Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 06:54 AM

30 posts, read 168,019 times

Advertisements

Hi, I will be moving to US in the next couple of months and my work place is going to be in Manhatten, NY (World Financial Center). I will be coming with my wife and we are expecting our first child in the next 6 months time!!
I am looking for a 2 bedroom apartment in Jersey city close to the path train so that I may easily commute to NY.
Some of the online searches yielded apartments around 1500$ per month in the following areas: Newark Avenue, Hopkins Avenue, Duncan Street, 109 Stuyvesant, Skillman Avenue, Harrison Avenue, Pacific Avenue, Ferry Street, Ogden Avenue, Kennedy Blvd., Van Wagenen Ave.....all in jersey city!!

Can someone help me in identifying a good, safe area among the ones listed above or any other place that might be good for me.

The main considerations for me are closeness to path train, safety as my wife will be alone at home, medical facilities and the budget i am looking at is around 1500$ per month....a 2 bedroom apartmentis good for me.

I also heard that Harrison, Kearny might also be good options??

Thanks for all your help...its greatly appreciated
Regards,
RA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 11:51 AM

Default Help

Someone please reply and help

Old 10-19-2007, 01:53 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince33c View Post
Hi, I will be moving to US in the next couple of months and my work place is going to be in Manhatten, NY (World Financial Center). I will be coming with my wife and we are expecting our first child in the next 6 months time!!
I am looking for a 2 bedroom apartment in Jersey city close to the path train so that I may easily commute to NY.
Some of the online searches yielded apartments around 1500$ per month in the following areas: Newark Avenue, Hopkins Avenue, Duncan Street, 109 Stuyvesant, Skillman Avenue, Harrison Avenue, Pacific Avenue, Ferry Street, Ogden Avenue, Kennedy Blvd., Van Wagenen Ave.....all in jersey city!!

Can someone help me in identifying a good, safe area among the ones listed above or any other place that might be good for me.

The main considerations for me are closeness to path train, safety as my wife will be alone at home, medical facilities and the budget i am looking at is around 1500$ per month....a 2 bedroom apartmentis good for me.

I also heard that Harrison, Kearny might also be good options??

Thanks for all your help...its greatly appreciated
Regards,
RA
The streets I've bolded STAY AWAY FROM especially Duncan Ave.
Kennedy Blvd, depends on where as the Kennedy Blvd runs the whole of Jersey City.

Downtown would be ideal but you are not going to find a 2 bedroom for $1500 a month down there.
There are still decent areas in the JC Heights but I'm not familiar with that area anymore so maybe some body else will chime in.

Here is a link for the Jersey City newspaper..it will somewhat give you an idea of the crime in Jersey City:

NJ.com: Everything Jersey

Old 10-19-2007, 02:03 PM

66 posts, read 387,069 times
Hello
I have lived in Jersey City for the past 6 yrs and I would not live anywhere near the areas you have mentioned.
I lived very near Journal Square for 2 yrs and lived in total fear as the streets r not safe at nights and my husband had night shifts.
Jersey City is definately developing and getting better but if I were in your place I would look for something in downtown jersey city with a doorman and security.
Newport and Exchange Place are good areas in downtown JC. The place I live right now is on route 440 and is a closed community with security at the gates.
Unfortunately you will not get anything for $1500/.
Believe me when I say you do not want to live in fear so its better u shell out a little more and have peace of mind.
Good Luck !!

Old 10-19-2007, 06:34 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times
If you can't afford to live downtown probably one of the safets areas with rent from 800-1,500 will be the heights area. West of Kennedy Blvd. is the safest area and you should look for a two family house that is owner occupied. The western slope area of the heights is in this area and I would recommend that area. Jersey Man is also a "former" Jersey City guy

Old 10-21-2007, 06:46 PM

72 posts, read 281,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
If you can't afford to live downtown probably one of the safets areas with rent from 800-1,500 will be the heights area. West of Kennedy Blvd. is the safest area and you should look for a two family house that is owner occupied. The western slope area of the heights is in this area and I would recommend that area. Jersey Man is also a "former" Jersey City guy
I agree with the places stated above. Also, there are good deals around the NJCU area (BELOW/WEST of Kennedy Blvd). Nice quiet neighborhoods with working class families. I've seen a bunch of deals on Craigslist......Just stay away from Bergen Ave/Ocean/MLK/Grant ave....and you should be safe.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:32 AM

Hi All, Thanks a lot for all this information. This is really helpful. Another place that someone recommended me was in Harrison. Does anyone have some information to share on it??

Old 10-22-2007, 06:38 AM

828 posts, read 3,138,455 times
Why does it have to be Jersey City?
Most of the neighborhoods that you mentioned are extremely high crime areas.
Look into Bayonne, preferably the West side or downtown below 7th street, and then take the Light Rail to JC.
Also towns like Cliffside Park are a bus trip away from the PATH.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:20 PM

204 posts, read 635,173 times
if you have a family and a budget of $1500, I agree with Bayonne and Jersey City Heights or Journal Square. I'm moving to the western slope of Jersey City Heights as it looks really nice compare to the rest and it is convenient if I want to drive to NYC sometimes. Newark Avenue (ok), Hopkins Avenue (decent), Duncan Street (stay away), 109 Stuyvesant (don't know), Skillman Avenue (don't know), Harrison Avenue (don't know), Pacific Avenue (stay away), Ferry Street (don't know), Ogden Avenue(don't know), Kennedy Blvd.(varies), Van Wagenen Ave (don't know).....

Also, make sure you go and check them out before you commit in email. Alot of the cheaper places is pretty run down so it may sounds good on paper but you will regret it once you go there.

Maybe you could look at Brooklyn? I know my cousins just moved there recently for around that price for 2 bedroom and I liked their place. I'm not familiar with Brooklyn though.

Last edited by va-jc; 10-22-2007 at 01:37 PM..

Old 10-23-2007, 02:18 PM

6 posts, read 66,138 times
Ogden avenue is actually very nice. I believe the homes on the eat side of Ogden overlook Hoboken and NYC since they're right on the cliff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey