Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 05:28 PM

4 posts, read 3,094 times

Advertisements

Hi

I'm moving to Hackensack, NJ in January....leaving sunny SoCal.

I like to live near water and enjoy unique cafe/restaurant/park type cultures with easy access to New York City. Am single, and don't mind the odd late, crazy night.

Probably looking for a house rather than an apartment lifestyle and/or a development with a communal pool or club house.

Any suggestions that would be about a 30 minute commute into Hackensack?

Many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 06:31 PM

532 posts, read 1,465,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroCEO View Post
Hi

I'm moving to Hackensack, NJ in January....leaving sunny SoCal.

I like to live near water and enjoy unique cafe/restaurant/park type cultures with easy access to New York City. Am single, and don't mind the odd late, crazy night.

Probably looking for a house rather than an apartment lifestyle and/or a development with a communal pool or club house.

Any suggestions that would be about a 30 minute commute into Hackensack?

Many thanks

It's going to be tough.
Any place with restaurants near water is going to be Edgewater or Hudson county.
Coming from Southern California all of those areas are going to look like an open sewer pipe.
Just trying not to sugar coat it.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:35 PM

Thank you for the insights and ack of sugarcoating....lol

I'll do my best to find somewhere nice.

Have a great evening.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:38 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,828,140 times
Hackensack not the great town, it's cheap, for single is totally fine, but there are certainly restaurants, 2 big malls within 10 minutes of drive.

I lived there for 3 years and moved when i had kids because schools aren't that good.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:38 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,255,242 times
Take a look at the edgewater colony. It’s a small colony of houses on tiny properties with a clubhouse and low taxes. Most have great views and are quirky.
For a newer built townhome community look at Vela also in edgewater.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:35 PM

Default Thank you

Thank you BBNETWORKING and FOODYUM for the insights.

Have great days

Old 12-05-2018, 06:05 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,135 times
I don't know your budget or how long you are going to be here, but I would look into Manhattan. It would be apartment living obviously. But at least that would be an experience worth having versus NJ

With a car, the reverse commute back to Hackensack wouldn't be bad. I knew quite a few expats who lived near the Lincoln Tunnel and would drive to NJ every day. Their rationale was that they wanted to be in the city for the weekends during their time here

Good luck with your move!

Old 12-05-2018, 07:01 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
Montclair might be a good pick

Old 12-06-2018, 08:52 AM

Thank you Lammius and Bookspage

Old 12-06-2018, 10:40 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,754,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
I don't know your budget or how long you are going to be here, but I would look into Manhattan. It would be apartment living obviously. But at least that would be an experience worth having versus NJ

With a car, the reverse commute back to Hackensack wouldn't be bad. I knew quite a few expats who lived near the Lincoln Tunnel and would drive to NJ every day. Their rationale was that they wanted to be in the city for the weekends during their time here

Good luck with your move!
Bad advice. Do not do this unless you are okay paying substantially more in state and local income tax, and rent/mortgage than is necessary.

That said, we don’t know what your budget is, but Fort Lee might be a good option for you. You can drive down the hill to Edgewater for your waterfront areas. You can also go south from there into the Port Imperial area for more of the same. You are right by the GWB to go into the city whenever you want, and Jersey City and Hoboken are also short trips away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey