Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 03:29 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times

Advertisements

NJ is just a poor man's Greenwich, CT for bankers that are too cheap to pay $600/month to commute into NYC. We look at all of those people riding the PATH of NJT into city. Majority of these people have better jobs than those transplants riding the subway from Brooklyn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 09:09 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Seriously I don't care , we have some of the "Best Food in the World in NJ and ........................we can claim
Springsteen , Nicholson and ...Sinatra, to hell with everyone else!

Old 06-05-2019, 12:42 PM

128 posts, read 168,505 times
Ever notice that NJ is the only state in the country that people will say derogatory things about directly to someone from that state? If you do that to someone from any other state, they would become highly offended. I can't imagine saying to someone from Iowa or Kentucky or Idaho or anywhere else..."oh that sucks" after them telling me that they were from there.

Old 06-05-2019, 05:23 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebloke View Post
Ever notice that NJ is the only state in the country that people will say derogatory things about directly to someone from that state? If you do that to someone from any other state, they would become highly offended. I can't imagine saying to someone from Iowa or Kentucky or Idaho or anywhere else..."oh that sucks" after them telling me that they were from there.
Either that or they laugh and ask, "What exit?"

Old 06-06-2019, 05:56 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,420,706 times
Maybe not being mocked, but certainly not being given its due. We just flew back from Europe, arriving in Newark airport EWR. All the announcements on the flight said the flight was to New York. Weather in New York, and so on and so forth. Flight was over 9 hours and never once mentioned Newark or New Jersey.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:37 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Maybe not being mocked, but certainly not being given its due. We just flew back from Europe, arriving in Newark airport EWR. All the announcements on the flight said the flight was to New York. Weather in New York, and so on and so forth. Flight was over 9 hours and never once mentioned Newark or New Jersey.
In the early '30s, Fiorelllo LaGuardia was a US Congressman from NYC, and in those days NYC did not have an airport. However, EWR was already in business and--in effect--served as the airport for NYC, as well as NJ.

On one of LaGuardia's flights home from DC, he noticed that the ticket for his flight to EWR stated "Washington to New York". At EWR, he convened reporters and loudly demanded that the airline transport him to NYC if they didn't want to be accused of consumer fraud. Whether the airline paid for a taxi to transport him to NYC is unknown, but his grandstanding on the issue of NYC's lack of an airport did lead to the building of one in Queens. That facility finally opened in 1939, and--fittingly--it was named in honor of Fiorello LaGuardia.

Old 06-06-2019, 07:51 AM

596 posts, read 895,552 times
NJ is an ugly cousin of NY who can't find her own date.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:08 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atsushi View Post
NJ is an ugly cousin of NY who can't find her own date.
Let’s be realistic here. The only real attraction of NY is the Island of Manhattan. Separate out Manhattan, and where would you rather live? Queens? States Island? Brooklyn? The Bronx? Or Northern NJ?

I would take Northern NJ any day over any of those places.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:20 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Let’s be realistic here. The only real attraction of NY is the Island of Manhattan. Separate out Manhattan, and where would you rather live? Queens? States Island? Brooklyn? The Bronx? Or Northern NJ?

I would take Northern NJ any day over any of those places.
Central NJ is actually quite nice in many areas, some are going down hill ... I used to live there... but I felt it became unsafe with many illegals coming into a nice quiet beach town. They would rent a house and move in 20 people . I sold my home and I moved to Florida.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:21 PM

146 posts, read 123,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Seriously I don't care , we have some of the "Best Food in the World in NJ and ........................we can claim
Springsteen , Nicholson and ...Sinatra, to hell with everyone else!
I see Springsteen as a big minus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey