google maps and see how long driving takes without any traffic...

Old 06-04-2018, 11:48 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,323,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMom8 View Post
We are a couple currently in Newport Beach, CA looking to move to The Waterfront area in Jersey City. One of us will work in Basking Ridge. Realistically, how bad is that daily commute by car? Can it be done?

We want to live in an urban city, preferably in a newer high rise building in a very walkable neighborhood (amenities are within walking distance). We like going to bars and clubs on weekends. Which city closest to Basking Ridge offers these?

Thank you!
Where will the other part of your couple be working? If only one will be working, then check out Morristown. It will offer much of what you want. You CAN commute from Newport to Basking Ridge by car. It's doable, but I suspect it will over an hour with traffic. And some days with a car accident will be much longer.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:53 AM

551 posts, read 1,188,447 times
This is going to be a nightmare for one of you, why JC waterfront?

even Montclair might make it more tolerable commute

Old 06-04-2018, 12:19 PM

280 posts, read 339,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
Waterfront area in Jersey City to Basking Ridge commute

It is terrible commute and terrible idea. First off, mass transit? It'll take you at least 2 hrs each way from JC to get to Basking Ridge. You'd need to get to Hoboken then take the train. But once you get off the train at Basking Ridge, how are you going to get to the office? Need a car so you'll need a car there or take uber/taxi every day.

Driving? Even worse, depending on which route you end up taking but the bridges across Newark/Jersey City are undergoing a lot of work so there is always traffic. Not to mention, you'll need to get through traffic in JC itself where its getting to be a lot more rush hour with lot of buses and cars dropping off passengers in downtown area more and more.

Alternative location
Urban city environment with your description is not possible unless you live near Manhattan. That said out of all the towns that's waterfront near NYC, Hoboken is probably the best since you can take the train directly from Hoboken to Basking Ridge...which would be 1.5h just for train. And Hoboken does have some hi-rise.

Plenty of locations that's not urban city have other things you meet except hi-rise. Morristown for example has a nice walkable downtown, bars, clubs, etc. but still small compared to say JC. No real hi-rise there also.

Summary
If someone tells you doing commute everyday from waterfront area by NJ/Manhattan to Basking Ridge is doable. They are lying or they have serious tolerance for pain. Only time this would be fine is if your partner has flextime and can avoid rush hour. Even then do google maps and see how long driving takes without any traffic...
The OP never said anything about using mass transit so I don't know why you're talking so much about it. Driving is even worse? It's 45 minutes. Many people drive 45-1hr when they want to live near NYC. I did it myself that's where my comment came from. Not sure if you have actual experience living in JC/Hoboken and commuting west but you sound like a fear monger. If they want to live in JC waterfront the commute is certainly doable. Even more so if they can leave around 7am and 3-330pm and if they can work from home once or twice a week. Sometimes the experience is worth the drive for a year or two until they either find a new job or relocate a bit west.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:38 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodelotus View Post
The OP never said anything about using mass transit so I don't know why you're talking so much about it. Driving is even worse? It's 45 minutes. Many people drive 45-1hr when they want to live near NYC. I did it myself that's where my comment came from. Not sure if you have actual experience living in JC/Hoboken and commuting west but you sound like a fear monger. If they want to live in JC waterfront the commute is certainly doable. Even more so if they can leave around 7am and 3-330pm and if they can work from home once or twice a week. Sometimes the experience is worth the drive for a year or two until they either find a new job or relocate a bit west.

I lived in JC and still do. I have done a month of commute from Hoboken to Parsippany. Not related since its different part of NJ but I've also done Edgewater to Parsippany for 4 years.

I am not fear mongering, I am stating what's real right now. Do you live in JC/Hoboken area right now? Have you seen the condition of bridges and Pulanski's highway? Have you experienced current rush hour traffic in downtown JC?

This is current traffic from Newport to Basking ridge and there is absolutely no traffic right now. Its 45m without any traffic in great weather condition. You are telling me during rush hours that you can make it from downtown JC to Basking ridge in 45-60m? Its 43-46m right now in perfect condition.

https://imgur.com/a/chxW0D5

Old 06-05-2018, 04:03 AM

862 posts, read 976,409 times
I would check out Morristown, it is close to Basking Ridge and it has a small city feel. Let's say you leave BR at 5pm that may be close to a 90 minute drive to JC, add in accidents or snow longer.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:31 AM

3 posts, read 2,326 times
Thank you for all the responses and advice. We will be evaluating what is most important to us and what we’re willing to trade off.

I saw some carpool ads but they were a couple of years old. Wonder if that is a viable option too.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:32 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,774,139 times
Also, if you ask in the future, post your work times. Leaving at 6am is a lot different than leaving at 9am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey