Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 04:46 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking1337 View Post
Whenever I say the words "New Jersey", the upper half of my body shivers. The tolls are frenetic and are about to get worse.

Is there anything good here? I'm talking about Jersey City and Newark of course. The other counties have too high taxes for such a dump.

Is New Jersey just a sh*ttier version of long island? I know long island has nice beaches on the north side with those bluffs, CT doesn't but it does have access to water, but New Jersey... what do I get to see? Wasteland?
Diversity is a big plus here.

If people don't care about diversity, and a LOT of people here have stated they don't, then ... I'm not sure why they don't move to Oklahoma or something. Or maybe South Carolina if you like the beach.

It'd be a lot cheaper to live and you'd have a lot of the same stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 05:02 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,493,051 times
Quote:
Whenever I say the words "New Jersey", the upper half of my body shivers. The tolls are frenetic and are about to get worse.

Is there anything good here? I'm talking about Jersey City and Newark of course. The other counties have too high taxes for such a dump.

Is New Jersey just a sh*ttier version of long island? I know long island has nice beaches on the north side with those bluffs, CT doesn't but it does have access to water, but New Jersey... what do I get to see? Wasteland?
Well the "main part" of NJ is the suburbia. Suburban North Jersey is extremely safe, nice neighborhoods, and offers things to do. Eastern North Jersey sucks with the tolls, the parkway, and the turnpike. NJ offers beaches, some woods lol, and lots of ammenities.

I've spoken to Long Islanders and they said North Jersey is actually a better version of Long Island. Long Island is too crowded and some LI neighborhoods have lost their charm over years. North Jersey suburbs still have charm to them.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:38 PM

122 posts, read 122,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
jersey city and newark are the more desirable places in nj according to you?
The rest of the counties/towns are either too far away or have too high property taxes, which eat into the valuations and cause property to be cheap. If I wanted to pay high taxes, I'd choose to pay high taxes in Long Island where I have the beaches on the north shore. The sandy beaches on south shore and east shore of NJ have too many hippies recently.

Taxing on income is the way to go because when I retire and dont report income tax on rental properties , my property tax still needs to be paid so, I'd rather pay 5k than 15k.

Eventually I want to get the hell out of here, so buying in low tax zones like JC, NW are the way to go as the property will sky rocket over time, compared to most high tax zones.

JC is too expensive for me, at least the northern side. Newark looks like a sweet deal. I lived in NYC hood for a while, but even Newark got me scratching my head a bit. That is something special.

The school argument get's to me though. I grew up in brownsville and went to school there. I never thought I would work for a hedge fund today, albeit not the best one, I smile with some of my missing teeth... but I spy with my little eye a school, in Newark, that is good!!! Apparently it's by Newark Penn Station.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:48 PM

122 posts, read 122,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Diversity is a big plus here.

If people don't care about diversity, and a LOT of people here have stated they don't, then ... I'm not sure why they don't move to Oklahoma or something. Or maybe South Carolina if you like the beach.

It'd be a lot cheaper to live and you'd have a lot of the same stuff.
I don't like diversity, but after 20 years in NYC, i must admit, I like the sunday morning wakeup at 5am to a hoodrat in tinted tahoe blasting snoop dog, usually a black gangster or a spanish gang member. Then you got the italian mafia patrolling the block. It's like in the movies, except it's real. Then I moved to a white neighborhood, and I miss the hood. 9 days out of 7 there would be stuff going down.

I remember when my father moved us into the straight hood back in the 90s. He was getting eyes from all the Dominicans like what is he doing here, until he bought everyone a bottle of russian vodka as they do in motherland, and few months later when a cop was writing him a ticket, the boys threatened to beat the living sh*t out of the cop. Boy were the times good in the 90s. Everyone was playing ball in the streets, no one gave a sh*t about anything. That was the life. Now, not so much anymore over in brooklyn.

I don't really like what happened to brooklyn recently though. Everyone is just looking at their phones and all the hood rats are elsewhere. Brownsville and Pennsylvania Avenue/Grandconcourse keep it real though, still.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:00 PM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
your life sounds very boring.....

Old 04-02-2019, 08:23 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Is NJ that bad? We've got high tolls, high taxes, high housing prices, high rent, high parking fees, high crime in our cities, lousy road maintenance, terrible transit, few employers, heavy traffic, corrupt politicians, laws against pretty much any recreational activity you care to engage in, ridiculous liquor laws, beach tags, oh and did I mention the taxes? So, yeah.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:12 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,754,022 times
This guy cracks me up. Got a real good laugh out of this.

Old 04-03-2019, 03:45 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:

Troll...............................

Old 04-03-2019, 06:35 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,908,099 times
New Jersey wins over Long Island in three main areas:

(1) NJ has better accessibility to Manhattan. (LI commuters have to ride through all of Queens to get to work while we just have to cross the Hudson River)

(2) NJ rents are a notch cheaper by comparison due to our abundance of run-down cities.

(3) NJ has better accessibility to the rest of the country than LI which is cut off from the rest of the world (so there is much less of a headache with tolls and traffic jams when going on a road trip or doing anything else in other states).

Those are the glaring advantages NJ has over LI. We can also get into some things like topography, safety from hurricanes (at least for North Jersey), lower sales tax and other stuff.

The only reason why Long Island has a better reputation than Jersey is simply because it is within New York State. NJ obviously has a huge social stigma for simply just being New Jersey.

Bottom-line: If I had to pick between the two then I would pick NJ over LI; especially as a younger person with no kids who doesn't want to live in complete suburbia. Obviously, the best option is to not live in either place and to move to a cheaper region altogether. Scores of people each year are leaving both LI and NJ for this very reason.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 04-03-2019 at 07:02 AM..

Old 04-03-2019, 06:51 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Quote:

Apparently the source of your knowledge of NJ is corrupt.

Shivering and shuttering is directed at voters who keep NJ last on lists of best places and first on list of worst places. And at fringe voters who happened to be the majority when they arrived at the polls. In the last election, that minority installed a governor, who now imposes rabid liberal laws to make the state more unlivable. Something the conscious residents thought was impossible to achieve.

Without the insanity of befuddled and confused participating in elections, NJ is a wonderland of natural diversity.

NJ has now been declared a sanctuary state. how bad can that be? We may not be able to attract busineses, but we sure can attract illegal aliens.

What you may find very attractive about NJ, is the firearm magazine capacity has been reduced from 15 to 10 rounds. That alone will make NJ the safest place on the planet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey