Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 04:51 PM

650 posts, read 775,391 times

Advertisements

https://www.redfin.com/NJ/Teaneck/38...m_content=link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2019, 04:54 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewin888 View Post
1 BR 1 Bath, and still a converted garden apartment.

Old 07-04-2019, 04:54 PM

650 posts, read 775,391 times
https://www.redfin.com/NJ/Union-City...m_content=link

You donot know nj real estate at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That didn't sound right to me, so I looked on Realtor.com. The cheapest condo in Teaneck is $220K, and it was built in 1959 and looks like a converted garden apartment, which probably means you don't even have in-unit laundry (didn't see any in the pictures, either.)

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...row-home-co-op

The only places I know of as cheap as the OP mentioned are the Alfred Vail Mutual Association Co-ops in Shrewsbury Township. There are bus and train commuting options, but the commute is not short.

You can walk to a supermarket and other stores, though, and Red Bank's downtown with bars and restaurants and shops is only 2 miles away.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...row-home-co-op

Old 07-04-2019, 04:57 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewin888 View Post
https://www.redfin.com/NJ/Union-City...m_content=link

You donot know nj real estate at all.
LMAO. Ain't you so big and special.

Not parts of NJ that look like that, no I don't.

Still not 2 and 2 under $130K.

Old 07-07-2019, 12:15 PM

32 posts, read 36,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Check out East Orange near the Brick Church station. Previously pretty grim, but definitely on its way up. Excellent commute. Not much going on in the immediate vicinity, but close to several towns with great downtowns (South Orange, Maplewood, Montclair).

There's a mini-migration of Maplewood/South Orange empty-nesters selling their houses and moving to Harrison Park Towers in East Orange. I'll be joining them next month. Don't get too excited about the sales prices because the monthly maintenance is a lot higher than you would pay for a condo, but it includes all taxes and utilities and in the end it's a great bargain for living in the area. There are regular condos in the area, but I don't think you'll find anything you'd want to live in for $130,000.

(Guaranteed: The next poster will warn of certain death if you set foot in East Orange.)
EO is a complete ***t hole. I would not recommend Eo!! The brick church station is not all that great either. Yeah, its pretty convenient to Penn station (about 22-25 mins) but it is also a ***t hole in itself. Its crawling with homeless people and creepy cab drivers. The area around the brick church station is not that great as well, S Harrison St is nice. The city reeks of mary jane if you know what im talking about, because so many people there are on it. Just spare yourself the bs and stay out of EO. It is changing however, its by no means happening rapidly. Still has a LONG way to go. Would not recommend EO (I lived in different areas of EO for years, have family there).

1. Close to NYC: Yes
2. Good public transportation and walkable downtown with amenities close by: No downtown area, the closest you’ll get is main street and central ave aka ghetto avenue. Transportation by train into penn is less then adequate because the train line sucks.
3. Condos and townhomes for around 130k or less (2 bedroom 2 bath if possible): Yes. But chances are they'll be very old, outdated and/or next to an abandoned house, etc.
4. Relatively safe areas (also schools don't matter to me since I don't have any children at the moment): Negative F

Also, the Morris-Essex train line is notorious for having problems (late trains, delays GALORE, constant crowdedness), especially during rush hour. I cannot tell you how many times they canceled the midtown direct train in and out of NYC at rush hour during the work week, outside of rush hour you're good to go. All in all, I would say don’t bother with EO. Try counties farther west, (bear in mind your commute time/cost will increase). The neighboring cities, South Orange, Montclair, Bloomfield are MUCH better but, you will not find a townhome in that price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey