Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 07:49 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeptj2018 View Post
Good Morning All!

New to NJ and trying to get to the beach. Living near Princeton Junction. Looking for a clean safe beach for the family.

Also wanted to know about sea side. Safe enough around that area? Kind of want to explore the boardwalk. Thanks in advance!
You're talking about day trips, right?

If you just want a beach experience, Seven Presidents Park is nice. Has lots of parking, snack bar, bathrooms, feels nice and open.

Island Beach State Park is lovely too.

Both of these are just beach, no boardwalk obviously.

We tend to stick to those during the busy season and go to the boardwalk in the off seasons. The weekends before Memorial Day and after Labor Day are lovely on the boardwalk but we find them too crazy during the busy season
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 08:26 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Welcome to New Jersey, and especially PJ, where I also live!

By the way, you don't want to 'get to the beach'. Since you're in NJ now you want to 'go down the shore'!

Respect our culture! (just kidding)
Actually if you live in coastal NJ its "going to the beach". Only bennys say "down the shore".

Old 06-20-2018, 04:50 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Actually if you live in coastal NJ its "going to the beach". Only bennys say "down the shore".
Well, Princeton Junction is not coastal!

Old 06-20-2018, 05:15 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
195 towards the Shore Points(exit 7A) brings you into Belmar and from there you can got to Spring Lake and Sea Girt or up to Avon and Bradly Beach .Spring Lake and Sea Girt are all pedestrian boardwalks (no business's) Point Pleasant has Amusements and such along their boards with a decent beach.
I second Spring Lake. My family summered at the Warren Hotel. It was between the Essex and Sussex and another old waterfront hotel who's name escapes me.

Those were the days.

Old 06-20-2018, 05:41 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
So true! When I lived in Bergen county, I went down the shore. Now that I live in Monmouth, I go to the beach. I'm already down the shore.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:59 PM

716 posts, read 2,159,086 times
Growing up in Freehold, we would just say "go to the shore."

Speaking of which, I'm bringing the family up there next week for a visit with the grandparents, and we thought we might take a visit to the shore for a day. It's been a long, long time since I've been to all my old shore haunts, and I know they've been through a lot of changes...

To hop on to the original poster's thread (thanks friend!) my kids are 7 and 9. We'd like a nice day with the sand and the sun and the water, and some Skee Ball and boardwalk action, maybe a cup of fries, some soft serve... (On a weekday, for sure, so maybe the crowds won't be too huge, and there will be fewer riots.)

What's our best bet these days for all those things in one place with the least amount of hassle?

(I might settle for a little hassle, like if I still have to go all the way to the WindMill for a good hot dog or something.)

Old 06-20-2018, 03:28 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet* View Post
Growing up in Freehold, we would just say "go to the shore."

Speaking of which, I'm bringing the family up there next week for a visit with the grandparents, and we thought we might take a visit to the shore for a day. It's been a long, long time since I've been to all my old shore haunts, and I know they've been through a lot of changes...

To hop on to the original poster's thread (thanks friend!) my kids are 7 and 9. We'd like a nice day with the sand and the sun and the water, and some Skee Ball and boardwalk action, maybe a cup of fries, some soft serve... (On a weekday, for sure, so maybe the crowds won't be too huge, and there will be fewer riots.)

What's our best bet these days for all those things in one place with the least amount of hassle?

(I might settle for a little hassle, like if I still have to go all the way to the WindMill for a good hot dog or something.)
Probably Point Pleasant Beach if you want it all in one place and want a more family friendly place. Seaside Heights has it, too, but IMO has more of the bar scene and an older boardwalk crowd because they have rides geared towards older kids, teens, and adults. Wildwood has it all, but it may be too far south depending on where your family lives. Same with Ocean City.

Island Beach State Park would be nice for the beach, if you want to go to the boardwalk after. You could go right to Seaside or up a little further to Point. IBSP and Seaside Park have among the nicest beaches in the area IMO.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:05 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Well, we go down the shore. Once we're there, we go to the beach.

Last edited by Gerania; 06-20-2018 at 07:48 PM..

Old 06-20-2018, 08:23 PM

807 posts, read 1,033,531 times
Point Pleasant is probably the best for a family with kids. Nothing wrong with Seaside either, the boardwalk is huge and is fun to just walk around. It's safe, but has a younger crowd, nights bring out the teens and it can get "festive" but there are rarely problems. Yes, there was a riot there the other day, but it was because a few thousand people showed up for an event that didn't exist and people got pissed.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:55 AM

10,483 posts, read 7,005,412 times
If you're up for a little more of a drive Ocean City is the best for a family (really nice boardwalk and beaches geared toward a family environment). If you do go south some other great beaches are Wildwood and Cape May are very nice.

I'd put Point Pleasant as second (due to distance) but am just not a fan of the congestion, parking, and expensive monopoly the Jenks family has on the boardwalk.

Seaside is made for the bar scene and in my opinion alot of trashy people are there. Island State Park has a great beach and is close to Sea Side but you might need a 4wd truck to get on the beach?

I like Belmar and Spring lake, however for families just visiting for a day trip there isnt much else to do besides the beach. For a family I'd take them to Spring Lake over Belmar, as Belmar does have a good crowd (with families) but has more 20/30's something party crowd.

LBI is another contender and has the best beaches in the state but I'd save that trip after you get more experienced with the shore (It's an 18 mile long island, about half mile width on average) I'd have to write a blog on all the things to do there.

Last edited by DannyHobkins; 06-21-2018 at 10:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey