Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 04:26 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,687,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
OMG people are treating the Op like its a stupid question..

Ya think ???? What's a "fancy car" and maybe the person's job allows them a car allowance so many people "lease a car" which allows them a nicer car if they only drive a little. There is a multitude of reason's why people have nice cars and none of them are the OP's business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 04:29 PM

19,145 posts, read 25,364,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
On the contrary I think there are lots of poor people in NJ that drives fancy cars.
Then again, there are apparently lots of fairly-affluent people in NJ who aren't familiar with the basics of English grammar.

Old 11-20-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Haha, same here. I have 120K on my 2010 Toyota Corolla.

LOL, I agree. My Camry was a"fancy car" when I bought it but that was back in 2003 and I now have 237,000 miles on it so I doubt it's still fancy. The New one I am getting in February will be fancy . So does that count?

Old 11-20-2018, 08:48 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,735,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
Bitter soul? How you figure?
the phrase is almost exclusively used by people who are envious of others.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:42 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,231,871 times
I wish I had a fancy car. I'm stuck with the base Boxster.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:53 AM

18,480 posts, read 15,272,470 times
I drive a “fancy” car because I spent many years being frugal enough that now, a “fancy” car has absolutely no effect on my bottom line, and in the end, you cant take it with you. So now, I just buy what I like. I am only limited by my wife, who doesn’t like showy things. Unlike me, she is from old money, and she just likes to blend in with everybody else. She can literally afford any car she wants, but she insists on driving unassuming cars. Every time she gets a new car, I try to talk her into getting something nicer, but she refuses. Why do I try to talk her into into getting a nicer car? Because I get tired of looking like the jerk that drives around in a $115,000 Range Rover while “making my poor wife drive around in a GMC Acadia.” LOL. Even when I buy a car for myself, she has to approve. It cant look too showy. She completely nixed the 911 turbo I wanted to get, but luckily she thinks the Range Rover is understated and subtle enough that it doesn’t draw too much attention. Plus they have lower end models that are more common to see, and dont look that much different than mine. And I like it because of the elegant interior, which isn’t that common in SUVs.

I put the word “fancy” in quotes because it is a very relative term. What is “fancy” in Newark is not necessarily fancy in other places. My car is not “fancy” in the Hamptons. The streets are lined with them there and they are seen as “every day” cars. So maybe the OP should live in a place where there aren’t so many people that can afford high end cars. He has the vast majority of the country to choose from.

Lastly, your friend from California must live in like Bakersfield or something because I lived in CA for 4 years, and in Marin County, there are a lot of “fancy” cars on the road. Also, no shortage of them in LA, San Diego, OC, Santa Barbara, etc. Persnally, if I were forced to choose, I think the most superficial place in the country is the Miami area. Palm Beach too, but I feel like the people in Palm Beach look like they can afford their superficialities, while many in Miami cant and they choose a Ferrari over a place to live, but that is just my impression. Either way, they have NJ beat by a mile.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:56 AM

I have a rule , never buy a vehicle that costs more than my first home?

Old 11-21-2018, 07:23 AM

20,349 posts, read 19,950,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Where do they get their money from then?
Off the backs of the Proletariat.

Between my wife and I we have five vehicles to choose from (I'm serious) depending upon our whim, the weather, whatever.

It's great to be me

Old 11-21-2018, 07:25 AM

2,260 posts, read 1,140,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the phrase is almost exclusively used by people who are envious of others.
Not in my case.
People that try to keep up looks for other people is a real thing. Not sure why you would have a problem acknowledging it exists.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:14 AM

10,513 posts, read 7,037,263 times
I'd also point out you see different cars in regions of America. In New England you see a lot more Subaru's and AWD cars for the snow, tri-state area more luxury brands, the south is Chevy and Ford, the Midwest is Pickup trucks, California has a lot of Mustangs and exotics.

Last edited by DannyHobkins; 11-21-2018 at 08:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey