Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2019, 05:36 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,908,099 times

Advertisements

So I've been taking the NJT bus on and off for a few months now and I notice that about 70% of the bus drivers that I've encountered seem visibly disgruntled and angry. I've been taking different bus lines at different times of day so I get exposed to numerous different drivers.

Obviously, I know that being a bus driver is not quite the best job in the world and I'm sure they have to deal with some idiot people every now and then; but is there even more to the story?

Is it really that bad? Do you get tough deadlines and a lot of pressure from your superiors? Do you find the NJT organization to treat and value you well? Is the pay less than you deserve? What annoys you the most about your job and what do you like best?

Thanks for your response and sorry if I come off some type of way. I mean no harm.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 02-18-2019 at 06:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 06:17 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,382 times
Don't forget they have to drive NJ roads with drivers that don't care about buses, don't want to get stuck behind one, etc. Then they have to deal with traffic, the people that ride the buses. I don't think the pay is really what it should be for the job. I know they worked without a union contract for a few years.

Schedules are probably picked by seniority, so to get a good schedule may take years. I used to ride a bus that started in Warwick, NY and went to Port Authority. Then the bus would get parked in Weehawken, and the driver returned about 6hrs later to make the return trip. This particular driver found work in a store near PA in NY, otherwise he basically would have sat around for 6hrs. He probably put in over a 14hr day. Bus drivers have to have a commercial drivers license and a passenger endorsement, a physical, and a background check.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:38 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,628,707 times
I know a few people in the past who were retired that eventually had to go back to work for health benefits. Some went to work for NJT and were pretty miserable about it.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:28 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,293,896 times
They do drive some pretty old buses, I see the 120 by my job all the time, that alone must suck

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-18-2019, 03:14 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,868,278 times
Have you asked the bus drivers?

Old 02-18-2019, 06:17 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
If I had a job where I did not have access to a bathroom when needed I would be pretty unhappy too.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:49 PM

357 posts, read 284,857 times
i have no idea how bad it is, but i agree that most are angry and disgruntled. my husband and i used to ride the bus into midtown every morning together until one day a crazy driver decided he'd drive that rolling barge down a narrow street at about 90 mph. the bus was leaning on tight curves that i thought for sure we'd roll over. that was it for me. i was a NY waterway ferry customer from that point on.

whatever their problem it's far worse being a passenger.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:00 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
I used to know someone who drove a bus (not for NJT), and he didn't love it. The schedulers assumed he could run the route in an hour. They built in a 15-minute break before he'd have to start the route back. The problem is that the ACTUAL run time was much more than an hour, so he never got the break. He worked a full shift sometimes with no food or bathroom break. He told me he'd urinate in a can or a plastic bag if he had a minute between runs.

And then there's the passengers. Most are fine, but you occasionally get one who wants to argue with the driver, spit on the driver, etc.

I'd be grumpy too if that were my job day in and day out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: