Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 12:00 PM

14 posts, read 18,460 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are moving to Newark in the fall for a temporary job, and we're looking at places to live. We'll only be there for a year, so we're looking for temporary housing. We have a baby who will be 9 months old when we move. I'll be working at the courthouse and would like to live close enough to walk or take the bus so we don't have to buy a second car. What are some safe neighborhoods in the downtown area? We want a neighborhood where my wife feels safe going out with the baby during the day. I've heard Ironbound and University Heights are safe. What other neighborhoods would be safe enough for my wife to walk my baby during the day or go on runs alone in the morning or evenings? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 04:59 PM

23,539 posts, read 17,214,216 times
Newark is a sanctuary city, within a sanctuary state, examples of released felons murdering people, so good luck finding a safe place in Newark or any other part of the state.

Of course designating Newark a sanctuary state does not guarantee you will find sanctuary there from criminal elements. unbroken string of murders since the 1960s.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:10 PM

55 posts, read 63,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pabigelow5 View Post
Hi everyone,

My wife and I are moving to Newark in the fall for a temporary job, and we're looking at places to live. We'll only be there for a year, so we're looking for temporary housing. We have a baby who will be 9 months old when we move. I'll be working at the courthouse and would like to live close enough to walk or take the bus so we don't have to buy a second car. What are some safe neighborhoods in the downtown area? We want a neighborhood where my wife feels safe going out with the baby during the day. I've heard Ironbound and University Heights are safe. What other neighborhoods would be safe enough for my wife to walk my baby during the day or go on runs alone in the morning or evenings? Thanks!
The likelihood of finding a safe neighborhood in Newark NJ is slim to none. There is a gated community near downtown Newark named Society Hill. Downtown Newark is actually very nice in comparison to the rest of Newark. Another option is Hillside NJ, but not the side of town that borders Newark. You’d be better off on the side that borders Union.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:12 PM

625 posts, read 797,035 times
The Ironbound is too far to walk to the court house. 7-10 min drive.

Safest area in the Ironbound are the streets around Ann Street school off NY Ave and Elm Rd.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:42 PM

650 posts, read 774,559 times
You can live in Hoboken and commute there.

Old 03-26-2019, 03:09 AM

862 posts, read 975,211 times
Lets say you lived in Ironbound it's still far to walk and crossing Route 21 may endanger your life. University heights is kinda ok during the day when the schools are open but you have to stay on University Ave. I would just get two cars and live in a safe town and just drive to work.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:24 AM

538 posts, read 732,802 times
Society Hill is the obvious first place to look. Likewise University Heights would be a fairly short walk (10 min), some areas of downtown (something like the Hahne building would be something I'd look into) would likely be 15 minutes or so and could work. You could live in a nearby down and commute to either of the train stations which are about a 20 minute walk. The Ironbound would likely be 30 minutes.

There are a lot of people here that think that everyone that steps foot into Newark immediately is murdered, which certainly isn't the case. I live in South Orange, which borders Newark and when we're lazy on the weekends we usually grab breakfast at the Ivy Hill Dunkin' and we haven't been murdered yet! That said, Newark is definitely a city where crime is never too far away and a lot of residents live in poverty. It can be hard to get a good read on Newark on this board in particular as there aren't a ton of Newark residents that post here (there are a few Ironbound residents) and most of the people that post about Newark are essentially cheering on a negative attitude toward the city as a whole and aren't really open to the idea that people actually do live there.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:38 AM

1,142 posts, read 858,195 times
The safest area in Newark is definitely Ironbound, but even there you have to be careful. I am sure you can take a bus from there to the Court House area. There are many buses running throughout Newark very frequently, but check google maps to see where the bus stops are located. Most likely, no one will really bother you when minding your own business unless you look for trouble. I travel through the worse areas of Newark via bus very often and even being the only white person on the bus in some areas, no one bothers me and I keep to myself. Ironbound is actually a decent area to live as long as you don't own a car, because parking over there can be nearly impossible. It is within walking distance to Newark Penn Station so you can take PATH train to NYC anytime you wish. The person above me is correct......you are not going to be murdered the second you walk into Newark. But, yes, there are areas that are extremely dangerous, especially at night. Ironbound is the safest I'd say.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:49 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,985,053 times
Everybody is stating Ironbound, but honestly the Ironbound is extremely "crowded" IMO. I'd recommend looking by the Whole Foods on Broad Street. I actually live in Harrison (next town over), but my first choice was the Hahne building (which is the same building as the Whole Foods).

I LOVED this building! It was extremely quiet and I love that there was ground floor parking. Also, it's a very diverse area and you see all types of people walking around.

This is an up & coming area and the rent is around $2K for a 1 bedroom in this building. IF you are looking to stay in Newark, I'd stay by this area.

I eventually chose Urby in Harrison because it had more amenities and I was originally planning to move with my younger brother, so the younger crowd would be better for him. If I was looking to live alone I would have chosen the Hahne building even though it had fewer amenities.

I like Newark a lot. Once my lease is up in a year and a half, I plan to buy some property over there by Branch Brook park, or the Forest Hills section.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:29 PM

56 posts, read 52,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qrysdonnell View Post
Society Hill is the obvious first place to look. Likewise University Heights would be a fairly short walk (10 min), some areas of downtown (something like the Hahne building would be something I'd look into) would likely be 15 minutes or so and could work. You could live in a nearby down and commute to either of the train stations which are about a 20 minute walk. The Ironbound would likely be 30 minutes.

There are a lot of people here that think that everyone that steps foot into Newark immediately is murdered, which certainly isn't the case. I live in South Orange, which borders Newark and when we're lazy on the weekends we usually grab breakfast at the Ivy Hill Dunkin' and we haven't been murdered yet! That said, Newark is definitely a city where crime is never too far away and a lot of residents live in poverty. It can be hard to get a good read on Newark on this board in particular as there aren't a ton of Newark residents that post here (there are a few Ironbound residents) and most of the people that post about Newark are essentially cheering on a negative attitude toward the city as a whole and aren't really open to the idea that people actually do live there.
Essentially this, coming on this board and talking about Newark does not give you a proper view of the city. Honestly, go to Newark's reddit page for a proper out look on the city. The Ironbound is a safe bet, but I would also recommend the Forest Hill section of Newark. It really is Newark's safest and quietest neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey